Got my V6 - Now...
Oct 21, 2003 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JiPi

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I just recieved my pair of V6's by the mail (thanks to Canman. He's the man!). Anyway, I
really like them so far, and I understand that they are absolutely not burnt in so I can just imagine after
those 100 hours (who said that about them needing a good 1000 hours? HEH.)! Now that I have two
'hi-fi' (decent-fi doesn't exist, so I'll use that instead...) headphones, I can finally compare and see
what people talk about when they go 'Oh this phone is much better in this or that department, but
then again it lacks a bit of this and that..' (and so on, all in chinese of course
wink.gif
). I'd like to get
some tips by some of the experienced - or not - head-fi'ers as of how to listen to headphones when
one has as a goal to 'compare' them. Hmm, that wasn't clear. I want to know what to look - listen - for to find
the weak spots of headphones when comparing side to side. I can hear a difference but I can't really
say what's different, see.
rolleyes.gif

One more thing. Just wanted to know, am I the only person on this board for whom these headphones
are circumaural?! I was expecting something way more uncomfortable (because so many people
seem to switch the pads from the stock pleather - very cheap btw - pads for the Beyer ones). I say
cheap probably because I'm more used to my V700 - oh yeah, these are my other pair of headphone!
The pleather on them is well, leather! Compare to that kleenex-like fabric on the pads of the V6! Eh.

Oh and one more thing, again. Anyone know of a way to get rid of these two 'loops' the wire makes
when the headband is set to the smallest? They look really ugly when they're on my head
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 17
I suppose a good starting point would be to pick a few songs that you know well and listen from a good source. When I compare, I use a busier rock-type song with a lot of depth and variety, as well as a slower blues tune with more opportunity to hear individual "stuff".

The last time I did something like that I used:
- "Heavy" by Collective Soul
- "Digging My Potato" by Yoko Kanno (clear harmonica and drums)

Not very technical advice, but it's a start to get your ears going.

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 17
The thing is...your ears need to adapt to the Sony's...it might take a few weeks before you get really used to them...then try on another pair of headphones. That's when you will really notice the difference.

Enjoy, those Sony's will definitely grow on you.

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 17
Yea.. I did that (I listen mostly to electronic music). I can hear a difference, but I just can't put my
finger on the "area" of the sound that is better/worst. That's what I meant. I would like to be able
to tell a difference between treble/bass/highs/mids/etc...

Oct 22, 2003 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 17
I own a pair of the V6's with the Beyer pad mod. These pads do completely surround my small ears. I'm sure that makes it more comfortable than sitting on my ears for hours.

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 17
With the Beyer pad mod, the V6 are also circumaural on my ears. It's still a bit uncomfortable for me though since the tips of my ears will get sore after an hour from pressing on the foam covering the drivers. I guess my ears just stick out a lot.
confused.gif
Still, it's better than the old pleather pads that were falling apart on me and would leave little pieces of pleather everywhere.

Oct 22, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi

One more thing. Just wanted to know, am I the only person on this board for whom these headphones
are circumaural?! I was expecting something way more uncomfortable (because so many people
seem to switch the pads from the stock pleather - very cheap btw - pads for the Beyer ones).

No, you're not the only one. the V6 fit me just fine and I can wear them comfortably for 3 or 4 hours at least. So, I don't plan on changing the pads until the stock ones start to fall apart.

Oct 22, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 17
Hmm. So no tips for the comparison? Please...
frown.gif

Oh, and I'd really like to know how to get rid of those loops! They make these headphones look real
cheap (and ugly) when they sit on my head. I'd have to post a pic.. Another time maybe :p

Oct 22, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 17
tips for comparison? usually I use the same source and certain CD's in which certain sonic characteristics stand out...

here's an example of a comparison between the HD280 and the 7506, i guess....

in this case, I've got a crappy source [Audigy Plat. (PC)] and a portable CD player, but anyway, I just picked two CDs...in this case, it's foreign pop....so there's Alizee's 'Gourmandises' and Utada Hikaru's 'Distance' [sorry for my taste in music
evil_smiley.gif
]

my impressions on the CD's themselves is that Alizee is really sibilant, and Utada Hikaru has got lots of bass...

so now with the headphones....the V6/7506, with the Alizee album became so sibilant and hissy that it was quite unbearable, so i'm guessing there's increased treble...next came the HD280s, and the sibilance wasn't as bad...it made the album easier to listen to....in terms of bass comparison, I found that the HD280s went as low as the 7506, but had less impact....the Utada Hikaru album was still very bassy on the HD280s, but it was more so in the 7506...

in the end, I found that there was more emphasis in highs and lows for the 7506, while the frequencies for the HD280s was more evenly spread...

so that's my comparison...I don't know if what I've just written is just plain garbage, or whether it's something that was actually useful, but I hope it's help you some!
smily_headphones1.gif
280smile.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 17
The only way to get rid of the coils is to get a new cord. All you need to do is order a lenght of new cable, heatshrink tubing, silver solder, a soldering iron, and a wirestripper. A cleaning fluid like Caig Pro Gold might be helpful. Search in the cables forum for more details on replacing cables.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 17
there's not much you can do about that really....if you keep your V6's at a set size setting, then you could do something about it...you can either pull the excess cable into the earcups [you might have to open those], or you could cram the excess cable into the headband [you'll have to take apart the headband]...

if you keep changing the size of the headphones for whatever reason, then it's probably best not to get rid of those loops....besides, lots of other headphones have them [ie. the Beyer DT770, 880, 990]

If you really wanted to get rid of those loops I suppose you could make the V6 a headphone with dual entry cord, one cord going into each earcup...that would get rid of the cord that goes through the headband...but you'll need a diamond studded drill to get through the metal cap that sits on top of the earcup....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 17
JiPi, I thought it was possible that you meant those loops and not the loopy cord, but since most people find the cord to be the most annoying thing about the V6's, I decided that was what you meant.

For the headband loops, just pull the wire down through the small plastic guides, then tape the excess wire to the inside of the headband. I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll draw something to explain it.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 17
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answers. I thought of pulling it through but I didn't know if it would've passed through the 'thing' holding it secured in (plastic piece..). I didn't pull hard in fear of breaking the wire, but now that I know its been done (or do you guys just say that from the top of your heads?), I'll try that tonight. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back