Got my SR009
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Tried only that I have now (6S4A GE and 5751 GE) and stock tubes. I firstly got 6S4A GE tubes and 5751 GE I got only a two week later, so for two weeks I lived with only stock power tubes changed (the stock power tubes didn't have firm label on them, so will call it "no name" 6S4A) to 6S4A GE and it was clearly an improvement, it was like it was cleared some veil on sound when I changed power tubes, so I will recommed to try to change all the tubes if it's possible...

I will take you advice then, just bought 8 NOS NIB 6S4A GE tubes from ebay.

I love how it is so cheap to buy new tubes for the GES! I only paid 36 usd for all 8 and that includes shipping to Sweden!

In other news, I just got a package delivered from japan.. My SR-009 finally arrived :)
Pricejapan didn't answer due to their holiday apparantly, so no worries there.

Also I managed to save over 2000 usd by choosing pricejapan over buying them new in here in Sweden. Not bad!

Just waiting for my woo ges and metrum octave now, should be here next week probably.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:
I will take you advice then, just bought 8 NOS NIB 6S4A GE tubes from ebay.

I love how it is so cheap to buy new tubes for the GES! I only paid 36 usd for all 8 and that includes shipping to Sweden!

Maybe it's stupid question... but just in case, I still ask: are they matched?
It's just I know the case (it is one guy on russian forum and I'm pretty sure he's telling true) when not matched tubes caused the failure of driver on SR-007 headphones, so it's better to be careful with this... but I don't really know how much is important to be matched in case of power tubes though... but just in case I buy only matched tubes.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:
It sure was, but it was hard day for me... by the way on the next day I came with my 009 and 507 to my friend (the one that has KGSS and 007) house and start another small listening session on his rig... His rig is quite something: CONSONANCE D-Linear 7C as the digital source, Accustic Arts DAC 1 Mk II as DAC and he also has PS Audio Power Plant P5 and very good power cables, so there is no problem with power in his rig. KGSS  sounded much better then he sounded at my place, I think it was mainly becase of DAC... I think that KGSS need a "warm" DAC with "smooth" sound, so if DAC is on the analytical side of sound then I wouldn't recommend to choose KGSS, especially with 009, because it would sound pretty harsh and maybe even bright... The second reason why KGSS sounded at my place not like it may sound is because of power cable: at my house we used Black Dragon power cable, but at the house of my fried we tried Black Dragon and then tried Cardas Golden Reference and we understand that Cardas power cable "smooth" signature is much better to KGSS than crystal clear sound of Black Dragon.
By the way also listened LCD-2 rev.1 with cable from CablePro and it blown my mind! It sounded better than 007 in every way and emotionally vocal was even better (and I'd even say much more) than on 009!! Also the atmosphere on the old rock (Pink Floyd) and club jazz (something like smoked room and etc.) was amazing on LCD-2, the 009 sounded great though, but Pink Floyd sounded not like rock concert, but more like concert at the Philharmonic, so again 009 sounded great and interesting but not close to reality...

Awesome ! I've noticed and read many times how the source plays a great role is making the 009 produce good sound, even noticed that simply changing an interconnect and or  power cord immediately affects the sound.

This seems to be first time I've read someone  favoring the LCD-2 over the 009 ( on a stax 009 thread nonetheless) . Now I feel I may have , made a mistake selling my LCD-2 r2 :frowning2:
Or perhaps I just haven't heard how good either headphone can really sound , hopefully the L.A. meet will enlighten me :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

It's just I know the case (it is one guy on russian forum and I'm pretty sure he's telling true) when not matched tubes caused the failure of driver on SR-007 headphones, so it's better to be careful with this... but I don't really know how much is important to be matched in case of power tubes though... but just in case I buy only matched tubes.

Great question and good point!

No they are not matched, not sure if I need to match them or not actually. I heard that the power from the tubes were heavily feedbacked in the ges.

Been thinking about buying an old tube tester actually, not really sure if they measure the actual Mu though.

This driver damage doesn't sound good. Would suck if my new sr-009 broke due to a 5$ tube....

I will mail Jack and ask if I need to match the power tubes also.

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Matching is better but it shouldn't cause any damage to the phones.  Even if the tube failed then the output capacitors would take the biggest hit. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Matching is better but it shouldn't cause any damage to the phones.  Even if the tube failed then the output capacitors would take the biggest hit. 

Great info, thanks!

Would something like this be suitable for matching the tubes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Amp-Bias-match-Meter-6L6-El34-KT88-6550-7027-5881-6v6-6BQ5-7591-Probe-/300627697723?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item45fecea03b

Just not quite sure if it would work with 12AX7 and 6S4A tubes. They are 9 pin but it doesn't say anything about them in the ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back