Got the Xin's New SuperMini 3: Wow!!!
Oct 28, 2005 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SK138

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got the Xin SuperMini3 amp. The moment I plugged it into my iPod to sample some music, I could not believe such a small amp was generating such large sound. I especially like the crossfeed and bass boost. It's something I am not accustom to in my SR-71 or AE-1 (sold to fellow Head-Fi member last night). The crossfeed and bass boost make it more musical and fun to listen to some old music.

I will let it burn-in more and get it ready for my long listening pleasure when I have to fly 24hours to Mania on a business trip early next week. Special thanks to Dr. Xin. He made every effort to get the amp to me before my 3 weeks business trip to Manila.

I will post more of my impressions later, after work.

Thanks Dr. Xin!

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 21
damn, I just started a new thread asking for impression on supermini, now you make me look like an idiot,
etysmile.gif

Please do give us more details!! how does it compare to your other amps?

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
I will let it burn-in more and get it ready for my long listening pleasure when I have to fly 24 hours to Mania on a business trip early next week.

You're good. It takes me a lot less than 24 hours to reach Mania on business trips!
evil_smiley.gif

Pics please x2.

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
Playing with the smallest amp is fun too,
icon10.gif

So small we need pics of it. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 21
Congrats on the Mini!

A Few Questions:

-How well does the Mini handle your HD580?

-Have you tried the Senns with the DC-DC Boost both enabled and disabled? If not will you give it a try for us?

-Do the "four features" work as well as they do on the Macro?

Oct 29, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 21
I am having problems directly posting the some (crude) pictures to this site so I uploaded to my site at: http://homepage.mac.com/se.kang/port-rig/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
So small we need pics of it. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 21
I don't have the HD580. I returned it because it sounded too bright for my taste. The SuperMini has no problem driving my Beyer DT250/80 can.

I have no plans to do DC-DC boost since I will most likely use it with my IEMs on travels and on the go.

Yes, the four "switch" works. I can't compare with Macro in terms of functions, since I never tried it...not yet:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Congrats on the Mini!

A Few Questions:

-How well does the Mini handle your HD580?

-Have you tried the Senns with the DC-DC Boost both enabled and disabled? If not will you give it a try for us?

-Do the "four features" work as well as they do on the Macro?

Oct 29, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 21
digitalcat, I will let others with more discriminating and trained ears write a more complete review of the Supermini's sound quality than myself. As my wife says many time, I have damaged hearing from too many AC/CD concerts in my youth:wink:

Put it simply, the Supermini is just too much fun especially with crossfeed and bass boost..wow!!! The stereo separation and soundstage created by Xin crossfeed is amazing and I did not know Shure E4 had so much capable bass, with bass boost turn on. The bass is very tight and punctuated without being too warm and soft.

I was looking for an on-the-go portable amp. I found it. I have Ray's hornet reserved but I will wait to hear what others have to say before I pull the trigger to purchase it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
damn, I just started a new thread asking for impression on supermini, now you make me look like an idiot,
etysmile.gif

Please do give us more details!! how does it compare to your other amps?

Oct 29, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
I don't have the HD580. I returned it because it sounded too bright for my taste.

eek.gif

Don't want to thread crap, but somebody finding an HD580 bright sounding? That one really did make my jaw drop open. What are you comparing it to that doesn't sound bright to your ears?

To me, HD580 is definitely on the dark side of neutral... very smooth, never harsh even with harshly-recorded music.

Oct 29, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 21
Actually...they are little hard by hand. They are very, very small. They are smaller than what I am use to on the PC motherboards. I would not change them on the go...that's for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Thank you for the pictures. The jumpers look very easy to change.

jumpar3vb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back