Gotta new amp coming...Deckware Zen Head ZH-1 - Talk about service!
Sep 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RIDE

100+ Head-Fier
Well I have been looking for another amp to add to the mix...and have been agonizing over what to go with next.

The popular choice is the iQube...costly, but stellar reviews. I may give one a try down the road...but I thought I'd check out some other options first. There's a new RSA SR-71a in the works...and of course there are the Move and Pico that get tons of praise. Great amps in small packages.

The Graham Slee Voyager may not be the prettiest girl at the bar...but many sing her praises. Sure she's ugly...but from what people are saying...she's a real performer
wink.gif
I may pick one up second hand to see what the hype is all about.

Enter the Deckware Zen Head. Yes it's a larger amp than most of the latest offerings, but it is made by a guy who knows audio and has been doing it for a long time. But size is not an issue for me...with an iMod running through a Portable V-Cap...I am used to lugging around a bigger kit.

So I placed my order last night...with a note attached to my order as to what my set up is. Much to my surprise, my phone rings this afternoon and it's none other than Steve calling to go over my order! Now THAT is service!

Steve spent a good 20 minutes talking to me...not only going through his thought process of the design of this amp, but he also inquired about what I preferred in an attempt to set the amp up to my needs (crossfeed and such). Yes, the amp is pretty adjustable...but Steve took the time to call and make sure it was dialed in right out of the box.

I should have the amp in a week or so...and will put together a nice little write up when I get some hours on it. I expect that it won't sound at all like my current Diablo...or the latest hot set ups such as the iQube...but that is exactly what I am hoping for. Not that I don't enjoy those others...just that I am intrigued to see how Steve's approach will translate into sound.

Whether you agree with his build and audio philosphy on this one or not...Steve Deckert has designed this amp with a purpose, and has done it his way. Plus at a intro price of $100 off....$295 vs $395...I felt that it was surely worth the expense.

Thanks again Steve for your time...I certainly enjoyed it. I look forward to receiving my new amp!

Cheers,

RIDE

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I love these smaller companies, and do what I can to support them. Decware is pretty quick about replying to email, as well. The two really nice ladies who answer the phone are very nice and efficient.

I should be getting my ZH-1 today, and I got it precisely because it is unlike my iQube.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 4
Right on trickywombat! I can't wait to hear your opinions on it. Do keep me posted!
smily_headphones1.gif

RIDE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back