Got some free bookshelf Infinity speakers
Dec 9, 2007 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Akathisia

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a free set of Infinity RS 10b's from a friend. I haven't gotten to hook them up yet and was thinking of making them my PC audio system. He said these are fairly decent, but quite bright (brighter that his Yamaha NS10's). so I will probably buy a cheap powered sub and run these of a T amp. Anybody ever heard these or have any recommendations?

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 3
A small and weakly-powered amplifier like the T-Amp will make bright speakers even brighter. "Brighter than NS10s" is a bad sign.
tongue.gif

Are they bookshelves or floorstanding speakers? The former was made in the early '80s, the latter in the early '90s.

Check out this thread on Audio Karma.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks infinitesymphony. Checking out that link they are definitely the early 90's bookshelves with the 1" polydome cell tweeter and 6.5" speaker.

I hooked them up to my living room stereo which is just a Pioneer DVD player, Technics 2ch receiver, and super cheap speaker cable. I used my main reference album and my one classical album I'm familiar with :

Brand New "The Devil and God are raging inside me"
Karajan's Beethoven Symphony No.9

The RS 10b's are very bright and drop a lot of bass information from a recording. I actually like listening to NS10s with a sub, I think they are very detailed and give awesome soundstage (although I don't really have a lot of experience with near field monitors), but a bad recording will sound really bad on them. These little guys aren't as detailed as NS10's... although that could be my stereo rigs fault, or the complete lack of bass.

Overall, I think I will pick up a cheap sub and look for a 80's 2ch receiver and use these as my PC speakers. For free they definitely are not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back