Got my SUper mini moy today, took some pic!
Feb 4, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #16 of 34
www.shellbrooklab.com

took 2 weeks from the date of order to get mine. Got mine for $95 shipped.

regarding the name issue,

arent the mini moys influenced by cmoy design with some alterations?
and the maxi moy is influenced by the MINT amp design.
and ascent is based off of Pimeta I believe.

someone correct me if Im wrong.

Feb 5, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 34
Hi,

I ordered a Super Mini Moy from Drew back on the 15th or so. It said shipped on the 31st of Jan. I'm guessing it will either arrive today or Monday.

I live in Washington, DC. The mail is slow here sometimes.

So - how do you like it so far?

Groovn

Feb 6, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by groovndc
Hi,

I ordered a Super Mini Moy from Drew back on the 15th or so. It said shipped on the 31st of Jan. I'm guessing it will either arrive today or Monday.

I live in Washington, DC. The mail is slow here sometimes.

So - how do you like it so far?

Groovn

groovndc - I'm in the DC area, too (Fairfax, to be exact). I was *hoping* that the mail was just slow but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have been the case for me. Take a look at the thread I just created entitled "My experience with Shellbrook Audio Labs". I'd like to know what your experience has been like.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 34
I got the shellbrook silver cable today

edde560b.jpg

some initial impressions. Im still awaiting my hedphones, so I cant give a critical analysis or anything.

but the cable itself is thin, the right angle neutriks are nice connectors (can anyone tell me where I can find these plugs?)

Build quality: Nice and sturdy.. though I did encounter a problem, I was surprised that this slipped by Drew. I ordered a right angle cable, and the two plugs do not sit flush with each other, If I were to lay the cable down flat. i.e. one plug lays down flat and the other lays on its back. This makes it dificult for plug placement. Those that are familiar with cable assembly should know exactly what Im speaking of.

Not a biggie, but something that couldve been avoided. That cable itself is flexible but must flex in a specific direction. I assume its due to the braid and the tubing around the housing. The cable is thin, roughly 1/8" in diameter.

Ill post impressions of how it sounds compared to the Cardas when that arrives with my head gear.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 34
Great, I can't wait to read about your impressions of both amps, I don't think anyone has done a head on comparison between the Go-vibe and Super Mini Moy yet.
I'd also like like to see your comparison between the cardas and Chellbrook silver cable. Make sure you include tons of picks like in this thead.
orphsmile.gif

Nice pics by the way.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 34
cable question, i noticed...just made myself this today....

silver.jpg

it stays flexed on rebound at all, would keep a feather still, so im sure it would work for you muvo

6 inch tip to tip
22ga sc3 HGA silver braid
black switchcraft plugs
techflex and heatshrink.

also i love my mini moy a ton, currently looking for amp to complement it for home use.

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #23 of 34
infiskik, you always have beautiful cables.

I already found a cable I can use that is highly flexible a 4 lead 26 awg cat 3 cable.

Now if I could only find some cheap decent plugs.

My muvo weighs like an ounce so even if you blow on it itll move
smily_headphones1.gif

cat3mini6.jpg

the problem also lies in the spacing, stacked there is like an inch or less of space :p

unforunately I can not do a direct comaprison between the mini moy and the headsave. My headsave was a gift to a friend. So its not in my possession. sorry folks!

I got my e2c's and sr-80s today, will do some burn in, the flats should be arriving from Todd soon, hopefully tomorrow!

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
it came like that, I think its like ink or something. I just assumed its inherent to hand made territory.

u should try to polish it off. gah...i couldnt stand it if it came like that
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
u should try to polish it off. gah...i couldnt stand it if it came like that
frown.gif

LOL, bah its nothing bothersome, this is a portable amp, its gonna get dirty no matter what. It probably means Drew is a hands on guy, had some ink lef ton his fingers while building his amp? heh

anyhow, I did a bit of listening comparisons last night.

last night while doing some tests...

I did notice a difference between my headphone out on my muvo and the out on the mini moy.

at first the difference was subtle, not even worth mention.. it took me about 20 minutes of listening and switching before the differences was apparent. now the differences to me a pretty noticeable.

This was the test done with the Shure e2's, Creative muvo slim 512mB, shellbrook 13" silver braided right angle mini, shellbrook mini moy, and 320 bit rate mp3.

The song I used was beautiful but Jeremy Camp.

the muvo headphone out was had muddy mids and loose dirty bass. The highs were recessed and sounded like like it was in a cardboard box, even after custom EQ.

with the mini amp, I got a sense of airyness that was not present from just the muvo slim. the bass tightened, and I could hear the bass guitar thump clearly. it was more articulate. the dirty sound went away and the mids were cleaned up. Some people say that for portable use such such differences are negligiable, i would agree with "Non-Isolating" ear buds.. but with the Shures, no matter where you are you should benefit from the jump in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back