Got the HD580... few questions however
May 24, 2002 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
Okay just got the Senn HD580... First impressions without break-in yet VERY VERY good this is just on my Yamaha Receiver...

Ok Now for the first question... I understand that 30-40 hours of break-in is optimal but it may be stupid question but does it matter at what volume your breaking in at... For instance would a REALLY low volume be as beneficial to a medium to loud volume ?

Okay another thought here... I have been hearing that people have been having a TON of problems with the HD580's sound cutting out on one sound with static sound etc... and it has been cleared up with new models of the 580... appartantly all of those that were sold after the discontination. What truth is there to this... Anybody have newer models of the HD580 's (like mine I suppose) ?????

May 24, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm not sure if you could actually get a straight answer about anything related to break-in, so I'm just gonna suggest (like many others) that you just listen at normal volumes, and they'll break in just fine.
wink.gif

May 24, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm not a headphone break-in expert or anything, but here's my 2 cents.

For headphones, what you're mainly trying to do is flex the membranes in the drivers. When fresh from the factory, or after long storage, they are a little stiff.

With that in mind, you probably want to ease them up versus blasting away right off the bat. Start at a below normal volume and over a few hours, ease them up to normal listening levels. If you're doing offline burn-in, you can probably raise the volume a bit higher than comfortable listening levels. Just don't push them over spec. As far as music is concerned, pick stuff you think will flex the drivers.

There's also electrical burn-in for fancy headphone cables and ICs. The goal there is to smooth out the electrical characteristics. When the cable is fresh from the factory, or has been in storage or moved around a lot, those electrical characteristics can become a bit irregular.

I have no idea how best to burn-in cables. I just do them at the same time with the headphones.

Enjoy!

May 25, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the insight on the breaking in issue

Anybody know anything about the connections becoming static on one side of the HD580's lots of talk about it before the discontination... but not now.. Any owners having problems or had problems ?

Thx

May 25, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Mr.T
Wow MR.T you did it and got the 580s. Good luck with them. That connection problem has been resolved by seenheiser. How do you like the way they sound? I dont mean to confuse you or take away from these great cans but you know that there are several different cables upgrades for the 580s that make them sound even better even though that might be hard to believe. I wish you much joy and great sound for you now have a great headphone.

May 25, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 8
I believe much the same as dlow regarding burn in...

Imagine buying a brand new car, and because you don't want to wreck the block before its even out of the dealership, you treat it timidly... 2500rpm limit... how is that going to wear in the components? its not is it...

Right, what I am about to say if very opinionated, and should be classed as my opinion only... the safety of your ears is paramount...

Some people here claim to listen to their Discmen at Zero to Two on the volume control of a 5mw amp, and claim the sound to be more than adequately loud... that is bearly moving the diaphragms... how are they going to 'flex' if their not given the current they need?

My V6, I've burnt them in so well (imo) that they sound warmer than my HD580s, the midrange is richer... and the treble more subdued... Now, I can hear this with my own ears, and both 'phones are running out of the same amp for comparison sake... So I know this isn't the equivilant of 'new-toy hype'

How? quite simply I (used to... although not so much anymore) listen at higher volume levels than most mortals dare (remembering the Discman volume) a lot louder, and I burnt in louder still... that really got the diaphragms flexing, I could feel the housings of the V6 vibrating with the bass.

And there we have it, nice warm sounding V6... a miracle I feel
wink.gif

BUT... Don't mistreat all 'phones... think about my theory at your own personal peril... Someone I know on these boards destroyed one of the drivers in their headphones doing much the same thing!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

May 25, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 8
LTucci, Yes I like them quite well so far, actually I'll probably stick with the stock cables for now... maybe down the road I might consider it...

I do however realize that a dedicated headphone amp would make them sound better; but they sound darn good now just out of my Yamaha Receiver... I have the volume knob at 9 o'clock and they seem to be quite loud.

May 25, 2002 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 8
MR.T
HI: If you can find an old supreme cheep head room will bring it up to date with a new modgler and make it up to par with the new supreme for 129.00. If you have a cd deck you go from your stereo amp tape out to the supreme and use your cd deck and have a better source for the 580s. They do sound real good with a deadacated amp. But I dont mean a portable amp. My total airhead just dont do it for the 580s they need a stronger amp. My supreme amp and mini disc 5 m/w dont do it eighter. I needed a stronger source to go with my supreme amp. But when I used the supreme amp and my cd deck from my stereo tape out wow it was all there. But for a while I just used my stereo amp jack and it sounded good. Good luck. One nice thing is you dont have to upgrade your headphones for I think the 580s are tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back