Gould - Goldberg 82 (State of wonder mastering)
Jun 29, 2007 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lionel marechal

500+ Head-Fier
Alerted by Lechuck post in that thread I got the box and indeed that remaster IS better.

For the story, Gould never recorded twice a piece .... except the Goldberg Variations for which he did 2 official studio release : the 55 and the 82. Both are largelly different, althought they are still both Gould.

In 82, with the arrival of the digital, he wanted to record it again to benefit from the new technology (plus his 55 recording is mono).

I like good sound, but I am not extreme (I listened to mp3 224 vbr, and all my itunes library is in that format, not in lossless).

This to say that this remaster, using the ANALOG tapes recorded that day and not the digital recording is significantly better. The sound is less dry, more 'round' (still VERY on the sharp/precise side of piano recording, not lik reperformance discussed in the related thread).
It is as well more detailed, if you do not like the humming/singing, you might hear it more.

Enjoy the sound , the recording, the artist, the piece ... the MUSIC.

I join a scan of the remastering notes from the booklet.
Lionel

GouldAnalog.jpg

51peWUz2VYL._SS500_.jpg

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Indeed this is a great one, and the humming/singing is part of the experience
smily_headphones1.gif
He can't help himself, he loves it so much.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 12
The humming used to drive me crazy. Upon repeated listening I came to the realization that the music is magical. Goldberg variations by one of the greatest interpretors of Bach.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 12
Well first and foremost......its not Glenn Gould

Kinda sounds like somebody trying to copy him, interesting attempt.

This 81 recording is magnificent. The more I listen the more I like it. I used to think it was kind of a swan song by a guy that just could do it anymore.....by was I wrong.

The other thing is that it doesn't even sound like his piano, I mean its a Yamaha. And Glenn was constantly fooling and tweaking his, and putting tack on the soundboard. Like any musician, his instrument became him.

Save your money and try to borrow a copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back