Got myself a new PC
Jun 2, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #16 of 25
I have a personal vendetta against maxtor. I know their stuff is cheap but I had one of their HDD's fail on me and every time I hear of a HDD failing it's always been a maxtor. Just thought I'd toss that out there. SATA pretty much kicks ass thouhg. Makes cable management really easy.

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
I have a personal vendetta against maxtor. I know their stuff is cheap but I had one of their HDD's fail on me and every time I hear of a HDD failing it's always been a maxtor. Just thought I'd toss that out there. SATA pretty much kicks ass thouhg. Makes cable management really easy.

Read my post
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 25
What do you guys do to your hard drives?!
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I've had 3 maxtor drives and all have worked perfectly; even my old 30gig that has and still is thrashed regularly is still chugging away.

That said, my other drives from western digital and seagate have never had problems either.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #19 of 25
I've had three Maxtors and all three failed. My flat-mate had a maxtor, that one failed too. Other failures include the fabled Quantum fireball and IBM 75gxp. I have bad HDD luck. My advice; ignore make, buy multiples and back up often (Norton Ghost is the best £10 I spent on my comp).

Jun 2, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggins
I've had three Maxtors and all three failed. My flat-mate had a maxtor, that one failed too. Other failures include the fabled Quantum fireball and IBM 75gxp. I have bad HDD luck. My advice; ignore make, buy multiples and back up often (Norton Ghost is the best £10 I spent on my comp).

I advise acronis true image, it is much better then ghost and all people who have used norton in the past will agree. Also, seagates offer a 5 year warranty, so if they do fail, you just send them back. Even wd has 3 yeras.. Maxtor only has 1
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #21 of 25
I will see if my HD will fail on me.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 25
I've always bought maxtor HDD's. Never had one crap out on me. I'll continue to buy from them until they give me reason not to.

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I've always bought maxtor HDD's. Never had one crap out on me. I'll continue to buy from them until they give me reason not to.

HDS are hit and run, just that Maxtor's reputation isn't the greatest. Remember, there is always a first for a failure as my dad says.

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #24 of 25
I don't mind Maxtor myself they have replaced drives (4 or 5) for me because I thought they were too noisy. Also they make better and worse drives but people do not pay a bit more for added reliability. I have 18 active drives right now on my main system and many are maxtors. Some will likely fail sometime expect it deal with it. People do like to slag maxtor though and I guess it is fun.

Enjoy the new machine it will likely last for a good while.

Jun 3, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quad
I don't mind Maxtor myself they have replaced drives (4 or 5) for me because I thought they were too noisy. Also they make better and worse drives but people do not pay a bit more for added reliability. I have 18 active drives right now on my main system and many are maxtors. Some will likely fail sometime expect it deal with it. People do like to slag maxtor though and I guess it is fun.

Enjoy the new machine it will likely last for a good while.

18 drives? Why? What type of drive controller do you have? What type of raid do you have? 18 is totally absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back