Got the M-Audio 192... now what?
Mar 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 30
that's what i don't understand.
i seem to be doing everything properly.

the two output soruces (2red right and 2white left) i can see. it makes sense. i plugged in the Y connector into them properly, red in red, yellow in white, and in the 1/4 female i put in my headphones via the 1/4 jack that clips onto the 1/8 standard socket. that didnt work. i was only getting sound on left head phone. i bought another y connector, nexxtech this time. this one didnt even ahve colours, and i couldnt find L R on them. anyways i repluged in all combos, still. sound only on right.

the rca to ts wires did work. i was getting sound on both speakers. but it sound like anus. i could see the wires were low grade, something out of a dollar store, which was a surprise that a huge music chain store would sell them. via onboard sounded better. but when i tried to conect speakers via the Y connector, same thing. sound only came out of left. if i would disconnect either the left or the right i would lose left right sound on the left speaker.

i am thinking i will go to the store where this sound card is sold, as for some unbalanced cables. if they have it i wil give it a shot. if they wont, i guess i will ask you guys, if its not a big deal. don't mean to inconvenience anyone, but i will be "greatful"

i am thinking, also, should i uninstall my drivers? and reinstall again. i didnt do it as the manual suggested. that is, install driver then install the hardware. i have never done it like that. the source is locked, andoutput on windows is selected as the 1/2

also i found these on ebay. look pretty high quality and i think they would be perfect for the speakers.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/HOSA-CPR-405-Unba...3A1|240%3A1318

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 30
Those eBay cables are for UNBALANCED 1/4" to unbalanced RCA and I wouldn't use them. You need a pair of BALANCED (tip-ring-sleeve) 1/4" to unbalanced RCA with the tip connected to the positive, the sleeve to the ground, and the ring NOT connected. This will give you the right signals to connect your speakers.

Why don't you just buy speakers that match the sound card or use your on-board audio connection and stop worrying about it? Those speakers are not designed for high fidelity. You really need a balanced to unbalanced converter anyway to take advantage of the card's quality and the converter will cost more than the speakers.

I'm sorry if that seems negative but you need honest advice.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 30
i friggin knew i should not have saved that extra few bucks, but i had no idea speakers would be incompatible with the sound card, especially since they both m-audio.

what if i were to et av40s. could i stop worring about this or is still not compatible?
perhaps you could recomend good speakers in 200 range. av40s cost 177 here, canadian, its pretty good if u ask me.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #19 of 30
The av40's do have 1/4" balanced inputs so they would be directly compatible. If it were me though, just for fun, I'd call or email m-audio and ask how they would connect the Audiophile 192 to the av20's. My guess is they will suggest something like the ebay cables you linked to. Although not as ideal as either transformers or electronic conversion as joe_cool pointed out, it will still work fine for your application as they will automatically connect the ring on the balanced side to ground on the unbalanced side just by plugging them in.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 30
I have a cheap pair of $20 Labtec speakers that work just fine with mine and they have a single 1/8" stereo plug on the back of them. I'm not sure why yours won't work, maybe you got a bad card?

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 30
i went ahead and bought AV40s.
i am pleased to see ther are TRS plugs on the back, so i was thinking i wont get no rca to ts wires. just trs.
however, do they still need to be unbalanced, or is there a little less restriction with these. person at the store gave me a good site for cables and such so i thought i would share it, also: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
as a final step, could you recomend a decent type and brand of cables.

thanks for all your help guys.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by incubated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i went ahead and bought AV40s.
i am pleased to see ther are TRS plugs on the back, so i was thinking i wont get no rca to ts wires. just trs.
however, do they still need to be unbalanced, or is there a little less restriction with these. person at the store gave me a good site for cables and such so i thought i would share it, also: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
as a final step, could you recomend a decent type and brand of cables.

thanks for all your help guys.

The av40's have balanced inputs, so no, you don't want to unbalance them.
The TRS cables at the bottom of this page should work fine...

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 30
I would think you still need TS cables instead of TRS. Since You would be getting left and right out of the card but once it gets to the cables, it will send it all to the left or right (whichever one the tip is on a stereo plug).

I would assume the speakers need TS plugs even though they say TRS right on the back of them. Since you can't stay balanced by going from mono to stereo on the same cable.

Maybe some cables will come in the box. I don't know. Hope it works out this time.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #26 of 30
The manual shows separate left/right TRS jacks to provide balanced outputs from the AP 192.

tip = signal (+)
ring = signal (-)
sleeve = shield

This is not the same as a TRS connection wired for stereo which is:

tip = left channel (+)
ring = right channel (+)
sleeve = shield (ground) (-)

The av40's have balanced inputs on the TRS jacks.
TRS cables are what's required to make this connection.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #27 of 30
i only need a single connection, not left right? the cable son this page are 1/4 male to male, but no left right split? or would i need the Y adapters? or even simpler, do i just need two of those?
were you talking about these? For only $3.25 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Premier Series 1/4inch (TRS or Stereo Phono) Male to Male 16AWG Cable - Gold Plated - 3ft | 1/4 inch Male to 1/4 inch Male
i realize i must sound pretty dumb its just that this is quite new to me, and there are a lot of diverging opinions, so i get confused.

from what i understood, no need to unbalance the trs cables. or ts unbalanced ones.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by incubated /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i only need a single connection, not left right? the cable son this page are 1/4 male to male, but no left right split? or would i need the Y adapters? or even simpler, do i just need two of those?
were you talking about these? For only $3.25 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Premier Series 1/4inch (TRS or Stereo Phono) Male to Male 16AWG Cable - Gold Plated - 3ft | 1/4 inch Male to 1/4 inch Male
i realize i must sound pretty dumb its just that this is quite new to me, and there are a lot of diverging opinions, so i get confused.

from what i understood, no need to unbalance the trs cables. or ts unbalanced ones.

You will need two of the cables you linked to, one for right, one for left. Get whatever length that works for your setup. This will give you a balanced connection from the AP 192 to the av40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back