Got myself a Zune! Whoa!!
Apr 24, 2007 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
My second iPod maxed out in capacity and I really didn't want to get another ipod this time around. There are really few choices out there once you bar out ipods. I guess a Zune was a no-brainer. I actually purchased a Zune with a 80gb harddrive mod and I'm loving it! I'm particularly impressed with the SQ. We all know iPods don't sound the best. I knew that very well too. But I'm just blown away how much better the Zune is over the 5.5gen ipod. To my ears using the same headphones, it sounds as good as an ipod+hornet. The biggest criticism I have for the Zune is that it doesn't have proper lossless. It supports something called WMA Lossless but it just isn't on par with FLAC or AAC Lossless to my ears. If you're looking for a HD based dap to use unamped, the Zune does it's job amazingly well.

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all know iPods don't sound the best. I knew that very well too. But I'm just blown away how much better the Zune is over the 5.5gen ipod.

I didnt know that?!
icon10.gif
thank you
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 29
If I remember correctly, only the software supports WMA lossless. When it transfers it to the device it converts the file to a lower bitrate. At least it did last time I knew of.

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually purchased a Zune with a 80gb harddrive mod and I'm loving it!

Never heard of this. Could you please tell me more?

Thanks

Ciao,

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 29
Nice buy! You should enjoy it very much so, I know I am
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 29
I've been using AAC for cross-compatibility with ipod, but after reading this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227727

I've been giving some thought to WMA 10 Pro @ 256k. Take a look at the results ... not lossless, but awesome considering the savings in filesize. I don't know if the Zune "likes" WMA 10 Pro any better than MP3 or AAC, but it's probably the best codec the Zune runs.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i still want a clock...

DAPs can never compete with a properly made wrist watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendurrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm moderately interested in a Zune as well. How is the interface (both on the unit and the software)?

To me it feels like a cross between the ipod interface and the xmb interface sony uses on the PSP and PS3. I personally think these two are the best media interfaces so this is a good thing. Some people assume the zune uses some kind of variant of windows media player like the Gigabeat the Zuen is based on, but it doesn't. The learning curve for the Zune doesn't seem any more difficult than the iPod or PSP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendurrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good. How easy is navigating a bunch of files without an iPod wheel?

Personally, I was never a fan of the inaccuracies of the click wheel. It would almost always overshoot which is pretty annoying. The more traditional button layout of the Zune requires less movement to navigate which is good imo. Like the iPod, I think you need to make good use of the playlist to avoid getting lost in the vast library of music.

[Further impressions]
I'm currently using my Zune with a pair of super.fi 5 pros. This isn't a particularly impressive setup but the Zune or rather, Toshiba gets the basics just right. For instance, the Zune isn't as hissy as the iPod. In fact it almost doesn't have any hiss. I'm not talking about some fancy lossless files here. MP3s with no hiss! I got into the hobby of lossless files and portable amps initially because I didn't want hiss so this is great. The size doesn't seem to be a big deal as it is marginally bigger than the 4G iPod and it weighs less.

The Zune however doesn't fare well on critical listening mostly because of it's inability to support lossless files. I find myself returning to my 5.5G iPod for the more detailed genres like bossanova in particular. The Zune appears to handle the kind of genres it's target audience would listen to like pop, hiphop, rock, r&b superbly.

I think the hardware has so much more potential. Something partially fullfilled in my case with the harddrive mod, but there are much more software-wise and especially wifi. The hacking community seems to be working hard on modifications to the Zune and so far the results are promising. I can now use my Zune as an external harddrive and the my favorite is that I can record my favorite youtube videos on my zune.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 29
anythingbutipod.com reviewed the Zune last week. The comments on the sound quality seem to contradict what just about everyone who has one is saying (comment in above post about not the Zune "not faring well in critical listening due to not supporting lossless" notwithstanding). He (abip) makes it sound like he thinks the Zune is worse than average for SQ, which is the first I've heard that. I've never heard one so I can't comment, but thought it was strange to see a somewhat negative review of the SQ after hearing so much positive on here. I wonder what players he would consider to have good SQ.

From the review:

"Sound Quality
The Zune’s sound quality is good and will suffice for the majority of users, but if sound quality is a very important feature, you may want to look elsewhere. The very high end and the very low end are somewhat blurry, but something you can only tell with a really nice set of headphones and some critical listening. Sound quality is average at moderate listening levels, but tends to fall flat and louder volumes.

The lack of great sound quality can be blamed on the ODM manufacturer of the Zune, Toshiba. The sound quality of the Gigabeat S was poor and since the Zune is just a modified version of the Gigabeat, this is where the sound quality issue stems from. I’m hoping that Microsoft will ODM the next generation Zune to a different manufacturer (cough . . . cough . . . Cowon) or do it themselves in house.

The sound quality in the current generation Zune could be improved by adding what many believe to be a very critical feature, a custom EQ. As of now there are only presets available including: flat, acoustic, classical, electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, and rock. While these work pretty well, adding a custom EQ could possibly improve the quality of sound or at least give the “tweakers” more options."

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anythingbutipod.com reviewed the Zune last week. The comments on the sound quality seem to contradict what just about everyone who has one is saying (comment in above post about not the Zune "not faring well in critical listening due to not supporting lossless" notwithstanding). He (abip) makes it sound like he thinks the Zune is worse than average for SQ, which is the first I've heard that. I've never heard one so I can't comment, but thought it was strange to see a somewhat negative review of the SQ after hearing so much positive on here. I wonder what players he would consider to have good SQ.

From the review:

"Sound Quality
The Zune’s sound quality is good and will suffice for the majority of users, but if sound quality is a very important feature, you may want to look elsewhere. The very high end and the very low end are somewhat blurry, but something you can only tell with a really nice set of headphones and some critical listening. Sound quality is average at moderate listening levels, but tends to fall flat and louder volumes.

The lack of great sound quality can be blamed on the ODM manufacturer of the Zune, Toshiba. The sound quality of the Gigabeat S was poor and since the Zune is just a modified version of the Gigabeat, this is where the sound quality issue stems from. I’m hoping that Microsoft will ODM the next generation Zune to a different manufacturer (cough . . . cough . . . Cowon) or do it themselves in house.

The sound quality in the current generation Zune could be improved by adding what many believe to be a very critical feature, a custom EQ. As of now there are only presets available including: flat, acoustic, classical, electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, and rock. While these work pretty well, adding a custom EQ could possibly improve the quality of sound or at least give the “tweakers” more options."

Yes, very true. I wish that it had a custom EQ. That would make life a lot better. On the other hand, the sound quality is super!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back