Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 11, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,848 of 2,153
Has anyone compared the Grace m9XX to the new Micro iDSD Black?

I tried to hop on the recent Head-Fi tour iFi are running for the iDSD Black so I could make that comparison. Alas it seems I wasn't special enough to be selected for it
tongue.gif
. It'd be an interesting comparison for sure but I've now lost what motivation I had to seek it out myself. Maybe some other inquisitive soul shall bravely step forth as our guinea pig.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,850 of 2,153
Should I get the m9xx if I Already own a Mojo? is it considerable different? better somehow? I need a good desktop Dac/Amp for around 5-700. Any suggestions?

Sound wise they're basically identical. I like the features and form factor on the m9XX better than the Mojo. If you want a more functional desktop version of the Mojo, that's basically what the m9XX is.

Edit: for recommendations, what is your headphone(s) and are you in the US?

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,851 of 2,153
Sound wise they're basically identical. I like the features and form factor on the m9XX better than the Mojo. If you want a more functional desktop version of the Mojo, that's basically what the m9XX is.

Hmm, Theres one available on ebay for $450. I was seriously considering it, But if its identical to my mojo soundwise, then it doesnt really make sense for me to buy. Do you have any suggestions for a desktop DAC/AMP combo for around $600? I'm not a big schiit fan though. And yes I'm in the US. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,852 of 2,153
Hmm, Theres one available on ebay for $450. I was seriously considering it, But if its identical to my mojo soundwise, then it doesnt really make sense for me to buy. Do you have any suggestions for a desktop DAC/AMP combo for around $600? I'm not a big schiit fan though. And yes I'm in the US. 

What headphones?

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,854 of 2,153
Right Now, I'd be using the 400i's and X00's. But Planning on getting LCD2 soon. hence the need for a desk dac/amp because I doubt my mojo would power the LCD2 well. 

My rec in that price range wth those headphones would be gustard H10 + Modi Multibit.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,856 of 2,153
Alright! Thanks, looks good! I will have a look. this combo would fare much better than the grace?

The H10 is certainly a more powerful amp and is discrete. And the Modi Multibit is a touch more detailed than the DAC in the m9XX. The m9XX DAC will have a little bit more oomph in the transients than the Modi Multibit, but the H10 should more than makeup for that. The H10 is an extremely dynamic amp, that just plows through hard transients with effortless ease.

Where the m9XX will win out is footprint and looks. The combo of the Modi Multibit and H10 will look a bit odd compared to the sleek, single small box of the m9XX. The crossfeed built into the m9XX is nice as well. But yeah, in absolute sound quality and ability to drive all your headphones, the Modi Multibit and H10 should win out.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,857 of 2,153
The H10 is certainly a more powerful amp and is discrete. And the Modi Multibit is a touch more detailed than the DAC in the m9XX. The m9XX DAC will have a little bit more oomph in the transients than the Modi Multibit, but the H10 should more than makeup for that. The H10 is an extremely dynamic amp, that just plows through hard transients with effortless ease.

Where the m9XX will win out is footprint and looks. The combo of the Modi Multibit and H10 will look a bit odd compared to the sleek, single small box of the m9XX. The crossfeed built into the m9XX is nice as well. But yeah, in absolute sound quality and ability to drive all your headphones, the Modi Multibit and H10 should win out.

another question I had was that massdrop asks you to choose a 'power supply 110 or 220v' . is that just a simple 5v/2a PS? If you get a 110v and I have to use it in a 220v area, will you have to use a step up transformer? or basically any Mobile phone charger can suffice?

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,858 of 2,153

This is an interesting recommendation. I would have figured a Mimby/Jot combo based on all the praise and versatility with power and SE/Balanced options but I see the rec was for something not Schitt. I've been following the H10, almost purchased it a couple times but what pushed me away was the op amp rolling burnouts. I don't think I could keep it in Stock form from all the high praise reviews of after market op amps. I don't think I could resist chasing down some Bursons (for a hefty price unfortunately) and hearing the "improved" signature.

This might be better for another thread, but I'll ask anyway. The biggest attraction of the H10 aside from the power is the claimed tube sound in a SS amp. Can anyone compare the H10 signature to the m9XX? Is it a large departure?

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,859 of 2,153

another question I had was that massdrop asks you to choose a 'power supply 110 or 220v' . is that just a simple 5v/2a PS? If you get a 110v and I have to use it in a 220v area, will you have to use a step up transformer? or basically any Mobile phone charger can suffice?

yep, you can use any 5v/2a PS (almost all mobile phone chargers are this).  I actually have 5v/2a USB outs built in to a few of my power outlets and use those for the "power only" side.  

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,860 of 2,153

yep, you can use any 5v/2a PS (almost all mobile phone chargers are this).  I actually have 5v/2a USB outs built in to a few of my power outlets and use those for the "power only" side.  

Ok. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. Think I'm going to go for the H10. But schiit is a no go for me. I just feel like they over-hype their products to a toxic extent. I will continue my search for a good standalone DAC under $300 to go with the H10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back