Got Shure E500's and Grado SR-80's...What next?
Oct 30, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #17 of 18
Something with soundstage (cough, HD650s, cough)

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 18
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I decided to be 'responsible' and went with the Sennheiser HD555's for $100, purchased locally (at B&H). My office is (very dangerously, as photography is another expensive hobby of mine) close to B&H in Manhattan, so I walked over after work, picked them up, and took a later train home than usual.

Initial impressions seemed quite good -- but this was 'biased' because I left my E500's at home today and had to 'suffer' with my backup -- a cheap $20 pair of Sony earbuds that I don't even know the model # of, but they sound like crap! So anything halfway decent would have sounded absolutely wonderful after listening to them all day. The HD555's seemed to have a very 'smooth' sound signature -- nothing harsh sounding, nothing 'in your face', just a very 'laid back' sort of sound. Treble and upper midrange detail is a bit lacking, but overall a very listenable and relaxing sound. It's a bit premature, but I think these may end up being my 'standard' headphones to use at work, when I am not listening critically, because their 'gentle' sound will be great for when I am concentrating at work.

I'm really excited about these headphones and hope they improve as time goes on.

Thanks again for your suggestions everyone. I think the Sennheiser sound is a good addition to my current collection and the low price point, yet high value-per-dollar, of the HD555's will let me discover for myself whether the Sennheiser sound is 'right' for me without breaking the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back