Got my Yuin PK2s and did some comparisons
Jun 16, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my PK2s and had a chance to spend a lot of time listening to them over the weekend. My impressions without comparing them directly with any other headphones/earphones were that they really do sound good, a clear upgrade from any other earbuds I’ve heard. They sound very balanced, and just really pleasant – I could see myself listening to these for many hours at a time.

After getting these impressions, I decided to compare them directly with the other headphones/earphones I have – stock iPod buds, Sennheiser MX500, JVC Gumys, Sennheiser CX300, Grado SR60 and Koss KSC75.

I listened to the SR60s first. They are pretty much my standard. I’m sure there are more expensive headphones that sound better, but I got a pair of these two or three years ago and I’ve always been totally satisfied with them. A great full, bright sound perfect for rock music. Next was the biggest shocker – the KSC75s are basically the equivalent of the SR60 in terms of sound quality. They may have slightly less bass, but only slightly. The high end might not be quite as précised as the Grados, but on at least one song I preferred the KSC75s because the snare drum was a little harsh on the Grados.

After listening to the SR60 and KSC75, I was afraid I would have a reality check with the PK2’s. They couldn’t possibly match the full sound and bass of the other two. Well, I was partially right. The PK2 can’t quite match the bass and depth of sound of the SR60 and KSC75. But its full, detailed sound does rival that of the other two, and I’d put it in the same general category in terms of sound quality. The PK2 has a similar, excellent level of detail and a little more of a mid-range emphasis.

The PK2 blows away the other earbuds. It’s about as simple as that.

Other than the KSC75’s great performance, the other surprise was the CX300. It really does not come close to the sound quality of the SR60, KSC75 and PK2. The bass is way too “booming” and does not sound natural. The high end is not as detailed.

Overall impressions:
Winners: SR-60, KSC75, PK2
Marginal losers: CX300, stock iPod buds
Losers: MX500, Gumys

Scott

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 2
Nice post. Thanks for giving us your impressions! I just got my pk2 as well...and they make me thirsty to try out the pk1 for bass. However, the pk2 are meant to be unamped and for on the run. Would make no sense for me to get a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back