Got two different 6AK5 tubes, company-wise; bad idea?
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
So the story goes is that I was cheap and bought a pair of 6AK5 tubes off of eBay for ~$7 (Head-Fi member koven did the same thing). They came today, even though I have nothing to plug them into yet.

One came in a Tung-Sol box, and the other in a CBS. Until now I've always made sure I've had matching tubes, company-wise. And from what I've read and experienced, brand names do matter, but probably less than the actual tube model.

So, what say you guys? Will there be enough of a sonic difference between the two models? Did I just learn a $7 lesson on why I shouldn't go cheap?

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 3
Does the construction (plate type and color, getter type, etc.) look identical? If the tubes' internals look identical, you are probably fine. If they're constructed differently, IME they will sound different enough to warrant getting ones that are the same brand and even era.

But let your ears decide.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Ideally they should be from the same company and batch. Furtermore they should be tested to see how close they are. But if you have no alternatives you can either sell them or try them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back