Got the AK 120, but I have a problem...
Oct 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #46 of 60
In the end, I think I'll forgo the balanced approach and go with the SR-71A
Every review I saw was positive and it is an ideal match for HD 600
It's a bit bigger but so are HD 600s

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #48 of 60
Has anybody tried the ALO Rx Mk3 B+. with the AK120? I just ordered one of those AMPs for my AK120 to drive my LCD-2? From the Headfonia reviews, and also other Head-Fi threads, I found better reviews compared to the SR-71A.

I am thinking of the following connections: AK120 - Line-out -> Mk3 - Balanced input -> LCD-2 - Balanced output. Would that work out?

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #50 of 60
AK120 > Single Ended > ALO MIII > Balanced out > LCD RSA Cabled out.

The MIII Amp can take single ended and output balanced... modifying the AK120 to output a balanced signal would make the set up a true balanced one which is why people stack so many devices, they output an unbalanced signal from a player to a device that converts that signal to balanced then to an amp that takes a balanced signal to a balanced headphone.

You'd be saving on pocket space by modifying the AK120 to have it output a balanced signal direct to a balanced amp for a cleaner sound minus it being messed with in the process... you could also listen to it balanced minus an extra amp stage in the middle if you wanted.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #51 of 60
Hi,

I have a AK120 and recently purchased a ALO International, is there anyway I can use my AK120 as a balanced output without the Red Wine modification? I apologize if this has been answered already, I'm new to a lot of this and have been reading some conflicting information.  I did a search for AK120 balanced and it listed the AK120 as being able to output a balanced signal?

If I can do this, what equipment or additional equipment would I need?

Thanks in advance to everybody for their help!

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #52 of 60
  Hi,

I have a AK120 and recently purchased a ALO International, is there anyway I can use my AK120 as a balanced output without the Red Wine modification? I apologize if this has been answered already, I'm new to a lot of this and have been reading some conflicting information.  I did a search for AK120 balanced and it listed the AK120 as being able to output a balanced signal?

If I can do this, what equipment or additional equipment would I need?

Thanks in advance to everybody for their help!

Nope the AK120 has a single ended, not balanced output.  If you need a balanced output, you will need a modification.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #53 of 60
Thanks Harry, that's why I was a little confused when I saw the photo with a single ended output from the AK into the balanced input.  Does the RWAK mod allow you to do that?

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #55 of 60
I have an AK120 and a Ray Samuels SR71B
I connect the AK120 single ended output to the SR71 single ended input
And the SR71b converts the signal to balanced when I connect my balanced headphones to the RSA 71B's
Balanced output
So you need the SR71bB and the cabling for your headphones can be done by moon-audio

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #56 of 60

My mistake. Sorry for not attaching the link. I found out what it was. It's the red wine audio s/b mod to the device and you have to purchase a four pin 3.5mm plug to XLR connection from them.

I've been getting mixed opinions about this modification especially since the ak120 already has an excellent dac built in. I don't know if I want to be without my ak120 while sending it away plus then I lose the ability to use just the ak120 with my iem's.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #57 of 60
I think if you are happy with stock ak120 I suggest you just stick to it, there is no end if you are keep comparing.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #60 of 60
Hi there.

I have had the AK120 / D650 combo since AK120 came out. Works fine through external headphone amps.

I use both Fiio Mont Blanc but my preferred goto is  iBasso D2 - Boa.

So good that I returned it back to Chinese manufacturers when battery needed replacing after 4 or 5 years of continual use.

Like anything audio, amplification is extremely personal - a key element for me is connecting lead (AK120 to headphone amp).

I use silver Kimber cable from Russ Andrews in the UK. Sorted ! This gives me the pristine, clear, extended soundstage I love listening to with bass under control.

Enjoy your listening :wink:

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back