Got Some Wire -- Have Questions
Dec 9, 2004 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Cyrillic

100+ Head-Fier
I have a couple questions regarding this wire that the people at my local wire & stuff store, AEI, were nice enough to give me. First of all, I'm not quite sure how to go about using this. I intend to make a mini to RCA, so I know I have to have a ground, right and left for the mini, and a right/left + ground and right/left + ground for the RCA's. My question is, which of the wires should I use for which?

dscn1187s.JPG

And then also, I don't know what brand of wire this is, and I'm wondering if it is well suited for what I'm doing.

Thanks.
lambda.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure if I count 4 or 5 wires there (plus shielding fibres). Regardless,
tie two cables together on one end and solder it to the ground connection on
your mini jack. Then pick your wires for the left and right signals and solder
to the mini jack.

Eg:
- tie white and black together on one end and solder to the mini's ground.
- tie red to the mini's right channel
- tie green to the mini's left channel

- tie other end of white wire to ground of left RCA jack
- tie other end of green wire to signal ring of left RCA jack
- tie other end of black wire to ground of right RCA jack
- tie other end of red wire to signal ring of right RCA jack

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 3
From what I see, this cable you've gotten consist of 4 wires, a foil shield and a drain wire for the foil shield.
If you intend to use 2 runs of the cable, 1 for each RCA plug, do the following:

Solder green, white and drain wire to ground on the mini-plug for both cables.
Solder the Red and White wire for left on the mini-plug for one cable and similarly to right channel for the other.

Strip the foil braid and cut the drain wire off at the other end on both cables.
Solder the Green and White wires to ground on the RCA plug and Red and White wires to Signal (Center pin) for each Left/ Right RCA plug respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back