govibe5 vs pimeta?
Sep 1, 2006 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

IEATTEFLON

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone that has heard both can compare the basic sound of these amps. Still deciding on a new portable amp but only thing stopping me is the generic appearance of the govibe where as my pimeta can be put into any enclosure.
plainface.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON
I was wondering if anyone that has heard both can compare the basic sound of these amps. Still deciding on a new portable amp but only thing stopping me is the generic appearance of the govibe where as my pimeta can be put into any enclosure.
plainface.gif

A comparison is difficult since the PIMETA can be configured in so many ways and with many different parts.

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 15
The govibe 5 is a simpler design than the PIMETA and costs about half the price of a nice pimeta.
But that doesn't mean it sounds worse. The chips used in the Govibe are very good!!!
I cannot comment the sound quality because I never heard the govibe5, however a PIMETA is a very nice amplifier and will give you a great sound quality for the price. It will also be bigger than a govibe.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 15
If my upgraded Portaphile X^3 counts as a Pimeta clone (or better?), then the Go-Vibe v5 (powered with 24V) is mainly different -- less mellow (possibly a minus), even more accurate (a plus).

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 15
My GV5 arrived yesterday, and over the weekend I'll be comparing it to my 9V 8620 Pimeta, my 18V OPA627 Pimeta, and my SR-71, using ER-4S's for the comparison. I'll post the results in the "GV5 What?" thread and I'll post a link here.

Edit: I wound up posting here (post #13) instead, since the What? thread is so long at this point.

A tiny bit of history about why I even bought the GV5:

With ER-4S, I find the 8620 Pimeta extremely pleasing, but it's got a little bit of extra treble emphasis. (Goldilocks says "This one's too bright.")

With ER-4S, I find the SR-71 very smooth and emotional, but the highs are a little bit truncated. To some people this is an ideal "fix" to the ER4's extended highs, but I really like those extended highs. (Goldilocks says "This one's too dark.")

With ER-4S, I find the 627 Pimeta to have the right tonal balance, but in transparency it is nowhere close to my Gilmore Lite. (Goldilocks says "This one's pretty good but I want the gourmet version.")

The important point to the above is that which amp I prefer is very much tied to 'phones I'm using and the sound signature I'm trying to get. I have a preferred sound in mind, and I'm trying to find a portable amp that gives it to me through my preferred earphones. If my preferred sound were a little brighter I'd already be there with the 8620, and if it were darker I'd already be there with the SR-71. Your tastes may (probably do) vary from mine.

I'm not ready to assess where the GV5 fits in the above lineup, though my first impression is favorable.

As for casework, couldn't you install the GV5's guts into any case you found or fabricated that supported a Pimeta? It looks to me like the GV5 has the smaller board of the two. While I think the GV5 looks nicer in person than in the photos, I too wouldn't mind if a more premium-looking enclosure (maybe supporting dual 9V too) were available. Perhaps somebody will come up with one.

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I'll post the results in the "GV5 What" thread and I'll post a link here.

Not to pressure you, but please do. I have always enjoyed your reviews and I look forward to this one.

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for the props! I definitely will be listening carefully and posting impressions. The GV5's been burning in for 15 hours now, and will probably reach 23 or 24 before I start evaluating.

(I am not sure whether I personally believe in amp burn-in, but am doing it on the off chance that it might matter, whether I believe in it or not. And anyway I didn't have time to really evaluate it last night.)

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
... snip ...
I have a preferred sound in mind, and I'm trying to find a portable amp that gives it to me through my preferred earphones. If my preferred sound were a little brighter I'd already be there with the 8620, and if it were darker I'd already be there with the SR-71. Your tastes may (probably do) vary from mine. ... snip ...

You may need a 8066/8065 in that PIMETA. Less bright than an 8620/8610, but with more revealing detail = 8066/8065.

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
You may need a 8066/8065 in that PIMETA. Less bright than an 8620/8610, but with more revealing detail = 8066/8065.

Perhaps, but since the 627 is highly regarded in general and since that Pimeta sounds so good to me (just not as transparent as my nonportable rig) I tend to think that what I want is not a differently-chipped Pimeta, but something that's not a Pimeta at all.

Hearing a prototype Mini³ and one of Filburt's PINTs convinced me that unbuffered three-channel designs could not be ruled out as sonic competitors to the Pimeta (among others) despite their low cost and parts count. Given that and an early review of the GV5, I'm currently looking for satisfaction in other designs (today the GV5) rather than in opamprolling the Pimeta.

That's not to say that I won't give up and go back to the Pimeta after all. Just that right now my highest hopes are elsewhere.

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 15
The 627 may be highly regarded, but it's highly regarded for being laid back, not forward. The opamp is practically 80-90% of the total sound flavor in some of the amps you're talking about. $20 or $30 to roll opamps and the flavor of the whole amp may change - a lot cheaper than rolling entire amps. Having tried most of these opamps, I thought the 8065 might be your answer according to what you've written. At any rate, your strategy will work, too - it was just a suggestion.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 15
Tomb, I apologize if I am coming off as difficult; I really don't mean to be. I do appreciate the suggestion, and I'll probably try it out (just not this week). From what Tangent says, it seems the 8065 should run well on 9V; do you find that to be the case?

The reason I'm currently looking elsewhere, though, is that I already like the tonality of the 627 Pimeta, so it's not clear to me that a different opamp will accomplish what I'm really after. What I'm trying to fix is not tonality, but tranparency. My suspicion - and I don't have grounds to call it anything more than that - is that maybe what I'm looking for is to get away from the Pimeta's BUF634s. You've probably read some of the same quotes I have:

Tangent: The 634 sounds good, espeically if you like the Burr-Brown sound, but if you like more transparency it's not as good.

ppl: I have used both the BUF634 and the HA-5002 in headphone amps and overall the 5002 is better if accuracy in the midrange and High end is importent. the downfall of the HA5002 is its low bass

Morsel: The BUF634 is generally considered leper outcast unclean [size=xx-small] (OK, this one is perhaps a bit extreme.)[/size]

The point is not that we should slavishly follow what these folks or others say, but that there seems to be some commonality between what they're saying and the discrepancy in transparency I hear between my 627 Pimeta and my Gilmore. So I'm trying out a non-634 path, just to see where it'll get me.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 15
No problem - your explanation makes perfect sense. Sometimes I make a forum post from the perspective of a debate. Realizing that not everyone takes that objectively, I often think better of it and edit my remarks. In the end, we're all out to satisfy our own senses, so forgive me if I sounded sensitive.

Both my PIMETA's use 2-9V, so I'm not sure my experience is applicable re: single 9V battery. I will say that the 8066/8065 cranks all the way down to when the LED goes out. It's kind've cool to have it work that way all by itself - without the complicated calcs/zener diode/transistor option. That is definite evidence that it eaks out every last drop of the batteries each time. Unfortunately, with double buffers biased into Class A, it doesn't last long in either case.
blink.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 15
All right, here's my short review.

I call this a short review because I am not really temperamentally (or, probably, auditorally) equipped to write a review matching the depth and detail of the really good ones on this site. I'm not those guys. I'm just going to tell you what I hear with ears that are less practiced (and to be honest less patient) than theirs.

The goal: to see which of these portables comes closest to my home Gilmore Lite, an amp whose sound, to me, is that of Truth. My target earphone for this is Ety ER-4S. I want to make this goal very clear because it literally is the only thing I'm aiming for and the only thing I'm writing about. I'm not trying to drive some other headphone or obtain a warm tubey sound or anything else, and I don't think I will have much useful to offer here to those who are.

Test rig: Squeezebox III through 3-way split to Gilmore Lite, GV5, and, in turns, each of the other amps, subjectively volume-matched as best I could. Once I had the best volume match I could attain among the amps, I used the Squeezebox master volume to choose a listening level for each track. I don't have an AB or ABX headphone cable so I just swapped my Ety cable around as efficiently as I could. If you're about to point out that this is a highly imperfect test procedure, believe me, I already know that. (Oh, re burn-in: the GV5 has about 25 hours on it at this point, and each of the others is at 100 or more.)

That said, here are the contenders. Having re-listened to each this evening, I want to state up front that all are fine amps, and if you are buying your first amp you could choose any one of these and enjoy really outstanding sound. The differences I'm listening for are incremental and will likely be difficult, perhaps impossible, for brand-new listeners to discern.

1. Pimeta w/8620 running on single 9V, built by JMT.
This was my main amp for quite a while, and my main portable still longer. I was quite happy with it. Compared with the others, though, it was easiest to choose as the first to be voted off the island. I find it a little emphasized in the treble, giving a slightly light and splashy sound to cymbals and other hard attacks, while being a little un-weighty in the lower mids and the lows.

2. Ray Samuels Audio SR-71.
This is a terrific-sounding amp which provides the depth and emotional weight that the 8620 Pimeta lacked. I really love it. The only thing wrong with it is that it has a bit of high-frequency rolloff that, to me, robs percussion of some of the hard leading edges that I'm looking for and sacrifices some detail. With most other headphones you'd barely hear that rolloff (if you could detect it at all), but with the ER-4S you can. Now, to some people that adjustment to the ER-4S's highs counts as a real benefit, and I have full respect for that point of view. But me, I like hearing those really sharp corners that the ER-4S is capable of delivering. SR-71, wonderful as it is, is the second amp set aside tonight.

3. Pimeta w/627 running on 18V, built by JMT
My desktop amp at work until I bought my HeadFive. I like its tone very much: the treble's neither excessive nor rolled off, and the mids and lows have weight and texture. IMO this is a very nice-sounding amp. But compared to the Gilmore it's missing some transparency. Simple arrangements don't have the 'live,' 'you-are-there' feeling that a better amp gives them, and busy, complex passages are congested-sounding with this amp, whereas the Gilmore makes the layers easy to peel apart.

(I should add that this amp is equipped to run from 18V (dual 9Vs) or from a 24V Elpac. Since I'm auditioning for portable use I mainly listened with 18V, but I also gave it a chance with the 24V. 24V had an effect but nothing that would make a difference to my choices.)

4. Go-Vibe V5
This is no Gilmore Lite, but I do prefer it to the Pimeta 627. It is more transparent than the latter, though it is still capable of being congested-sounding in tricky passages. It is more forward-sounding than the 627, which I won't characterize as good or bad, just different.

The GV5 exhibits both fantastic detail and terrific bass power. "Since the Last Time" from Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth album includes a crowd/chorus attending a funeral, and there's a lot of 'business' going on on the periphery of the song - a little chuckle here, a bit of modulation there, that kind of thing. Listening with the GV5 gave me some of those "I never noticed that before" moments which you won't get on material like this with an amp that's at all murky-sounding. And my bassiest tracks (things like "Blanche Neige" by Axelle Red) were well-rendered with all the power and texture I was looking for.

Detail and bass are rendered so prominently that lead vocals lose some of their prominence, and this is my least favorite thing about the GV5's sound. I love hearing all these other things so well, but the trade-off is that subjectively the main vocals seem a little diminished in the mix compared to what I'm used to. Still the sound overall is extremely satisfying and it's easy to get lost in it. My first evening with the GV5 turned into one of those extended I-need-to-listen-to-all-my-favorites-all-over-again-it-sounds-so-good-I-can't-stop sessions.

Note on power: for this audition I ran the GV5 from a single Duracell Coppertop. A 9.6V NiMH is supposed to be better. I also experimented with running it from 18V (dual 9V batteries) and from a 24V Elpac. The higher voltages do not change the overall character of the sound, but do give it more substance. It's not a huge thing, more subliminal. On "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove" from Dead Can Dance's Into the Labyrinth, there's a slow drum that starts at the beginning of the track and continues through the song. Ultimately it's behind many other layers, but it's still there. With the Coppertop, you can hear that it's there. With the Elpac, and to a lesser extent with 18V, you feel that it's there - it's like the slow tread of a giant in the distance. It's not strong or overblown, it's just a little more substantive and visceral. I liked the effect of the higher voltages, but ordinary 9V is so good that it didn't leave me feeling like I had to remain tethered to an Elpac to stay happy.

The GV5 is not the "portable Gilmore Lite" that I want to have one day, but it's my current favorite of the portable amps I do have, at least with my Etys. I think it's a remarkably great-sounding amp at a prepostrously reasonable price.

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 15
episiarch, I agree with all you said of the Go-Vive v5, and especially this passage

Quote:

Detail and bass are rendered so prominently that lead vocals lose some of their prominence, and this is my least favorite thing about the GV5's sound. I love hearing all these other things so well, but the trade-off is that subjectively the main vocals seem a little diminished in the mix compared to what I'm used to.

(my own reference point for portable amps being a -upgraded- Portaphile X^3)

However, unlike you, I find that there was a (relatively 'course, but decisive, for me) BIG difference of sound quality between a 12V and a 24V power supply. I don't know for sure if burn in played a big part in my finding, but I don't think.

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 15
And I will add that somehow vocals lose some 'roundness' for the sake of detail with the Go-Vibe v5. They're full bodied and textured - yet - somehow dry. I ascribe this to the LM6172's own sound signature.

this doesn't diminish the Go-Vibe's value too much for me, yet it makes me want to have the other amps (including my Pioneer integrated) as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back