Grace 901 amp review in Stereophile
Feb 24, 2003 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Did anybody see the Grace 901 review in the latest Stereophile? The guy could use a better set of headphones, though.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 13
If someone has a copy, can they post a summary of what was said in that article? Some of us out of the US can't get a hold of those goodies.

Feb 25, 2003 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 13
there was also a review in one of the pro magazines i subscribe to..... i think "Mix." but i forgot which issue. recent though.

incidentally, the reviewer said he liked it (i believe it's the only "pro" headphone amp in existance made specifically for sound quality........... HOWEVER, he did say the DAC was not as good as he hoped... and that DAC probably takes up quite a bit of that $1500 price. it would have been so much better if Grace just dumped the DAC and lowered the price to like $1000. but then again, it's the DAC that makes this unit "pro" and differentiates it from the normal "audiophile" stuff....

Feb 25, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
He obviously prefers a more forward presentation than what those Senns give him...
tongue.gif

Yet he still lists them in his headphone inventory.

Any comments on why you still have them if you don't, supposedly, like them?

Feb 26, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 13
If he thinks the DAC could be left out he's missed the point entirely. It is supposed to be a studio amp for mastering, the DAC allows consistent listening from multiple sources. It's just a bonus that it's such a great headphone amp. I did just buy a SHA Gold but it was for the speaker system, I really don't need any other headphone amp than the Grace.

Feb 26, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 13
naw.... it was i that said the dac should be left out. the reviewer merely said that it wasn't as good as the dedicated dacs he had. i think any studio that's gonna buy a $1500 headphone amp would have their own dacs. but i suppose it would be useful in limited environments.... most studios these days are going towards all digital now..... but still, i think that it would be a better bargain without the DAC... personally, i would bypass the dac too....

and no, it is a headphone amp FIRST, and a monitoring source SECOND. that much is clear. there are other devices that make for a much better monitor controller.... the DAC is definately just a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back