Got the Flat pad today! It sounds BAD!
Mar 31, 2005 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Runningwater

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all grado fans:

I just got my Flat PAD from Todd today. Thanks Todd!!!
Flat pad does improve the bass of RS1, but lose the mid and detail. RS1 sounds darker than beofore. Honestly, I prefer my old stock pads. With the flat ones, all I get is "boom boom boom" in the music! Maybe good for tecno lovers, buy not for me. Just post my little opinion for those people who dont like so much bass
tongue.gif

Cheers

R.

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 53
I agree with you and prefer the bowls too. I found the flats more comfortable. I wish the flats were a bit thicker to approximate the distance between ear and driver that the bowls give you.

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I agree with you and prefer the bowls too. I found the flats more comfortable. I wish the flats were a bit thicker to approximate the distance between ear and driver that the bowls give you.

Acutally, flats hurt me more than bowls.
With bowls, I am able to listen to music for over 2 hours, but with flats, my ears will complain in half an hour!
confused.gif
confused.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 53
vwaps / Sennheiser pads, maybe?

Mar 31, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 53
If he doesn't like flats, he won't like reversed bowls or vwaps. Just let the man use his bowls hehe.

Biggie.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
If he doesn't like flats, he won't like reversed bowls or vwaps. Just let the man use his bowls hehe.

Biggie.

But he may like squashed bowls. To my ears, it's a nice middle ground.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 53
I completely agree with you, but for us bass hounds, the flats are a necessity! Especially on my bass-shy SR-80's, the flats really help. Still, I can't argue with you there. You lose a gigantic amount of high-end and mid-range detail and fluidness as well as the soundstage. In fact, the soundstage becomes so ridiculously compressed it's not a soundstage at all lol. Still, the increased bass response is undeniably excellent!

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 53
Mar 31, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 53
From my experience, the modded HD414 pads (and I assume flats also) do not compress the soundstage of RS1; i.e. RS1 with bowl pads projects out-of-head sound about the same size as RS1 with modded HD414. The main difference in imaging is the "size" of the sound sources. With bowl pads, instruments sound tiny, distant, and sparse. With HD414 pads, the instruments have body and blend into each other coherently. I prefer the latter.

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
But weren't the RS-1's originally designed to use flats?

Yes they were. He just has to deprogram from the bowls and adjust to the flats sound.

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Yes they were. He just has to deprogram from the bowls and adjust to the flats sound.

So we're supposed to get used to sloppy mids and booming bass?
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 53
I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to bowls and flats. I use the flats on music that needs a little more impact on the low end and bowls when listening to something a bit more laid back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back