Got the hd650s, hd650 vs d5000 impression.
Feb 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
I had a hard time getting a straight answer as to how I would like the hd650s after having the d5000s.
A lot of people made it sound like I wouldn't like it/be bored (no bass etc). 

This can't be farther from the truth.  I absolutely loved the d5000s
It could be just that they are the new toy, but I think I actually prefer these.

They seem to have a noticeable improvement in resolution through the whole frequency.
The bass is a different bass and I am a bass lover.  But it is NOT lacking.  It extends deep and is very controlled.
They do fine with dubstep and any electronic music with heavy bass.
I know what people mean about the d5000 being a bit punchy, but i disagree that it's bass is overpowered.
These things are fun to listen to and while I will do more comparison, I think im gonna end up using these as my main headphones.

Obviously the downsides are absolute requirement for amp and no isolation but they are perfect for home.

Running off an audio-gd compass with moon hdam (I prefer the moon with both headphones).   Maybe the people that think the hd650 is boring didn't have a good source/amp?

I did get a chance to compare hd600 vs hd650 side by side and the hd650 were the clear winner there too.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Do the D5000 have more bass impact along with treble presence over the HD650?

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I had a hard time getting a straight answer as to how I would like the hd650s after having the d5000s.
A lot of people made it sound like I wouldn't like it/be bored (no bass etc). 

This can't be farther from the truth.  I absolutely loved the d5000s
It could be just that they are the new toy, but I think I actually prefer these.

They seem to have a noticeable improvement in resolution through the whole frequency.
The bass is a different bass and I am a bass lover.  But it is NOT lacking.  It extends deep and is very controlled.
They do fine with dubstep and any electronic music with heavy bass.
I know what people mean about the d5000 being a bit punchy, but i disagree that it's bass is overpowered.
These things are fun to listen to and while I will do more comparison, I think im gonna end up using these as my main headphones.

Obviously the downsides are absolute requirement for amp and no isolation but they are perfect for home.

Running off an audio-gd compass with moon hdam (I prefer the moon with both headphones).   Maybe the people that think the hd650 is boring didn't have a good source/amp?

I did get a chance to compare hd600 vs hd650 side by side and the hd650 were the clear winner there too.

I believe a lot of people are led astray when questions about the HD650 arise and the naysayers weigh in with the same regurgitated tripe. I never would have discovered my preference for the HD650 sound if I'd listened to claims of a veiled, slow and boring headphone.

I ran the HD650 off the Audio-GD Fun for a long time and also found the Moon hdam to be a good match.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Glad Im not the only one.

Yes, id say the d5000 has a bit more impact on the bass end but that does not mean the hd650s are bass-light.  It could even just be the fact that the d5000s are "closed" and the driver is a bit closer to the ear that makes this effect.  But id say the hd650 has more treble presence.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I have both, I like both.  I do prefer the D5000's for bassy music....it does seam more exciting.  I typically alternate from both phones depending on my mood.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 8
I've had the D5000 and heard the HD650 at a meet. I liked the HD650 a lot, wish I had more time with it in a quieter place. I did markedly prefer the D5000 to it, however, I would consider getting an HD650 just to have one.

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Hmm...got me wanting a pair of D5000s.  I have the Denon AH-A100 stowed away.  Enjoyed the bass but the highs were a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back