Got to listen to some gold wire today.
May 21, 2005 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
SO,

I dont know if anyone remember but a while ago I asked how jewelers wire sounded and if it was any good for interconnects. So i decided to take the gamble and pick some up. this would be fun to try.

The wire exihibited no sibilance, it was laid back and had very very very very very nice mid-bass response. Its not as smooth sounding as copper, at least according to my memory.

but to my astonishment, gold alloy actually sounds very nice, but not as smooth sounding, i.e. kind of like "hashy"(i hope that makes sense) sounding characteristics on the upper end of the frequency range. but the bass and mid response was just superior to a lot of wire Ive listened to. I have to listen to it a bit more, but the Hashy part can be fatiguing to my ears.

I know there are a lot of DIYers here, I would recommend you guys trying building something with gold filled wire, Id like to hear your impressions on what you thought about its sound.

May 21, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 6
i was tired to listening to the portable so I switched over to the tube and you know what? the gold wire sounds very close to the tube sound imo, I didnt realize this until, I plugged my akgs into the tube and I immediately noticed the similarities between the two sounds lol.

May 21, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Have you built yourself a switch box yet? You may be surprised at the result.
wink.gif

-Ed

May 21, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 6
no switchbox.

Yea I dont know if I would pass a DBT,

but the thing with minis is that they are easy to swap out and listen to in a few seconds unlike RCA interconnects. so I did a listen with the portable. May be psychoaucoustics but the gold sounded just too different, i dont know if its in my head, but when I would switch back and forth between the silver plated and gold wire the jump in upper end smoothness was immediately noticeable with the silver plated wire.

oh well.

my 2 cents.

May 21, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 6
What awg was the gold wire and gold alloy wire, stranded vs. solid core? What dielectric, connectors, solder..

There a few different "gold alloy" types floating around, some w/ gold/silver/copper which has VERY little gold content, and some have much higher gold content plus silver only w/o copper, etc.

May 21, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 6
just regular 14k gold filled wire (not plated) threaded into teflon tubing.

24 awg solid core. I used a couple of hacked up RA connectors that were never finished, and I chopped them off and resoldered them to to the gold wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back