Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #301 of 2,153
Defend the product all you want. Sounds like you really want to believe. It's certainly your right. Just understand that attacking me won't change the product's topology. Seeing how you think a little wallwart makes for a proper PSU for amp/DAC, there really isn't anything else to discuss. Good luck.

You're wrong. Apologize and get over it. And definitely don't put this on me.

This is what happens when head-fi users have a monstrous ego and can't admit they're wrong. Live and learn.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #302 of 2,153
For somebody with no real headphones, you sure care a lot about the PSU. I'm 99% sure that with an HD 600 (or whatever your best headphone is), it won't make an ounce of audible difference.

I don't understand why you feel the need to insult me.

Actually, I own a real audio system that's situated in a treated, dedicated room fed from its own subpanel.

BTW, Stereophile - the premier audio publication, the real kind - ranks HD600/650, K701/2 along with HD800, LCD-whatever, the Abyss, etc all in Class-A. That's because it's not about the price, as you seem to imply, but about the sound quality. Anyone can click on my profile and see what I use.

It's not about whether you're right or not. It's about you being annoying and not explaining yourself properly. I happen to agree with you on the PSU, but I definitely don't agree with your "logic". Good day.

By admitting that you agree, essentially, you're posting just to argue. A waste of my time. No thanks.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #304 of 2,153
I don't understand why you feel the need to insult me.

Actually, I own a real audio system that's situated in a treated, dedicated room fed from its own subpanel.

BTW, Stereophile - the premier audio publication, the real kind - ranks HD600/650, K701/2 along with HD800, LCD-whatever, the Abyss, etc all in Class-A. That's because it's not about the price, as you seem to imply, but about the sound quality. Anyone can click on my profile and see what I use.
By admitting that you agree, essentially, you're posting just to argue. A waste of my time. No thanks.

If ranking is irrespective than price, that would have to mean the the HD600/650 is sound-wise as good (or at least very close) to the HD 800 and Abyss. Seeing that we both agree that the HD 800 is better by a wide margin, it doesn't make sense to put them all in class-A - unless, of course, he's going by a price/performance ratio, which you are clearly against.

About you, there are logical points which you refuse to answer. Your refusal in the beginning to explain yourself, your hopping between USB-powered and the small wallwort for reasoning behind your claim, our debunking of the USB-powered gripe, as evidenced by the Hugo and others, and most of all, your refusal to either bring this argument to the actual engineers (who extended their offer to speak to you!) or, if you did, your failure to mention what they said. 

So yes, there's is a lot more wrong with your post besides for your claim.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #305 of 2,153
If ranking is irrespective than price, that would have to mean the the HD600/650 is sound-wise as good (or at least very close) to the HD 800 and Abyss. Seeing that we both agree that the HD 800 is better by a wide margin it doesn't make sense to put them all in class-A - unless, of course, he's going by a price/performance ratio, which you are clearly against.

We don't agree. I never said such a thing and will no longer respond to your posts. Nor do I know who "he" is. You're taking this thread way off-topic solely for the possibility of landing a shot. Pathetic, really.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #306 of 2,153
We don't agree. I never said such a thing and will no longer respond to your posts. Nor do I know who "he" is. You're taking this thread way off-topic solely for the possibility of landing a shot. Pathetic, really.

We spoke in the PM's, and you clearly said that the K7XX is objectively dwarved by the HD 800. I extended that to the HD 600; if you don't like that, then exchange what I said about the HD 600 with the K7XX. I also think you have to be a lunatic to think the HD 600 comes anywhere close to the HD 800.

"He" is Stereophile, who you mentioned in your last post.

Anyway, on topic, for anyone who's interested, review should be finalized tonight. All there's really to add is the pictures, and the filters section. Otherwise, enjoy!

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #307 of 2,153
We spoke in the PM's, and you clearly said that the K7XX is objectively dwarved by the HD 800. I extended that to the HD 600; if you don't like that, then exchange what I said about the HD 600 with the K7XX. I also think you have to be a lunatic to think the HD 600 comes anywhere close to the HD 800.

"He" is Stereophile, who you mentioned in your last post.

Anyway, on topic, for anyone who's interested, review should be finalized tonight. All there's really to add is the pictures, and the filters section. Otherwise, enjoy!

You were asking about K7XX, which I said was not nearly as good as the HD800. I also said that I'd much rather have K702 than the HD800. You asked me more questions that made no sense, and I ended our conversation.

FWIW, K7XX is not rated Class-A. I don't think it's rated at all, actually.

At the risk of being pedantic, a magazine is an "it," not a "he."

Please stop misrepresenting my comments. I really have nothing to say to you, same as in the nonsensical PMs you sent me. Actually, to save time I'll just block you.

Edit: blocked

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #308 of 2,153
I have no desire to engage in an argument here, so I'll simply give my point of view and leave it at that. Imho, battery or USB power CAN be a viable option - when done well. That's the key and it certainly isn't done well in every case. Examples of really well done gear include the previously mentioned Chord Hugo and the Resonessence Labs Concero family. Counterexamples abound. 

When very careful attention is paid, USB power can be cleaned up well enough to give very pleasing results. Will it sound as good as something with a "proper" linear PSU? Hard to say, but often times the size of the device in question precludes this from happening. So it's hard to say. I do prefer the Concero products or the m9XX to DACs like the Bryston BDA-1 despite the latter having a more traditional audiophile-approved PSU. I submit there are other factors at play which make a bigger difference in that particular comparison. I also like the Chord Hugo more than Arcam's D33 which is a more expensive, larger design with a traditional PSU. Again, lots of factors in play.

In short, the m9XX is good enough to sit along side far more expensive gear and not feel out of place. I used it last week with a set of JansZen active hybrid electrostatic speakers ($15k) and it performed very respectably. Did it match my Resonessence Invicta Mirus or Calyx Femto? Nope. But I wouldn't expect it to. Still, a lot of sub-$1k DACs I have on hand did not sound good at all with the revealing JansZen setup. Make of that what you will.

If the prospect of USB power still bothers you then obviously stay away, just as you would with any other design concept which doesn't sit well with your sensibilities (NOS, tubes, Sabre DAC, whatever). That approach works well for me. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #309 of 2,153
  I have no desire to engage in an argument here, so I'll simply give my point of view and leave it at that. Imho, battery or USB power CAN be a viable option - when done well. That's the key and it certainly isn't done well in every case. Examples of really well done gear include the previously mentioned Chord Hugo and the Resonessence Labs Concero family. Counterexamples abound. 

When very careful attention is paid, USB power can be cleaned up well enough to give very pleasing results. Will it sound as good as something with a "proper" linear PSU? Hard to say, but often times the size of the device in question precludes this from happening. So it's hard to say. I do prefer the Concero products or the m9XX to DACs like the Bryston BDA-1 despite the latter having a more traditional audiophile-approved PSU. I submit there are other factors at play which make a bigger difference in that particular comparison. I also like the Chord Hugo more than Arcam's D33 which is a more expensive, larger design with a traditional PSU. Again, lots of factors in play.

In short, the m9XX is good enough to sit along side far more expensive gear and not feel out of place. I used it last week with a set of JansZen active hybrid electrostatic speakers ($15k) and it performed very respectably. Did it match my Resonessence Invicta Mirus or Calyx Femto? Nope. But I wouldn't expect it to. Still, a lot of sub-$1k DACs I have on hand did not sound good at all with the revealing JansZen setup. Make of that what you will.

If the prospect of USB power still bothers you then obviously stay away, just as you would with any other design concept which doesn't sit well with your sensibilities (NOS, tubes, Sabre DAC, whatever). That approach works well for me. 

Thanks for the pictures! That's my new goal now 
biggrin.gif

It's reasonable to say that this argument is over. Anyone reading the thread can choose whatever side they like, although I don't think it's much of a contest given the amount of logic I tried to stick to in my posts. Not the first time I had to handle Shaffer, though it's definitely going to be my last. Nice to be reminded of that blocking feature.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #310 of 2,153
To Avitron142: I read your review and saw you didn't care for the HD650 with the m9xx and suggested the Aune X1s as a better option. Did you happen to try jazz or classical with the HD650? Did it really sound so bad? I was hoping to use the HD650 and the Alpha Prime with the m9xx and was curious why the AuneX1s was a better option (especially since it is less expensive).

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #311 of 2,153
To Avitron142: I read your review and saw you didn't care for the HD650 with the m9xx and suggested the Aune X1s as a better option. Did you happen to try jazz or classical with the HD650? Did it really sound so bad? I was hoping to use the HD650 and the Alpha Prime with the m9xx and was curious why the AuneX1s was a better option (especially since it is less expensive).

Unfortunately, I didn't any jazz music at the time (my hard drive broke). Knowing what I've seen with the m9XX/HD650 pairing, I would take a guess and say that the bloated bass will ruin classical music, and would probably not be great for jazz either. 

The HD650 wasn't burned in though (straight out of the box), so that could have made a big difference. I was surprised to hear the pairing was as bad as it turned out to be, although I was a bit overly critical in the assessments.

The reason I said the X1S would probably be better was because the X1S tightens and cleans up the lower end of every headphone I tried with it. So instead of sounding bloated, the low end of the HD 650 should become a lot cleaner. I haven't tried the two together, so that's just my guess.

Don't know what's the hype with the HD 650, perhaps they sound really good with something like the Bottlehead Crack.

YMMV, as always! I just wish there was someone else to either confirm/reject what I heard.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #313 of 2,153
Was a link to avitron142's review posted and I missed it? Or is it in his sig? [The mobile version of this forum I always use now doesn't show sigs]

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #315 of 2,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back