GPS likes/dislikes
Apr 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

inthused

500+ Head-Fier
Unless I'm missing something here, it appears the only threads covering GPS units are outdated. If I am wrong about this please share a link and I will read up on current events.

If I am right, I'm curious before I purchase another unit what others find great about theirs. Personally when not using my Garmin Nuvi 200 in the car I use it on my cycle. I have it velcro mounted to the cover of my leather pouch directly center of my handlebars, inside the windshield. My only problems with an otherwise great low cost unit is: 1. when wearing sunglasses it is difficult to view the screen clearly, and 2. while on the highway the speaker could use more volume to override wind and traffic noise.

My sunglasses are Maui Jim so polarizing isn't an issue and the screen is plenty bright with clear glasses on. I'd like to know if anyone else uses a GPS on their bike with sunglasses, and if theirs gives loud enough commands while cruising in wind and traffic.

Otherwise please share your thoughts about the pros/cons on your unit regardless of my situation.

Lastly if anyone is updating to a newer model and has one for sale that they believe may fit my needs, I am interested and will gladly discuss options.

One option that has to be included though is it must be updateable for maps.

Thanks

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 10
You might consider an android phone, with a bluetooth headset. Or some GPS units have bluetooth, so I'd assume they can transmit the sound to a headset. That might work.

I use a droid with a bluetooth headset and it works wonderfully well.. music when i need it, and it'll interrupt the music with voice directions when I need it. I rarely look at the screen in fact. I'm pretty sure you could drop it in a pocket and not use the screen if you felt comfortable with that.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm still from the old school using a Razor. This droid phone, what is it and what are we talking for monthly fees? I'm guessing it has GPS, but from what little I have learned lately, I think I have to keep it on their FM channel to hear commands. I am truly green with these new toys so please help educate me and hopefully others
beerchug.gif

If it matters I use Verizon down here in the south, ATT sucks, no offense.

It will be greatly appreciated my friend
happy_face1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might consider an android phone, with a bluetooth headset.

I use a Samsung Moment (Android OS), and the GPS is a bit flaky, particularly from a car in the city...often taking a long time to get a proper lock, then only accurate to 100 feet or so. Nevertheless, it usually works fine, and is very handy. Good for finding directions in a strange place, but I wouldn't rely on it for any kind of geocaching or real data logging. Great convenience, mediocre performance as a GPS.

Yes, the phones tend to be expensive, if you calculate the whole yearly cost. Expect an iPhone or Droid to run $100+ up front, plus the expensive (and mandatory) data rate plans. If you're in the USA, the cheapest option is Sprint, by far. Verizon does Android phones like the Droid, AT&T does iPhone.

It's worth noting that the phone-based GPS solutions stream data live from the network. Always up to date that way. If you don't have data coverage, your GPS can still work, but the maps will be blank. Stand-alone GPS units are far more robust, and often pull a better satellite lock. But they require maps to be pre-loaded and often have inferior display/OS.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthused /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are we talking for monthly fees?

Plan on adding $30/month for a data plan, on top of your regular voice plan. Varies from carrier to carrier, but is about right.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Samsung Moment (Android OS), and the GPS is a bit flaky, particularly from a car in the city...often taking a long time to get a proper lock, then only accurate to 100 feet or so. Nevertheless, it usually works fine, and is very handy. Good for finding directions in a strange place, but I wouldn't rely on it for any kind of geocaching or real data logging. Great convenience, mediocre performance as a GPS.

Yes, the phones tend to be expensive, if you calculate the whole yearly cost. Expect an iPhone or Droid to run $100+ up front, plus the expensive (and mandatory) data rate plans. If you're in the USA, the cheapest option is Sprint, by far. Verizon does Android phones like the Droid, AT&T does iPhone.

It's worth noting that the phone-based GPS solutions stream data live from the network. Always up to date that way. If you don't have data coverage, your GPS can still work, but the maps will be blank. Stand-alone GPS units are far more robust, and often pull a better satellite lock. But they require maps to be pre-loaded and often have inferior display/OS.

You Re using Android 1.6 or 1.5. The Droid has 2.1, which has a much improved GPS interface.

-Nkk

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 10
One thing I noticed with the Nuvi 200 (I have the same one) is that the volume gets significantly louder when plugged in even when its set at the same level in the settings. This is quite a strange phenomenon cos I'll be driving around on battery with close to full volume and then connect the power cos its running low only to have her yell at me at every turn all of a sudden!

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 10
Volume or lack of is a problem with all the one's I have had,they seem to be made for newish/silent running vehicles,not thundering V8's.
Whenever I reach the area I am going to I plug an earphone in,otherwise I have to roll all the windows up and take it easy on the throttle.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 10
My Google Nexus One gets a good fix, and can sometimes even locate me with decent precision in a room without windows. Unfortunately I don't have a data plan so I can only use it for navigation if I stick to the precalculated route.

I realize that there are alternative standalone GPS apps but they aren't of very high quality from what I can tell.

Edit: Nevermind that last part. I just found CoPilot Live and it looks amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back