Got the D2000's.. upon further inspection I figured out why I don't like them..
Feb 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:
Well perhaps the d2000's do to music, what Andrea Yates did to her children. Hyperbole aside the d2000's IMO suffer from being too polite. Perhaps that's what makes them good all arounders, to my ears though it's what got them returned to headroom. IMO the d2000's can be summed up in one word...boring.

I don't think I would use the word boring.  Wrong would be my word of choice.  Everything about the Denon sound signature is just wrong.  They are in the same camp as Ultrasone.

Granted I have only owned the D7000, but if that's the best they can do I don't plan to bother with any of their other models.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #32 of 44
The Denons are pretty much everything *but* boring. Ultrasones are known to be agressive, forward, and super fun, and I think my Denons are far more fun than my Ultrasones ever were. Your Denons must have been broken or something.

+1

They aren't boring or wrong, they're just a little recessed in the highs and aren't ear-splitters like other cans. Considering how many recording artists and music professionals have damaged hearing and inadvertently exaggerate treble while mixing, I'm looking at you Geoff Tate, that can often be a good thing. :) Just bump your EQ up a notch at 4, 8, and 16k if you want it.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #34 of 44
What is your definition of highs?  The treble on the D2000 is such that it makes the mids seem mellow.  It's even more sibilant than the infamous DT990's treble at times.

No it isn't. By listening and looking at the charts you can see that the highs are recessed a bit, and I've not heard any sibilance from any of the Denon Dx000 cans, as long as the source material isn't botched, not sure where you're getting that from. :confused:

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #35 of 44
Well naturally, the better the recording, the better the D2000 plays with it.  There's no getting around its treble peak, though.  Many audiophile headphones have one to help bring out details within a song.  Comparing the Denons to more flat headphones like the HD600 or Flat Speakers like the the B&W 802 Diamond or Atlantic Technology AT1, and the Denons have an unnaturally boosted high-end. 

The D7000 might be a bit different, but the D2000 definitely has a high-end that makes its midrange seem recessed.  It's not a natural sound, and a lot of people might not like the Denons because of it.

The charts show that the D2000 has a treble spike as well.  What do you mean by looking at the charts?

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 44

Quote:
Well perhaps the d2000's do to music, what Andrea Yates did to her children. Hyperbole aside the d2000's IMO suffer from being too polite. Perhaps that's what makes them good all arounders, to my ears though it's what got them returned to headroom. IMO the d2000's can be summed up in one word...boring.

Don't you twist my hyperbole into lies and slander!

D2000 are GG. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #37 of 44
I'll add that the d2000s had no appreciable burn-in to my ears.  They did benefit from more substantial amping though.  I went from a fiio e11 to a headstage arrow and the difference was noticeable.  Maybe you'd rather have a bass heavy phone though?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #38 of 44
Saying the D2000s are boring is like saying sugar isn't sweet

Quote:

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #40 of 44
Try bass, I love you by bassotronics. By far the D2k are the closest to my (Dad's) tower speakers + sub setup. His setup isn't something very highend, but bear in mind D2k is a headphone. I'll be mightly impressed by anything that would beat the Denons in sub-bass by a significant amount, in fact I'm sure a lot of people would be extremely interested in any findings of such headphone.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #41 of 44
I'm not a fan of the D2000 even though i owned it for a month before selling it. I would say the DT150 is the better option over D2000. You could even say DT150 is the closed version of DT880. Technically DT770 is meant to be but i had that too and comparing it to DT150 it's not as good.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #42 of 44
Denon 2000's -

Their sound is a bit understated, meaning there's no particular aspect that's going to make you sit up and take notice
No zip and pizzazz like Grado's, no awesome soundstage and openness like the AKG 70x,, etc.

Well balanced sound with a very good soundstage for closed phones; nicely detailed as well.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #43 of 44
Nothing sounds like full size speakers and subwoofers for Bass I Love You.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #44 of 44

Quote:
Nothing sounds like full size speakers and subwoofers for Bass I Love You.  
biggrin.gif

obviously but it made me how superior my denons were compared to all of my other cans at Bass 
L3000.gif

Then i played the song on Dad's budget sony tower speakers w/ sub, and XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back