Got some new phones... not sure what to make of them?
Oct 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

neonlyte

New Head-Fier
So after reading a bunch of reviews and whatnot I settled on the Shure SRH840's with a Fiio e7/e9 amp combo. They do sound quite amazing compared to what I was using before (Bose OE, and Klipsh s4's) but it seems to be lacking in the bass department. I know from the reviews that they do have lower bass but they seem to have nearly no bass. Anyone that has had these for a while can weigh in a little bit? I know they need to be worked in a bit to sound right. I'm not really worried about it, they are comfortable and sound great, just curious how much the sound will change.

edit: flipping the gain switch on the e9 helped a bit

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't know if it's my imagination or what, but mine seemed to go from bass light to satisfying over the first few days.

If you're looking for authoritative sub bass though you might be disappointed though, they do noticeably roll off at 30hz.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 3
If you want more mid-bass, you could try using the 3.5mm connector on the E9. I wouldn't normally recommend it, but the silly high impedance on that jack (43 ohms) will boost your mid-bass. You may lose bass quality (and overall sound quality) due to a lack of damping, but it's worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back