Got SR-71, now I am bored with my HD580's
Jun 20, 2005 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

deanchat

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I bought an SR-71 about 4 months ago. One thing that I have noticed is that I rarely use my Senn HD-580s anymore because I now find the presentation boring. I used to love them. . Anway, I find myself using my Grado SR-60s, which had been collecting dust for the past few years, most of the time now. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I have been listening to an iPod (mostly 320kbps MP3s) though the dock line-out using Cardas to connect to the SR-71. This week I will finally connect my "big rig" to the SR-71 (cables on the way), so I may change my mind when I pump SACD throught the SR-71 to the cans.

On a side note...I also find that when using the Senns I have to set the volume anywhere from 12:00 to 3:00 position, is that normal? I know that Grados are lower impedence, but I only run the Grados at 10:00 - 12:00 volume position, quite a difference.

Thinking of buying Beyer DT880 or Senn HD595. Will that cure my boredom?

Thanks!
Dean

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 17
I woujld say the volume level is about right. And the more of the volume control used the better as you have less of it in the signal path.

The 71 can be laid back so maybe the combination for you and your choice of music is too much of a laid back presentation with the HD and 71.

John

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 17
welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
it sounds to me like you've found the joys of Grado. sell off all those other cans and get a RS-1!

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Perhaps Jahn is right. The RS-1 is one of the 'fun' higher-end phones you can get. The others strive more towards accuracy in some form or other. I think that the RS-1 does go slightly overboard in missing technical tightness in favour of euphony but hey, it sounds nice.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 17
What is correct anyway? A different hall, humidity, temp. . . it all changes the sound so who really knows what the original sound was like. If a headphone produces a "hall" sound or an acoustical space that is peculiar to it, so be it, if it is enjoyable to listen to and what you hear is music.

John

Jun 20, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 17
i have had a similar experience. i first loved my combination of sr-71 with my hd600´s. but slowly i started feeling like they were really dark and distant sounding. going from my ipod to sr-71, i can defintely tell that the sr-71 is a laid back amp. it has incredible qualities to it, the soundstage, the liquid bass, the instrument seperation. but i think it might synergize best with grados, which IMO benefit from a little more laid back presentation. the sennheisers are allready so laid back though, i think they might need a slightly forward sounding amp.

im glad to know someone else has experienced this. id say either get a different amp, or sell the 580´s and get a high end grado or better yet a high end allessandro

biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
i have had a similar experience. i first loved my combination of sr-71 with my hd600´s. but slowly i started feeling like they were really dark and distant sounding. going from my ipod to sr-71, i can defintely tell that the sr-71 is a laid back amp. it has incredible qualities to it, the soundstage, the liquid bass, the instrument seperation. but i think it might synergize best with grados, which IMO benefit from a little more laid back presentation. the sennheisers are allready so laid back though, i think they might need a slightly forward sounding amp.

im glad to know someone else has experienced this. id say either get a different amp, or sell the 580´s and get a high end grado or better yet a high end allessandro

biggrin.gif

Any thoughts on which portable amp might work well with the 580s?

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 17
I used a Go-Vibe with the HD580's when I had them. I would think the AD8066 opamp would sound better w/ the Senns than the OPA2227.

Or one of the Porta Corda Mk II amps should work well. Since the new Mk III is out, used prices on the Mk II should be very reasonable. I know they have plenty of gain/volume on tap, so they should drive the HD580's quite comfortably.

Jun 20, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 17
My experience (somewhat limited), is that the Senns present the music like I am back in the cheap seats, while the Grados sound like I am onstage with the band. I want to be in the 5th row!

I heard/read that the Senn 595 is more "forward" than the 580, 600, is that true?

Any comments on the Beyer DT 880's presentation (especially from people with SR71)?

Those RS-1's are a bit steep at $700! I would need a long-term audition before dropping that much change.

Thanks!
Dean

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 17
I own a pair of 595s and have heard the 580s for a few hours, lent by a friend. I find the 595s soundstage to be much more upfront vs. the 580s. The Mids on the 595s also seems more liquidy and present. The 580s to me had slightly better bass, and the airiness and space between instruments seemed further apart.

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by deanchat
Any comments on the Beyer DT 880's presentation (especially from people with SR71)?

Can't speak for the SR71 in particular, but Ray Samuels' HR-2 works some serious magic with the DT880. Don't know whether it's a matter of voicing or of power, but the Emmeline wakes the Beyers up as no other s/s amp has in my experience.

BW

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 17
Some thoughts from some one who has spent some time with the SR-71.

I think the RS-1 and the SR-71 are a great combo but with the SR-71 the source has just as much to do with the sound as the headphones. I went from the portable vintage Sony and Philips in my sig. To a entry level Meridian 507 and wow the SR-71 sound was much fuller with more bass ( I am not great with words, but lush comes to mind with this combo) and I now find my self turning the volume down not up. (I was turning the volume up to find that something that was missing with the portable source.)

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Can't speak for the SR71 in particular, but Ray Samuels' HR-2 works some serious magic with the DT880. Don't know whether it's a matter of voicing or of power, but the Emmeline wakes the Beyers up as no other s/s amp has in my experience.

BW

The HR-2 is like a SR-71 on steroids, it wakes up any Headphone.
biggrin.gif
"Serious magic" is right the HR-2 is one fine amp.

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by deanchat
My experience (somewhat limited), is that the Senns present the music like I am back in the cheap seats, while the Grados sound like I am onstage with the band. I want to be in the 5th row!

Have you looked into the alessandro series? people have made the analogy that senns put you in the back seats of the music hall, while grados put you in the first row, but alessandros put you in the fourth row. ie. the presentation is not so "upfront" as the grados but definitely not far back like senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back