Got Sennheiser 558's (love em) need some help on a few things
May 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Perpetualpoet

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I'm a professional percussionist and teacher. I teach percussion ensemble and computer music. I decided recently that I needed to make the plunge into some high quality headphones. I tested the following headphones with nearly every type of music. I'll type a summary below not as a review, but so you can see my tastes. 

Beats HD solo (just cause my students made such a big deal out of them) - Comfortable and nice bass (too much actually), but female vocals were muted and guitar was muddy. Returned

Bose OE2 - The most comfortable on-ears on the planet! Excellent bass, but the highs were very dull. I like my High Hats shimmery! Returned

V-Moda M-80 - I liked these  A LOT. But they just weren't comfortable for me. I didn't like the foam material nor the pressure on my glasses legs that go behind my ear. But my god they are awesome sounding, especially for rock/pop/electronic. V-moda did a really great job here. I'd wait until the M-100 but I do listen to a good amount of marimba solos though and the bass notes are a little muddy for the sound profile on these babies. 

On a sidenote, I had my students try all of the above and even though they were totally brainwashed by beats marketing, after they took a listen every single student said the M-80's were the best headphones they've ever heard. Making one convert at a time....

Sennheiser 558 - Acoustically this is exactly what i was looking for! I like hearing all the details and these certainly deliver. The highs were really nice and the bass was clear. Not only are they comfortable, but I discovered that I really like open headphones because I don't feel so closed off to society and I can hear my wife talking to me :)

So i'm pretty much sold on the 558's but I have a few issues. Firstly the proprietary cord is a big negative. I saw on these forums that I can slice my own or order a custom splice to a 1/8in which I suppose I'm ok with. But I'd have preferred a normal 1/8 to 1/8. Anyhow not a huge deal....

Secondly these are non collapsable and come with no case. I'm going to be toting these things around a lot in my bookbag and I don't want them to get damaged. 

So my question is, would you
A. recommend another headphone with a similar sound (open, detailed etc.) that has a normal cord, is collapsable (or at least has a case)
OR B. could you recommend a good case for these badboys and suggest that I just buy the custom cable

Thanks guys and gals, You're the best!

May 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
A. recommend another headphone with a similar sound (open, detailed etc.) that has a normal cord, is collapsable (or at least has a case)
OR B. could you recommend a good case for these badboys and suggest that I just buy the custom cable

If you like the HD558 so much, there is no point in looking for an alternative. The problems you mention are very minor and easy to solve. You can get a case off of ebay for about 25 USD (for example http://www.ebay.pl/itm/Headphone-Case-For-SENNHEISER-HD418-HD428-HD438-HD448-/251044484803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a736ad6c3#ht_2801wt_1097). As for the cable, you can simply cut the cord right above the jack and re-terminate it with a mini-jack. You can easily do this yourself or any decent electronics store will do it for you.

May 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 13
Rumor has it that Sennheiser might release a 1/8" cable in the future.
But you can just cut off the 1/4" jack and solder on a 1/8" jack of your choosing, Performance Audio has a few, I'm sure lots listed on amazon. lots on the internet.

May 9, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 13
If you can put up with a 3 1/2' to 4' coiled cord, the Koss ProDJ 100 might be a great headphone for you in addition or in lieu of the 558.  In many ways they sound like closed versions of the Senn HD 5x8 line.  Best of all you can get them shipped from Amazon for just under $50.

Here's a video review that is worth a look if you have any interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkPqjWfD6w

You can upgrade to the Tony Bennett version if you want a case and removable cord.

May 9, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Seconded. I recommend the TBSE1 (Tony Bennetts). The case and detachable cable are worth the little extra money. I'm using a retractable Monoprice 3.5mm cable with mine - very portable!
Quote:
If you can put up with a 3 1/2' to 4' coiled cord, the Koss ProDJ 100 might be a great headphone for you in addition or in lieu of the 558.  In many ways they sound like closed versions of the Senn HD 5x8 line.  Best of all you can get them shipped from Amazon for just under $50.

Here's a video review that is worth a look if you have any interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkPqjWfD6w

You can upgrade to the Tony Bennett version if you want a case and removable cord.

May 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I had no idea that they made cases for these things :)  I should search ebay more often :)

Question on the custom cable, how ghetto does it look to splice it? I saw a youtube tutorial where a guys uses some heat shrinks to do it, but the cord looked really bumpy and gross when he was done. Is there a better/cleaner way?

May 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 13
what about the grado adapter? ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=544607&Q=&O=productlist&A=details ) but if you can't use that and you don't know how to diy it, I would have someone just retrofit your current cable or just make you a new one.

May 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
what about the grado adapter? ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&sku=544607&Q=&O=productlist&A=details ) but if you can't use that and you don't know how to diy it, I would have someone just retrofit your current cable or just make you a new one.

The idea is a good one.  However, be aware that the plastic base on the male end is too wide to work with certain cell phone cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back