Got Wood? HP-FX500 Wood Cone and Housing In-Ear Headphones
Dec 26, 2007 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
Dec 26, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 13
They look very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 13
They present some interesting issues though. Hopefully the wood is really coated well to protect from skin oils, sweat, moisture etc. And they won't give super great isolation with their Denon-like port in the back of the housing. Possible wind noise issues?

First metal unit and housing. Now wood unit and housing. What's next?

A little wood cone info via google translator such as it is.
Translated version of http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/audio_w/woodcone/index.html

Dec 26, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 13
Personally, I'm glad companies are starting to focus more on dynamic drivers for IEMs than armatures. At the present time armatures may be able to produce micro detail that dynamic drivers of that size are not able to, however I don't think this will be the case for long. Armatures have a few issues: 1) they need multiple units to produce full-sounding audio across the entire spectrum, 2) multiple crossover points with very basic crossover circuitry, and (3) non-natural sounding tonality, imaging, and impact. Dynamic drivers don't suffer from this issue if their size is appropriately proportioned to the volume of air between driver and eardrum. Nanotechnology will eventually move into the audio realm and then a company will be able to produce a micro dynamic driver that has all the sonic attributes and speed of larger dynamic drivers. When this happens, armatures will probably become obsolete. Dynamic driver IEMs are easier to assemble, cheaper to manufacture, and if all the criteria are met will yield a much more natural sound.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) they need multiple units to produce full-sounding audio across the entire spectrum

Though the trend has been toward multiple drivers, Etymotic and Shure have produced single-driver multiple armatures that produce sound across the entire spectrum. It's true the trend has been to have dedicated drivers for respective frequency ranges, but that does not mean a single driver alone cannot do the job.

Quote:

2) multiple crossover points with very basic crossover circuitry

Indeed this is true, but I'm not sure I see what the problem with it is.

Quote:

(3) non-natural sounding tonality, imaging, and impact. Dynamic drivers don't suffer from this issue if their size is appropriately proportioned to the volume of air between driver and eardrum. Nanotechnology will eventually move into the audio realm and then a company will be able to produce a micro dynamic driver that has all the sonic attributes and speed of larger dynamic drivers.

Nanotechnology or not, there are certain limitations to the physics of audio which we'll have difficulty overcoming. A dynamic driver sized for an IEM will simply have less air to move and be unable to produce the same level of impact, soundstaging, and realism a headphone (or for that matter, a speaker) can produce. Couple this with the closed architecture of most IEMs which both isolates noise as well as prevents substantial airflow into and out of the ear and we arrive at limits which technology will have some difficulty surmounting.

Simply shrinking down a full-scale dynamic driver which expects airflow and an open design will not work under the conditions an IEM works. It will take some severe tweaking at the very least and possibly some additional technology to allow an IEM dynamic element to operate at the same level as a full-size headphone.

Quote:

When this happens, armatures will probably become obsolete. Dynamic driver IEMs are easier to assemble, cheaper to manufacture, and if all the criteria are met will yield a much more natural sound.

I'm skeptical about this, but sure, if it genuinely works, by all means, I'll be a believer.

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 13
Hmm, can anyone see a price? Wood IEM's... yum!

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsuttitinagul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Simply shrinking down a full-scale dynamic driver which expects airflow and an open design will not work under the conditions an IEM works. It will take some severe tweaking at the very least and possibly some additional technology to allow an IEM dynamic element to operate at the same level as a full-size headphone.

Uh, ever heard of Future Sonics. Their dynamic drivers work fine under IEM conditions.

Anyway, these are canalphones and not IEMs.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, can anyone see a price? Wood IEM's... yum!

Engadget says around $131. Obviously that's converted though, but I would expect it to be in that price range if they came here.

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, ever heard of Future Sonics. Their dynamic drivers work fine under IEM conditions.

Anyway, these are canalphones and not IEMs.

Or the Denon AH-C700. I've heard the AH-C700 and even though it's a dynamic driver IEM they have excellent sound, and to beat it requires a MUCH more expensive IEM (at least at the UE triple.fi 10 Pro or Shure SE530 level).

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or the Denon AH-C700. I've heard the AH-C700 and even though it's a dynamic driver IEM they have excellent sound, and to beat it requires a MUCH more expensive IEM (at least at the UE triple.fi 10 Pro or Shure SE530 level).

Yes, they work, but do they sound truly like full-size headphones, as IPodPJ claims?

Quote:

Nanotechnology will eventually move into the audio realm and then a company will be able to produce a micro dynamic driver that has all the sonic attributes and speed of larger dynamic drivers.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Well i was shooting for the DX1000 but with these coming out I'll hold until the FX700/900 especially if they use wood. Mmmm wood IEMS I like the sound of that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back