Grace 901 vs. Gilmore vs. Sugden vs. EarMax Pro
Apr 1, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 28
The Grace is the end of a long string of upgrades. I started out with HD580 and some DIY things, cmoy based but with the crazy overkill stuff ppl was suggesting too. I was travelling to Japan a lot then and picked up lots of otaku components to try out, caps, resistors, etc. Then I built the World Audio Designs HD83 amp and around that time upgraded to HD600 and Ety ER-4S for travel. Shortly after that I got my first Melos SHA-1 and a Stereo Link USB amp/DAC for work. Then I got the AKG K1000 cans and moved to the output of my Arcam receiver, then went to a pair of ASL Wave-8s. After that I built a pair of Welborne Labs Laurel IIX 300B SET amps and used those to power the AKGs. At about that time the PS Audio 300 power box came along. Then 88Sound turned up and introduced the Grace and it looked like just the amp for me - powers any cans, small enough to travel with, DAC, solid state reliability without the harshness. Optical out from a cheap refurb Sony D-EJ721 is all you need for great sound anywhere. (And you could drive a truck over it and not even get tyre marks.) The RKV may be slightly better with K1000 but I'm all done with amp upgrades, I've reached the point of diminishing returns - I'm happy!

Yep, I've compared the Grace to lots of things! Next project is to build the Bottlehead Straight Eight speakers and see how those 300Bs sound doing what they were designed for.

Apr 1, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 28
Aeberbach,

so u like grace even better than 300b combo. I know sometimes 300b can lack power and distort quite fast but how does sound tube vs solid state compare with akgs.

88Sound

tell me what is the real RKV vs Grace with akgs. I do have my dream setup and actually it seems that ill upgrade with separte preamp and amp (if all goes well) but some little devil inside my head just want to add solid state in future.

Why did u get rid of the hd600 ?

yours

miziq

And like i posted in other thread akg with my el34 amp is doing amazing. I think separte preamp and amp (on higer voltage and bit more of gain) will put me in nirvana. Who will work then
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 28
It's not that the Grace is better than the 300B amps, just different. The main difference is in ease of use. The tubes warm up slowly and do change quite a lot in the first ten minutes, then less and less as they stabilize. The Grace just plugs in and goes.

The big difference is the detail. Of course the Grace is more detailed than the tubes whereas the tubes are more relaxing and blurred. The Grace also wins for soundstage, surprisingly, perhaps because of the clarity.

If cost really isn't an object you should pick up these things yourself and make sure you can return any or all of them. It's an expensive choice to be making based on the recommendation of others.

Apr 1, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #19 of 28
miziq,

Concerning the RKV, Grace, and K1000. The RKV seems to have more bass authority and is slightly rolled off in the extreme high end. Both of these things I believe are deviations from the signal the RKV is being fed and is part of it's signature. This signature works very well with the K1000 which sounds better because of it. The RKV is more powerful also however what I consider full volume can be achieved with the Grace at about two clicks from maximum. The RKV for the same volume is under halfway. There is however not much more usable volume with the RKV because not too far past halfway you will start to hear distortion.

As far as the HD600/Cardas combo goes I consider this an excellent all around phone, decent to excellent on most everything. With all of the phones I currently own I can't think of one recording that sounded better on the HD600's than one of my other phones, hence they rarely got played, so I sold them. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none senario. It also boils down to personal taste and perspective, I want to be close to or on stage. This is an unatural perspective for many but is quite natural for me since this is where most of my live listening has taken place.

I know I said earlier I didn't vote, but I have since voted for the Grace given the original situation. Price no object, RS1's and HD600's. These are all great amps but I think for versatility alone the Grace wins. Also the 5 year transferrable warranty, great build quality, and small size that can be easily stuffed in a suitcase if you're on the road.

When trying to decide between the Gilmore w/DACT & Grace on sound alone with the RS1's, they are so close that a different cable on either one can tilt the balance one way or the other. I still say if I were forced to point out a slight sound difference the Grace is slightly more refined and the Gilmore/DACT is slightly more punchy.

Apr 2, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 28
88Sound

if you consider the Gilmore w/DACT very similar to the Grace 901 in sound but at about half the price, do you think it will make sense to wait for the new Gilmore V2?

the Gilmore V2 will still be a lot less than the 901 and since it is an improved version over the V1, maybe it will even sound better then the 901.

right now, I am deciding between the Gilmore and the 901. I have eliminated the sugden and the EMP is still an option (size, sound, price...) but not as strong as the Gilmore or Grace.

btw, how do I get the DACT on the Gilmore. is that something I have to get when ordering it or is it from a third party.

also, par (pro audio review) gave the 901 an excellent review

Apr 2, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #21 of 28
pureofheart,

Since I built my Gilmore I got the DACT from www.diycable.com . I chose the 100K Stereo version (currently $151.00). I also had to drill the face plate a little to get the DACT to fit. I purchased a DACT volume knob (very heavy stainless steel) but I don't remember where, at the time DIY cable did not carry them.

If you are planning on getting your Gilmore assembled I would ask Justin if he is willing to make that change for you and what the additional charge to include the DACT would be.

I have no comment on the Gilmore V2 sound since I've never heard one. It is quite possible that you could prefer the V1/DACT to the Grace as it is. If sound is your only consideration, and fit & finish, build quality, extended warranty, and other niceties are secondary or even tertiary (I love that word) then I would go with the Gilmore/DACT combo and save around $600.

If however those things including the added versatility of adjusting the sensitivity of the input, coax/optical/AES3 digital connectors to utilize the onboard DAC, RCA and XLR connectors for the analog inputs matter to you then they may be worth the additional bucks.

To make your decision even harder the best price I've seen on the Grace is at www.bayviewproaudio.com , free shipping, and you even get a free microphone (if they're still running that promotion).

Good Luck
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 28
88Sound

do you have jason's email address or any info where he can be reached at - is he the gilmore man?.

thanks for all your input.

this weekend I am planning to go check out the Grace amp. I have not called the store yet but I think a dealer in my area may carry them. at least, according to the Grace website.

Apr 2, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 28
Apr 3, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 28
I knew that's what you meant, just wanted to get him off on the right foot!
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #27 of 28
SumB

I contacted audioadvancements about the limited earmax pro edition - if there is one - and all I got back was a phone number to call (973 875 8705). No, I am not planning on calling them.
Their email subject was 'ear max pro/ r1', so yes, maybe - if they do have a special edition - is probably only sold together with the r1. they probably meant sony's r10 by the way.

I am still considering the earmax but leaning more towards the grace or gilmore.

Sean H

thanks for the info.

88Sound

What will the DACT do to the Gilmore. what does the 'T' stand for?

Apr 4, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 28
pureofheart,

The following quote on what the DACT will do for the Gilmore is from BoyElroy. He said it better than me and I concur completely:

1) bass and bass slam/punch
2) transparency, transparency, transparency
3) smoother and more extended high end response
4) wider and more solid soundstaging.

Danish Audio ConnecT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back