Got some Altec Lansing uhp336....
Jul 10, 2009 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
I honestly can't get a seal for more than a split second. They just pull themselves right back out. I tried all the tips they came with, some of my sony tips, and even some made out of earplugs (from a thread here). After about an hour of trying to get them in, I gave up, and thought maybe they don't seal very well. Listening to them like this, they sound awful. Very little, if any bass, massively colored mids with a huge headache-inducing peak, and mediocre somewhat sibilant treble. I even used the instructions
eek.gif
when I couldn't get them in. Any suggestions? Do they just sound like this all the time? Does burn-in help? I heard they don't need it, but I've started anyway.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly can't get a seal for more than a split second. They just pull themselves right back out. I tried all the tips they came with, some of my sony tips, and even some made out of earplugs (from a thread here). After about an hour of trying to get them in, I gave up, and thought maybe they don't seal very well. Listening to them like this, they sound awful. Very little, if any bass, massively colored mids with a huge headache-inducing peak, and mediocre somewhat sibilant treble. I even used the instructions
eek.gif
when I couldn't get them in. Any suggestions? Do they just sound like this all the time? Does burn-in help? I heard they don't need it, but I've started anyway.

That happened to me as well. They're just so long that they torque themselves right out of my ear. I was able to get a good seal eventually (using the largest, most uncomfortable tips) only to find that the sound signature did not impress me in the least. Burn-in helps with the harshness and they do have (somewhat boomy) bass if you get a seal. The coloration and mediocre treble remain though.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That happened to me as well. They're just so long that they torque themselves right out of my ear. I was able to get a good seal eventually (using the largest, most uncomfortable tips) only to find that the sound signature did not impress me in the least. Burn-in helps with the harshness and they do have (somewhat boomy) bass if you get a seal. The coloration and mediocre treble remain though.

K, thanks, I'll try those again. This could be interesting though, I had a hard time getting those to stay in with normal sized IEM's.

It seems like they could get a seal, but the cord can't wrap over my ears in that position.

I don't care that much about the boomy bass as long as they have some, the sony's I have now have loads of awful boomy muddy bass. My main concern is getting them in, and getting rid of the huge midrange peak.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I finally got them to fit with the medium sized single flanges. They still are almost all midrange, but a little better. They are almost intolerable without the rock eq. They kinda make my ears throb with my pulse too.

They do have good clarity. I guess I might be able to get used to the sound signature for that.

I still have a hard time believing these get recommended so much when it sounds like someone stuck a bandpass filter on them.

Should I return them? I guess I'll burn them in all the way and see if they get better.

Is there anything else in the same price range that can match the clarity, only with a better frequency response?

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Put them in with the upside down fit like you see on the box. I had to switch the L and R to get it to work on mine. Ever since, I've been able to get a good seal, they don't stick out very far, and they sound great. As for burn-in, they sound much better after 30 hours or so. They get more bass. The bass isn't great for rap, but it sounds fine for Jaco Pastorius, Chris Squire, and other music with good bass guitar.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Out of the box, I did not like my UHP336 at all. They sounded too nasally. They were not playing well at all with my Sansa Clip, regardless of EQ settings.
Finally I decided to play with an in-line volume, and found out that if I run them thourgh at around 70 OHM, they sound clears up greatly!
I still don't use them with my Clip, but they sound enjoyable through my desktop rig, as well as my ZVM/E5 combo.

I am using them with comply tips, and considering getting a fixed resistance adapter (such as the etymotic one).

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 10
This is a great headphone. Once I got used to putting them on, I got spoiled with the memory wire - although I broke my first set very early on because of experimentation. Now I know how to set it without having to bend and rebend it much. I also use it with Sansa clip on normal EQ and comply t500 tips.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Well they have about 45 hours on them now, and I will say they are much better. The bass has come out more. My first impression was that the midrange had cooled down and there was more midbass.

Perhaps I'm just adjusting to them as well. After using my M50's and switching back to them they still sound like they are run through a bandpass filter at first. The classical eq does help.

They are alot better; before I could barely take it with the rock eq on, and now I can take it with no eq although the mids are still colored. It still is an uncomfortable experience
frown.gif
. They don't like rock I guess.

Still mostly midrange, but now decent bass, and some laid back treble.

That would be ok, but there are still two peaks. Some sibilance which I think I could live with, but the other is in the ~ 1-3khz range. Some of the upper drums hit way to hard (I'm not sure which one, possibly snare or one of the other smaller ones. Lol I'm not a drummer
redface.gif
), and occasionally vocals get up there.

Do you owners have similar experience with these? I was assuming they've burned in about as much as they will. My last resort is to hunt down the peak and take it out with the rockbox eq.

Do you guys know what the return policies are for amazon? the website was unclear. Can you return IEM's at all, or will they charge a fee? Thanks for the help everyone.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys know what the return policies are for amazon? the website was unclear. Can you return IEM's at all, or will they charge a fee? Thanks for the help everyone.

When you submit a return through amazon, you have to tell them whether you are returning an item because it is defective or for some other reason. If it is defective, amazon will let you print a pre-paid shipping label to send the item back and refund you your full purchase price.

If the item is not defective, the process is exactly the same but they will subract the cost of return shipping (USPS 1st class, so not very pricy) from your final refund amount.

There is no special policy for IEMs specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back