Got the audio technica ath-m50x headphones, should i burn them in?
Dec 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the old ATH-M50s and I did not do a burn in but then again I listen quite a bit.  I have not noticed a substantial accuracy shift / sound change over time.

However, I'd also be curious to know what is considered an appropriate or recommended burn in time.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Iwould never advocate the immolation of your transducers, mainly due to the fact that it may void the warranty and cause massive driver damage.

Er.. If I were you, I would just listen to them normally. Burn-in will work as you listen to them.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Iwould never advocate the immolation of your transducers, mainly due to the fact that it may void the warranty and cause massive driver damage.

Er.. If I were you, I would just listen to them normally. Burn-in will work as you listen to them.

+1  I'm still on the pair of old ATH-M50s I bought back in 2010 to act as a "temporary" replacement for my AKG-K701 (sounded awesome but the bumps on the headband were slow torture!)  Second pair of pads just put on a few months ago.

Most will argue that just about all electronic components can benefit from some "burn in".  Especially when it comes to transducers, things are moving at higher volumes and for longer lengths of time than ever since the day they were born.  It may help to let them "stretch" a bit and get their legs under them.  That said I'm a firm believer that open backed cans like my K701s may take longer to burn in due to the lack of the "bass reflex" effect produced by a closed can, like the M50.  Most open backed advocates will say 100+ hours, some swear they don't fully break in until around the 400-500 hour point!  

But the M50s?  Mine, with over 1000+ hours on them now, I don't think have ever sounded better.  
smile_phones.gif

I don't think they ever sounded *much* worse either!  Breaking them in by listening to them, a lot, you may find yourself thinking that they are loosening up a bit, getting a chance to breath, like a good bottle of wine.  How much of that is actually electromechanically true and how much is subjective is up to you to decide.  If you DO decide to "burn them in", I recommend no volume higher than what you would normally listen to, make sure there is some space between the cans, so they aren't just firing into each other, and use music, not "pink noise", as some would advocate.  Turn them on, put your player on shuffle and repeat and stuff them in a closet or someplace where they won't keep you awake at night.  Check them in a day or so.

Cheers!

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Personally, I realized my m50x sounded a bit "new" (sorry, can't really find the correct word for it) as compared to a demo unit I've listened at a shop. I did about two days worth of burn-in. I think they sounded a bit better or just that I've accustomed to its sound signature (I've listened to them for two weeks now).

I'll advise to just listen to them as it.

If you're interested in knowing the effects of burn / break-in for headphones, have a glance at Tyll Herstens' http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 9
I purchased the m40x headphones in November 2015. They sounded pretty impressive and balanced out of the box, but better after about a week. After reading so many reviews about the m50x headphones, my curiosity got the best of me. So, after 17 days I returned the 40s and bought the 50s.

I loved the flexibility and looks of the 50s, but the sound wasn't initially as impressive as the 40s. The bass masked the midrange and the highs were exaggerated, almost harsh. I was disappointed and thought I would be returning them. Maybe I should have kept the 40s.

One day before the deadline to return them, I went to the Guitar center to do an A/B comparison between the two. The 40s still sounded good, but now the 50s were starting to  break in and reveal more midrange detail. I decided to keep the 50s. And I'm sure glad I did. I've had them about 7 weeks now and they are still sounding better and better. They are open, detailed, very balanced.  Like other audio equiptment I've purchased in the past, they really do need an extensive burn in before the start to show their stuff.

They deserve all the praise they get in online reviews. If you decide to try some, just remember they need at least 2 to 3 weeks before they start to settle in. I wish I could have afforded to keep the 40s and continue to compare them.

-Odd Harmonic

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 9
  I purchased the m40x headphones in November 2015. They sounded pretty impressive and balanced out of the box, but better after about a week. After reading so many reviews about the m50x headphones, my curiosity got the best of me. So, after 17 days I returned the 40s and bought the 50s.

I loved the flexibility and looks of the 50s, but the sound wasn't initially as impressive as the 40s. The bass masked the midrange and the highs were exaggerated, almost harsh. I was disappointed and thought I would be returning them. Maybe I should have kept the 40s.

One day before the deadline to return them, I went to the Guitar center to do an A/B comparison between the two. The 40s still sounded good, but now the 50s were starting to  break in and reveal more midrange detail. I decided to keep the 50s. And I'm sure glad I did. I've had them about 7 weeks now and they are still sounding better and better. They are open, detailed, very balanced.  Like other audio equiptment I've purchased in the past, they really do need an extensive burn in before the start to show their stuff.

They deserve all the praise they get in online reviews. If you decide to try some, just remember they need at least 2 to 3 weeks before they start to settle in. I wish I could have afforded to keep the 40s and continue to compare them.

-Odd Harmonic

Do you believe this is due to burn-in, or simply your ears getting used to a new set of cans?

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Do you believe this is due to burn-in, or simply your ears getting used to a new set of cans?

I do believe it takes a while to like the sound of the M50s. Maybe folks who are just starting to get into this hobby are instantly impressed by the M50s as their 1st nice pair? Still maybe it seems to take time for people who have a collection to accept the M50s for what they are and understand them. IMO

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 9

I feel that it was due to the extended break in time. I've found this to be true with loudspeakers and other components in my 2 channel home stereo as well. I think the drivers can be a little stiff when they are fresh from the factory. However, I realize that audio, just like other sensory experiences, is a very subjective matter. My goal with my home system was to get as close as possible to the sound quality I heard at my local "high end " store and remain within my modest budget. Over the years I think I did a pretty good job. So things like openness, clarity, tonal quality,timbre, imaging, balance throughout the frequency range, etc. are things I've payed attention to as I've tried to fine tune my system. The M50xs started off slowly, but improved greatly in these areas over time. Sounstage is limited, however.

Now I don't know how these compare to other cans, because I've only listened to the 40s and the 50s. So I wouldn't even begin to say that they are better or worse than this or that pair. I just wanted to share my experience, having been on the verge of returning them after 12 days (14 day return policy). Just my 2 cents.
dt880smile.png

-Odd Harmonic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back