Got the HD25-1's-- I can leave head-fi a happy man!
Aug 17, 2004 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I received my HD25-1's from samedaymusic.com yesterday. Shipping only took a couple days. They are everything I wanted them to be. Good amount of bass, very clear, not boomy, closed (they leak verrry little sound, if any), durable (high impact plastic, plus a steel reinforced cable), easy to drive (no need for an amp), replaceable parts (cable, earpads, etc) that don't cost a bundle, fit great, can wear them over a hat. They have a very grado-esque sound to them, but not too shrill/sharp sounding. All the styles of music I listen to sound great on them (rock, hip hop, metal, funk, acoustic, jazz). For $149, I highly recommend them. These are the sort of headphones that I've been wanting since I came to head-fi, and I've been through alot of cans.

The only tiny problem is that the box I received was a little banged up and the plastic on the headphone jack near the plug is a little chewed up looking-- perhaps a returned pair or some sort of manufacturing defect? Samedaymusic seems pretty cool, and most of the time they can send out a new pair before the other pair is sent back. I already contacted them about an exchange, but will be contacting them again to see if they can ship me a pair and then when I receive it I can send the other pair back so I'm not "headphoneless" in the interim.

I am REALLY happy with these paired with my pcdp, iPod, and Powerbook.

Thanks to Saint.Panda for the great review on them, as that was the deciding factor in purchasing the HD25-1's over the Ety ER4P's I was looking at. I'm completely satisfied with this purchase. I may be taking a hiatus from head-fi and audio purchases for while due to the acquisition of these cans....

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 23
Good riddance! Thanks for that post, though. I can't explain why, but I've been looking at the HD25 lately and my interest in it has been growing as a portable phone to be used in a bus or train.

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 23
I am not sure if I should tell you to make sure you lock the door on your way out and be sure to throw away the key or say "yea sure you'll be back next week".
I cannot see anyone with as many posts as you leaving for long though.
Hope you enjoy the phones for a long time.

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 23
I think I will have to return to these for college. I tried them, didn't like the fit, but who knows, I may get used to it. They seem to be the better choice for closed, unamped headphones that don't weigh a ton (my HD595 hurt my neck if I'm moving around, I'd hate to see what the AT Ax00 series would do to me).

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 23
Yeah, the HD25-1s are nice, aren't they? saint.panda's excellent review also convinced me to buy them. They're great for portables...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 23
"Got the HD25-1's-- I can leave head-fi a happy man! "

silly goose...

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 23
Don't worry, he'll be back in a month ....

Btw, appar111, have you tried your other phones after prolonged listening with HD25 ? I looked at Senns' specs and made my bet by getting 25sp since I was so sure that Senn used same drivers for both models (seems like 25-1 sleek headband warrant the price differences alone). And yes at first this 25sp sounds great and very much like 580 with bassss, however, I noticed that I missed some 'airiness' heard on other Senns. Could it be that other Senns have FR entension up to bats' frequency while this one tops out at 16k/22k ? (senns specs are very confusing and not uniform) I really appreciate your comment if you can make quick comparison. Mine is a keeper anyway as it is very effective in blocking loud obnoxious gossips in the office (which I will be the topic if I wear K271 there).

Slightly off topic, I bought another 25sp off ebay with smaller plug and shorter cable later on and found out that their resistance are 300 ohm! My original new 25sp are exactly 80 ohm, and I suspect this one is the 25ba concorde edition (top side marking scratched off), or probably a very old version of 25sp. Can anybody with a hd25ba / concorde please confirm this impedance ?

Ah, got rid of that 'junior', whew !
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 23
the only thing I can tell you is that the HD25-1 and HD25-SP are not the same headphone, and from what I've read, don't sound very much alike (different imedance, different freq. response, etc.). I opted to shell out a little more for the 25-1's and I'm very glad I did.
280smile.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 23
I did see that they had those-- they look like they'd be comfier, especially since these are supraaural. And $12-ish plus $3.50 shipping doesn't seem to expensive either... do they change the sound (esp. bass response) at all since they seal on the ear a little differently than the pleather?

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I did see that they had those-- they look like they'd be comfier, especially since these are supraaural. And $12-ish doesn't seem to expensive either... do they change the sound (esp. bass response) at all since they seal on the ear a little differently than the pleather?

Well, I'm using my HD25-1s unamped with an ipod and a D777, and I really couldn't notice that much of a difference. Bass is still pretty good, just listened to some DJ Rap to confirm it, and yeah, holy crap there's bass there. Then again, unless I do a direct A/B, I have a difficult time percieving small differences anyway.

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 23
The velour pads sound identical to the pleather pads, they seem durable enough (nearly a year of usage on one set of velours) and there's still velour lefts and aren't squished flat.
Dunno if it was just the velours I got, but they were hard to get on, because the surounding rubber/plastic was hard - harder than the rubber/pastic of the preinstalled pleather pads, but it's manageable.

Aug 18, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 23
Sounds good-- looks like I may be getting some velour pads for these babies.... but I'm gonna stick with the pleather through the break-in period to see how it softens up with use...

Aug 18, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
but I'm gonna stick with the pleather through the break-in period to see how it softens up with use...

Good luck with that one! I got the velour because my ears were KILLING ME with the pleather after about 45+ min. No problem with the velour so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back