Got some IEM's, have a question
Apr 6, 2010 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
So I got my IEM's finally (Etymotic ER6i) and the stock tri flange tips fit very well and isolate well but when I move my jaw around they start to back out a little bit. Is this normal? I tried the bigger of the two tri flanges and that just hurt my ears so I'm back to using the normal ones, but I don't know if I'm getting a good seal or not since they back out a bit whenever I open my mouth.

Also, apparently even I don't know myself... I know I said I wanted some bass heavy phones but the ER6i seems like it has enough bass for me, especially with the EQ. My Sony MDR-V6 over ears have more bass but they also sound muddier to me so I'm really enjoying these ER6i's right now.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 5
I get that sometimes so when that happens I just change the way they go in the ear so it doesn't happen when I open my mouth. It only happens when I yawn or something like that however.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Opening the jaw tends to open up the ear canal. Foam is a better route, a firmer type like the Shure Olive will hold better. Something soft like the Comply open cell foam is more comfortable, but it tends to be too soft to hold and is better suited to earphones more self holding (over ear types). Comply foams and other open cell types also tend to soak up some high frequencies too (good or bad depending).

Sometimes you need that tight fit and associated pain to keep the hold. Otherwise you can start looking at over-ear type earphones that support themselves much better.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 5
If I'm using deep insertion eartips, I can't chew gum--pops right out.

Try switching to single-flange tips or foams. Olives, I believe, fit the 6i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back