Got the Sony MDRXB950bt (Extra Bass) but find the bass is too much. Should I switch to the MDR10RBT?
Jan 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Muzeec

New Head-Fier
MDR XB950BT "Extra Bass"

MDR 10RBT

This was my first time buying headphones. I decided to go with the xb950bt because it was on sale during Boxing day at $123.00 Canadian which is a good deal.. Plus comfort is important and this ones are very comfortable even with eye glasses.
Also I have to say the bass on this are amazing. I listen to a lot of EDM and House so that is a great thing.

However the problem comes when I want to listen to other genres. The bass over powers the other aspects of the audio. I'm now thinking maybe to get headphones with a more balanced sound. I'm wondering how the 10RBT compares in terms of sound and comfort? The original retail price is $220.00 but I can get a used one for $130.00 from Amazon.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 11
Hiya

I have the Sony XB450s, also an extra bass model. If you turn up the EQ from 500Hz to 16kHz like here (http://imgur.com/a/qmSx5), the headphones create a beautiful sound. The bass is still as strong, mids and highs shine through. 

Let me know if it works for you.                

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 11
Hello

I have the Sony XBR450s. I noticed the lows on these drown the mids and highs as well. But, it's an easy fix in my case. It should be in yours as well. Simply turn your EQ up from 500Hz to 16kHz. The sound improves tremendously, easily putting the headphones into a higher price/quality bracket than what you'd expect. http://imgur.com/a/qmSx5 Pic of my EQ.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Hello

I have the Sony XBR450s. I noticed the lows on these drown the mids and highs as well. But, it's an easy fix in my case. It should be in yours as well. Simply turn your EQ up from 500Hz to 16kHz. The sound improves tremendously, easily putting the headphones into a higher price/quality bracket than what you'd expect. I would post a pic of my EQ, but this forum won't let me.

I love it when the things we do to stop spam hurts the user more.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 11
  MDR XB950BT "Extra Bass"

MDR 10RBT

This was my first time buying headphones. I decided to go with the xb950bt because it was on sale during Boxing day at $123.00 Canadian which is a good deal.. Plus comfort is important and this ones are very comfortable even with eye glasses.
Also I have to say the bass on this are amazing. I listen to a lot of EDM and House so that is a great thing.

However the problem comes when I want to listen to other genres. The bass over powers the other aspects of the audio. I'm now thinking maybe to get headphones with a more balanced sound. I'm wondering how the 10RBT compares in terms of sound and comfort? The original retail price is $220.00 but I can get a used one for $130.00 from Amazon.

I have not heard the 10RBT but I do like the idea of you getting a second pair of earphones with a different signature than your 950BT. If you could give us a budget, we could generate some options for you (if you like).

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 11
  I have not heard the 10RBT but I do like the idea of you getting a second pair of earphones with a different signature than your 950BT. If you could give us a budget, we could generate some options for you (if you like).

Well I prefer to just exchange my current ones for headphones which are more "versatile" where I can listen to different genres as well as watching movies and listening to audiobooks. I know I won't get a deal like the one I had because I got it on boxing day. I don't mind paying up to $200 CDN or buying a used one from amazon unless there are reasons not to.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 11
  Hello

I have the Sony XBR450s. I noticed the lows on these drown the mids and highs as well. But, it's an easy fix in my case. It should be in yours as well. Simply turn your EQ up from 500Hz to 16kHz. The sound improves tremendously, easily putting the headphones into a higher price/quality bracket than what you'd expect. I would post a pic of my EQ, but this forum won't let me.

I love it when the things we do to stop spam hurts the user more.

Thanks for letting me know. But to be honest I am quite lazy and this are my first pair of headphones, I just don't want to fiddle with the different aspects all the time. Just something easy to use.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 11

Thanks for letting me know. But to be honest I am quite lazy and this are my first pair of headphones, I just don't want to fiddle with the different aspects all the time. Just something easy to use.

You should check out the Shure SE215, the VSONIC GR07 (standard or Bass Edition (BE)), the RHA MA750, and especially, the 1More Triple Driver. These are all quality IEMs that would serve you well.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Ah--misunderstood you. At your pricepoint and given what you are looking for I would check out the AKG K553 Pro, the NAD HP50 (might have to stretch or buy used), the Soundmagic HP150, and possibly the Beyer Custom One Pro, which sort of allows you to control the bass level. There is also the Kingston Hyper X Cloud, which is very good for the money. Some thoughts.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 11
  Ah--misunderstood you. At your pricepoint and given what you are looking for I would check out the AKG K553 Pro, the NAD HP50 (might have to stretch or buy used), the Soundmagic HP150, and possibly the Beyer Custom One Pro, which sort of allows you to control the bass level. There is also the Kingston Hyper X Cloud, which is very good for the money. Some thoughts.

Sorry my bad. I should have been more clear. I'm seeking bluetooth headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back