Got Ultrasone Pro 900's for Christmas, had general audiophile questions and looking for amp suggestions, Have Cowon Q5W and FLAC
Dec 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

subtle.desensitizer

New Head-Fier
Currently own: Ultrasone Pro 900's, Cowon Q5W with 0 battery life
So when I first opened them I immediately dusted off my Cowon Q5W (I'd been without good cans for eternities) and listened to Tool then Imogen Heap on FLAC. In  Headlock, I distinctly heard the incredible soundstage as the harp in the song played from left to right can. Now, when going back and listening I feel as if that effect is not as strong/noticable/intense/etc. Could I have damaged my phones, or could burn-in have changed them? Or is it most likely my ears are more adjusted to this incredible quality of music and so the effect is less noticable?

These headphones are supposed to have strong bass, but I feel like (and I am fully comfortable with the idea I am completely wrong) that the highs and mids are more noticable, and the bass in the background is more of a murmur in comparison. Is this settings on my source gear, the quality of my source gear, quality of the songs mastering? That would be one options. Or is the volume and apparentness not directed to the "quality", and I need to mess with an equalizer to bring it up?

I am looking for a headphone amp. I can hear a difference between Spotify/FLAC on my desktop, Spotify on my iPhone, and FLAC on my Cowon Q5W (which is clearly superior).
What AMP would you suggest around ~$100 or less for my Ultrasone Pro 900's? Does anyone who has experience with Cowons have any idea how much of an improvement (if any) I would see?

I think one of the reasons they do not sound as good as they did initially was because I took the pads off and on (this could be completely inaccurate). Can anyone give me insight as to how I should properly seat the foam?

Thanks so much in advance from a true audiophile in training (I was one before but I didn't have the gear to really appreciate it)
~ Karl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back