Got to hear the SHURE E500 today...
Mar 26, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Card18
Just a short question for Electro (& others who have tried the E500). How was the comfort and fit of wearing them? I'm seriously considering westone's UM2 right now as those are the most comfortable universal IEMs I have ever tried (apart from the UM1 which was about the same). They stay in well, and just sort of 'get lost' in my ear and offer sound that I'm more than happy with.

However if the E500 can match the comfort levels of the UM series then maybe I'll hold out for them
wink.gif

My friend has a pair of UM2's so I have used them on occasion. I would say from my brief experience with the E500 that they are as comfortable or even more so then the UM2's. The ear pireces and everything like the PTH module were much smaller then I would have thought them to be.

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by flibottf
Great! Montreal head-fier! I was wondering if there was any...

Me too. I never really see much Quebec Head-Fiers, or for that matter, Montrealers, posting much around here, only once in a blue moon.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #19 of 41
Alright! I'll wait
very_evil_smiley.gif

To think I was only in for er6i's when I just came to head-fi looking for some info. I never would have considered UM2 had I not come here.. and now looks like I'll be dropping close to $500 for a set of IEMs that cost more than the player (ipod 5g)
eek.gif
I'm catching head-fi-itis and I'm not sure I can be cured now
mad.gif

Another concern is that some of the music I have isn't encoded at high bitrates (128-192kbps) and that are the E500s forgiving on music encoded at lower bitrates?

edit: and btw Electro, since you have used both, is there any obvious difference in sound could you hear between the UM2 and E500?

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

and now looks like I'll be dropping close to $500 for a set of IEMs that cost more than the player (ipod 5g)
eek.gif

lol..you should get this shirt

Iron_Dreamer.jpg

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
absolutely!

now there's a sign that screams, "mug me!"
icon10.gif
heck, forget the ipod, i'd take the earphones.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 41
I don't get what's the big deal with that shirt. That's like saying, my speakers cost more than your cd player. Well, duh, speakers are the most important thing. So that shirt is a little obvious, and rude to me, seems like people who wears it wants to show off. And so what if it cost more than the ipod, what's the big deal? That's like me wearing my customs and saying it cost more than any shures. "My customs cost more than your Shure IEM." Sorry to diss the shirt, but it's just plain rude if you ask me.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
I don't get what's the big deal with that shirt. That's like saying, my speakers cost more than your cd player. Well, duh, speakers are the most important thing. So that shirt is a little obvious, and rude to me, seems like people who wears it wants to show off. And so what if it cost more than the ipod, what's the big deal? That's like me wearing my customs and saying it cost more than any shures. "My customs cost more than your Shure IEM." Sorry to diss the shirt, but it's just plain rude if you ask me.

I wonder if Iron_Dreamer got it as a freebie as he's wearing it over another shirt. Fun for meets...but not on the street (like kugino says).

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

It's really meant as a light-hearted joke more than anything... Lighten up Andy!
biggrin.gif

I gave it to him... Sugarfried had given it to Edwood, to give to me when they met up at CES, but the shirt was a size too small for me. It did fit Iron_Dreamer so I handed it off to him. I bugged him to wear it to the meet just to be silly, so he threw it on as we ran out the door that morning (hence, the shirt under it).

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Alright! I'll wait
very_evil_smiley.gif

To think I was only in for er6i's when I just came to head-fi looking for some info. I never would have considered UM2 had I not come here.. and now looks like I'll be dropping close to $500 for a set of IEMs that cost more than the player (ipod 5g)
eek.gif
I'm catching head-fi-itis and I'm not sure I can be cured now
mad.gif

Another concern is that some of the music I have isn't encoded at high bitrates (128-192kbps) and that are the E500s forgiving on music encoded at lower bitrates?

edit: and btw Electro, since you have used both, is there any obvious difference in sound could you hear between the UM2 and E500?

Yes there was an obvious difference. The E500 sounds more balanced then the UM2 (no bass hump, similar to my UE5c's) Also, there was more detail all accross the board. I would say especially in the highs and mid-high frequencies when compared to the UM2.

All that being said I think the UM2 is syill a really good IEM with good build quality too.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

I think it's more to rub it in the faces of the non-audiophiles. It sure is gloating but if you're going to lay down 500$ US for some IEMs then I'd be gloating too
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
Yes there was an obvious difference. The E500 sounds more balanced then the UM2 (no bass hump, similar to my UE5c's) Also, there was more detail all accross the board. I would say especially in the highs and mid-high frequencies when compared to the UM2.

All that being said I think the UM2 is syill a really good IEM with good build quality too.

Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I've been convinced to wait for the E500 now.. comfort and sound seem exquisite. Price and availability for me might be different since I live in Thailand. Currently the entire shure IEM line is available here (albeit pricier) so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

edit: forgot about the other issue I was wondering about: whether they are forgiving (or too good) to play with low bitrate encoded mp3s (128-192kbps). If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate any feedback
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back