Got the D2000's.. upon further inspection I figured out why I don't like them..
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #16 of 44

Quote:
Recessed bass mids. The bass is really good at higher levels, but for all around, the bass isn't equal and that punch isn't there if that makes any sense.....  

Bass that's punchy and good at every level, not just when the sound absolutely demands it.

I think what he's saying is he wants something that will always deliver a solid punch and rumble, even if the recording does not call for it. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is any Bose headphone. The Bose headphones can turn water into wine, and wine to water. They work very well with low bitrate MP3s and non critical music listening. 

There is also a device in the car audio world called a "bass epicenter" which adds bass to bass-less songs but pulls the dial back automatically when not needed.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 44

Quote:

I think what he's saying is he wants something that will always deliver a solid punch and rumble, even if the recording does not call for it. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is any Bose headphone. The Bose headphones can turn water into wine, and wine to water. They work very well with low bitrate MP3s and non critical music listening. 

There is also a device in the car audio world called a "bass epicenter" which adds bass to bass-less songs but pulls the dial back automatically when not needed.

I dunno, when I heard the QC3's (which are $350), they were intensely boring headphones.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 44
To the original post, if you want bowel spilling, ear splitting bass, go with the pro 900s from Ultrasone.

Or, maybe return the e10 and go for a digiZoid zo2. 

It'll make the d2000s rumble in your hand. Truly something you've got to hear to believe.

Also, as someone who has owned all these headphones and the e10/zo2, I wouldn't exactly recommend the dt770pro80s for "better" bass. You'll get a bit more quantity of bass, especially the sub-bass, but not as much "kick" as you currently get with the d2000s. The Pro900 is the best of both worlds. But a stock Pro900 vs a zo2->d2000 would definitely fulfill audiophile bass needs. 

While I truly believe the bassiest little bastards I've ever heard were my ~30 dollar v-moda bass freqs, to really get the whole package (as well as have a visceral gaming experience with FPSs), you should look no further than the headphones mentioned in this thread. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 44

Quote:
true, the punch of bass isn't reeeeally there and it's a bit slow, but...

A bit slow translates to boring. That and the recessed mids = meh. I think the OP should consider getting a Fostex T50 and modding it. It's closed, isolates better, has killer bass, awesome mids, and overall just a better headphone.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #20 of 44
I hope OP is lying...I'm planning on getting the D2000s and I listen to electronic music (trance/house/etc.) so if there's literally no bass that I can hear then it's worthless to me.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 44

Quote:
I hope OP is lying...I'm planning on getting the D2000s and I listen to electronic music (trance/house/etc.) so if there's literally no bass that I can hear then it's worthless to me.

Hahahahaha.

To say the D2000s don't have bass is to say that Andrea Yates would make a good babysitter. 

(they have good amazing bass, OP is on crack.)

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #22 of 44
LOL those are my genres right there, D2000 is perfect for those. I think OP is mistaken or has a source problem. My suggestion is to let them burn in, get a DAC/amp like a FiiO E10, and lossless FLAC/ALAC files for music. I think its a source problem because the D2000 has GREAT amounts of sub-bass. But if you really dont like them and want bass I suggest downgrading to HFI-580

Quote:

Edit: I see OP already has an E10

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #23 of 44
I'm curious, I mainly listen to jazz, but also some hip hop and classical. 

I'm not sure about the terminology but I think this requires a stable, solid sound in both bass and trebles and mids (bass : lower instruments mids: saxes/drums highs: trumpets/etc)

Do Denons fit this profile? I'm currently on Sennheiser hd555s but I need closed headphones so I was thinking of d2000s. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #24 of 44

Quote:
I'm curious, I mainly listen to jazz, but also some hip hop and classical. 

I'm not sure about the terminology but I think this requires a stable, solid sound in both bass and trebles and mids (bass : lower instruments mids: saxes/drums highs: trumpets/etc)

Do Denons fit this profile? I'm currently on Sennheiser hd555s but I need closed headphones so I was thinking of d2000s. 

Ermm... Do you enjoy your classical music bass heavy? 

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
Honestly I don't really have a frame of reference for what is bass heavy. These 555s are the first headphones I ever bought. I don't know if they're considered bass heavy. 

I looked around for ya and the general idea is that the Denon 2ks are great all-rounder headphones. So they are generally good for everything. They are also good for classical at their price point... However there might be better...  

For hiphop they will be fantastic, and for jazz they will also be good :). They won't disappoint you 

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
To say the D2000s don't have bass is to say that Andrea Yates would make a good babysitter. 

Well perhaps the d2000's do to music, what Andrea Yates did to her children. Hyperbole aside the d2000's IMO suffer from being too polite. Perhaps that's what makes them good all arounders, to my ears though it's what got them returned to headroom. IMO the d2000's can be summed up in one word...boring.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #29 of 44
Saying the D2000s have no sub bass is complete ********.

I equalize the Bass on my Soundcard / ITunes with a "U/V" shaped equalizer.
Don't tell me there is no bass.
There are some tracks where it starts distorting due to the high amount of sub bass.

Else i do think you need some Ultrasone HFI-580
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1328791850&sr=8-5

Get a Sony XB 500 for most bass impact but mids and highs would prolly kill you.

Or spare money for an Ultrasone Pro 900.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
Well perhaps the d2000's do to music, what Andrea Yates did to her children. Hyperbole aside the d2000's IMO suffer from being too polite. Perhaps that's what makes them good all arounders, to my ears though it's what got them returned to headroom. IMO the d2000's can be summed up in one word...boring.

The Denons are pretty much everything *but* boring. Ultrasones are known to be agressive, forward, and super fun, and I think my Denons are far more fun than my Ultrasones ever were. Your Denons must have been broken or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back