Got the Iriver X20 - first Impressions...
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

doomlordis

Banned
Good, i didnt like the scroll wheel at first but it gets easier after about 30 minutes. This is a great offering from Iriver, the price is £20 cheaper than a 8gb Nano and you get the following extras :

Removable battery
Expandable memory
Radio
Good movie plaback (30fps)
Line in
Voice recorder
In built speakers (go loud and sound ok)

I think if people were being offered both at retail it would be hard to refuse the X20.

Box Contents

Player, earphones, disc and quick start guide.

Sound Quality

It goes loud, it sounds very good , coming from an iaudio x5 the first thing i noticed was the bass being less in your face, having listened for a while now the bass if there and it is accurate , it doesnt invade the mids the way my X5does. (I like bass).
It sounds a lot like my clix.
Overall music playback is above average but not class leading.
The video playback is excellent , i watched band of brothers this morning and it looks crisp and text is clean and easy to read A+.
Radio reception is good (not as good as clix though (from memory))
The speakers are a really great bonus, if you leave the player back down on a desk (covering the speakers) it adds some bass. TIP - Plugging earphones into the line in also acts as an ariel so you can listen to radio through the speakers!

Build Quality

This baby is light, i was shocked by how light it is.
Like i said the scroll wheel is small and seems tricky at first but after a short while it becomes much easier.
The screen is an LCD , i have a clix and i much prefer the X20s screen , why?
You can read it with the backlight off, big + and it wont start to dim within 2 years.
The player is plastic , the sides feel like metal but i dont think they are.
It is a solid player though , i think i would survive some falls.
The battery is removed in the same way as a mobile phone.
It also doesnt look like it will be a scratch magnet , it comes with a decent screen protector attached.

UI

I switched it from MSC to MTP when i got it as i like Media player 11 , i have tested MSC and it shows the X20 up as 2 drives (internal and external memory).
MSC is much faster to transfer but the player did not pick up all tag info with this method, some albums were in the wrong track order as will.
MTP works perfectly.
The scroll wheel scrolls (funnily enough) between photos, videos, music , now playing , recording , radio , browse device (cant delete from here) and settings. Pressing play or right will select the highlighted option, video and photos take you into a folder, music brings up a menu with play all, playlists, artist, songs, albums, genres, saved recordings , a further press of play or right takes you into the next tier - you get it.

Playlisting seems to be external only! I cant find a add song type function, i may be wrong- i dont have the manual handy at the moment.
Hopefully a firmware upgrade could sort this.

Battery

I did a test last night , battery has been charged 3 times , i put it on repeat , 192kbps MP3 ,25 volume - got 19.5 hours- pretty damn good.

Overall a great player, much better spec than any other in the price range.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 21
Wow, congratulations on the X20. I believe you're the first head-fier to own this. I was quite impressed with this unit when I read about it at CES last January. I think this is a nicer buy than the Clix2. Removable battery and MicroSD support expanding from its 8gb internal flash. I hope iRiver will release a firmware that'll make the X20 support SDHC the way Cowon did with the D2. Nice buy. Continue to give us more impressions when you can.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, congratulations on the X20. I believe you're the first head-fier to own this. I was quite impressed with this unit when I read about it at CES last January. I think this is a nicer buy than the Clix2. Removable battery and MicroSD support expanding from its 8gb internal flash. I hope iRiver will release a firmware that'll make the X20 support SDHC the way Cowon did with the D2. Nice buy. Continue to give us more impressions when you can.

He's the second, at the least.

Someone else said it felt so flimsy that they returned it right away.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's the second, at the least.

Someone else said it felt so flimsy that they returned it right away.

Same guy . Glad to see you changed your opinion and wait for a more objective point of view. Looks like a good player. I'd like to see a headsup against the Cowon D2. They seem very similar players.

Apr 2, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 21
Looks sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i personally think it looks kind of cheap. too much plastic.

is it a scratch magnet, or fingerprint, or maybe neither?

The player is actually very well built! The quality is not bad at all! I paid $219 for the 8 gb version! Ordered from warehouse123 and my package came with free FM Transmitter and screen protector. I think it worth the money! However, it's easy to leave fingerprint on the color screen! Hate it a lot! Other than that, I have nothing to complain!

Need advice on the MicroSD card? Should I buy KINGSTON or SanDisk? Any suggestion?

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks neat and the sound sig is more balanced then the x5?
how is the scroll wheel for controlling it in your pocket (skip song, fast forward, volume...)?

Check out the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUmLRfrLKs

The scroll wheel is using for menu navigation and volume control. I personally prefer the D-Click System on the Clix.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need advice on the MicroSD card? Should I buy KINGSTON or SanDisk? Any suggestion?

both are very good companies, but I'd take Kingston over Sandisk because I've yet to hear of any negative experience with Kingston.

Personally, i'd choose whichever is cheaper.

Apr 5, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both are very good companies, but I'd take Kingston over Sandisk because I've yet to hear of any negative experience with Kingston.

Personally, i'd choose whichever is cheaper.

Thank a lot!
plainface.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 21
Does the X20 support any lossless audio codec like Flac or WAV?

If it does...I will purchase it.

Also what about carrying cases for this player?

Also whats the best place online to buy this player?

Thank You.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall music playback is above average but not class leading.

And which would be "class leading"?
icon10.gif

Haven't been here for a while, now needing a new mp3 player to replace my IFP-390...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back