got the meier prehead
Aug 7, 2004 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

tiberian

1000+ Head-Fier
wow, just wow. significant improvement over the xp-7 and benchmark dac amp out.
firstly its even more detailed than the benchmark amp, but it doesn't have the harshness, everything's quite smooth, well, not as smooth as the xp-7, but prehead doesn't take away details in order to make things sound smooth. i can clearly notice the subtle details now.
secondly, it has an awesome dynamic, now i can actually feel the drums, and notes are more apparent than before. the bass is tighter and vocals are fuller. the highs are great too!
thirdly, instrument seperation is great, guitars can actually come alive and no longer get overwhelmed by the drums and keyboards. frequency extension is also noticeably better.
kudos to dr meier for making such an excellent product and todd for his fantastic customer service!

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 44
If you ever decide to sell the prehead, I get first dips.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 44
Congratulations on your new rig!
biggrin.gif

Can you do a detailed comparison between the Benchmark headphone out and the prehead?

I always felt hte headphone out on the Benchmark is a bit harsh.

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 44
let me clean up my apartment first, i got a bunch of stuff lying around and i guess my benchmark dac is buried within a pile of t shirts and cds, using apogee dac now.

i think cosmopragma has both of them and he may be able to give you a short comprasion.

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 44
congrats! The prehead is the best headphone amp I've heard so far. In a direct A/B testing with the RKVII, I preferred the prehead due its naturalness and easiness how it drives all sorts of headphones.
Plus, you've got crossfeed and the preamp feature. If I had that money I wouldn't even think about which amp to get.

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Can you do a detailed comparison between the Benchmark headphone out and the prehead?

I always felt the headphone out on the Benchmark is a bit harsh.

I just picked up a DAC1 last night, and find it painfully bright with the Ety 4p.

Right now I'm switching between the headphone out on the DAC1 and my HA-2, and the HA-2 still sounds a little bright, but not terribly so.

Aug 7, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 44
The presentation on DAC1's amp is empahsised on the treble and upper mids.
Out of the Talisman, the bass is just heavenly. The treble and mids are delivered with punch and i love it with the MS Pros.
if you prefer a laid back style of presentation, then an amp such as the Ray Samuels's line would be recommended based on views expressed regarding the smoothing factor added to the sound.
I personally love the sound out of even the DAC1 amp. It is energetic to say the least, get's my heart rate up and pumping .

Aug 7, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 44
ok this is my brief observation.

as kunwar said the presentation on DAC1's amp is focused on the treble and upper mids. cymbals are splashy and loud, and there is not enough bass. things aint that full bodied, smooth, punchy and detailed as well. instrument speration isn't good either.

lets just say the prehead is a level over the benchmark dac amp.

Aug 7, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 44
That's good to know Tiberian. And thanks for all the work!

Have you heard the HR-2? How would you compare the Prehead to the HR-2? Not many people have heard both.

I briefly owned an HR-2. At the time I still had my Grace 901. But I never heard of the Prehead.

Aug 7, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 44
never heard the HR2 sorry. i remember there are a bunch of posts in the meet impression forum about prehead vs amps like headroom max, gilmore v2se and the hr2. you may find them useful.

Aug 7, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 44
tell me more good things about the prehead, i am thinking of getting one too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back