Got the Dre Beats...Impressions
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MVPlaya

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I finally dove in and bought a pair of the most marketed "high end" head phones. I know a lot of people are wondering if these are worth it, probably less of the enthusiasts but more casual listeners with some money to blow.

First off, I'd like to state that I bought these for $200.00 out the door. I know a lot of opinions believe that these would not be worth $350.00, and I am one of those opinions.

For the type of music I listen to, these things are great. I listen to a wide variety of music, but MAINLY hip hop and R&B. I've had Shure e2c's, e4c's, SE530, UE Super.fi 5 Pro, and currently have UM2's (which are practically new, I'm selling them for $200 shipped CONUS). I've have some marshmallows too. For headphones, I've only really had the PortaPro's. I've listened to some other head phones, never owned a high end pair.

These are great for the price I paid! The packaging of this product was premium. Apple-esque packaging. They had to, because of the premium you're paying for it. These things are beautiful. The color, design is top notch.

To the good stuff...

Honestly, IMO these things are probably worth around $250.00. I'm not sure if $350.00 would be worth to buy if you're trying to get the best bang for your buck. One of the reasons I bought these over D2000 because they were "portable", which was important to me.

The bass is not overwhelming with the two sources I've played them from. The iPod Touch 1st gen just doesn't have GREAT SQ... I've plugged them into my computer and get much fuller SQ with deeper bass. Again, nothing overwhelming when on a flat EQ.

The overall SQ is great to me. I enjoy them when I listen to them, and I will be using them more than my IEM's, and as often as I can. I like the sound of headphones better than SQs.

If there are any questions, let me know. These comes with 2 cables, one normal, and one for mobile phones so you can use it as a headset... comes with cleaning cloth...case...etc all the normal stuff.

drebeatsms3.jpg

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 30
Thanks for taking the plunge. I couldn't have done it.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 30
Yeah, I believe as long as you feel good about the money you spend and enjoy your product... it really doesn't matter.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 30
Some People might say something like you should've got an HD600 or a K701 because they are technically better phones, but in reality, you may have gotten a bargain... Because the HD600 isn't really $300 and the K701 isn't really $250. You have to put a solid amp behind them for them, which are usually at least $200, whereas those may sound good unamped and provides you the detail you are looking for. So on a dollar to dollar basis, your needs may have been served much better by just buying the Dre Beats. Bottom line is music is ultimately a personal experience, and what is one man's treasure may end up being something another man hates and vice versa. As long as you feel justified with your expenditure, just stick with it and enjoy!

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 30
do they need amp? or do they sound their best without one?

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 30
euhm.. what?

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 30
Per http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...24&newsLang=en and countless other sources that are all basically the same press release:
Quote:

By combining new advanced materials, sophisticated construction, extra large drivers, and a powerful digital amplifier, Beats™ By Dre™ deliver clear vocals, detailed highs, and super low, deep bass.

Marketing BS aside, they're cruising for a lawsuit if they don't include some kind of amp circuit
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 30
I agree with the opinions about the sound quality. I really did think, as they were 'Dr. Dre' the bass would be overwhelming. However they were very balanced and neutral. I enjoyed listening to them very much. Although I did only have about 15 minutes with them. I do however believe they are completely overpriced here in the UK. £274.95 on the UK Apple store is a COMPLETE rip off.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do they need amp? or do they sound their best without one?

I don't own a high end amp, I only have the FiiO. They run fine without the FiiO, but the FiiO adds the extra bass and some treble. Like many have noticed, these are not bass heavy as expected. So if they're lacking for you, the FiiO does great.

IMO, they do not NEED an amp...

That's coming from someone whose never had a great amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back