GOT MY SPEAKERS!
Jul 20, 2001 at 2:10 AM Post #16 of 25
I'll update my impressions a little... I'm gonna write up a full review, but for now this is what I've notice the few weeks I've had them.

The bass is still really strong for the size of the speakers IMO. Not overwhelming or boomy or anything, it's still pretty tight and accurate. I've thought about a sub to get those really low notes, but it'd just be too much for my room. Maybe when I get those martin logans in the living room :p

I think these speakers are pretty warm, or maybe it's the combo of these speakers and the amp. Not sure, but I like it. Midrange is beautiful and somewhat forward, but VERY smooth.

Treble detail is there, but pretty laid back. These speakers just sound really sweet, and definitely not fatiguing.

And of course the imaging is amazing, close you're eyes and the performer is right in front of you. Something that my headphones couldn't give me... and speaking of headphones, I'm left with only my HD600's and MG Head now, which was my favorite combination of everything (V6's, creek obh-11, sr125's, rs-1's, etc...), but it's so hard to go back and listen to them after listening to these speakers exclusively for a couple weeks. I can still appreciate how good they sound, but I'd rather be listening to the speakers! Hopefully this will change, because the HD600's are such beatiful sounding headphones, I'd hate to neglect them.

And no, I haven't tried any other speaker cable yet, but I want to. I'm gonna get some soon, just looking around at what I want to get. Oh ya, up next in the upgrade line for me, aside from speaker cable, is an audio rack (yeah! finally have enough stuff), a new cd player (sacd? tube? who knows), and if I start listening to the HD600's alot more, an earmax pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Look for a review of the speakers after the honeymoon period is over... Probably another week or so.

Jul 20, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 25
flumpus, i'm also looking for bookshelf speakers, but at a slightly lower price point. Have you auditioned any other bookshefs, and do you think these offer a significant improvement over speakers in $500 price range? thanks

Jul 21, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 25
I'd recommend the NHT Superones and SB2 (at about $300 and $400 a pair respectively). My dad and I auditioned the Supertwo's before, which are basically the Superone in a tower configuration with a built in sub. The sound does seem very clear and uncolored like how most people describe NHT speakers. I think the brightness I heard was due to the Yamaha receiver, which seem to sound that way (from reviews I've read) especially for the budget and HT models, and the fact that the dealer really cranked it, probably straining or clipping the receiver. The built in sub wasn't too impressive though, more like a woofer. I think the SB2's are going to replace the Superones so you should be able to find some good deals on the Superones. The 1.5's we auditioned seem to feature the same components as the SB2 (the tweeter I'm pretty sure of though) except the enclosure had an angled front like their top of the line audiophile models. Again, sound that NHT is known for, but a more airy treble response compared the the Supertwo because of the new tweeter. BTW, both recommended speakers are acoustic suspension design, with the Superones in a glossy black laminate finish and the SB2 in piano gloss black with rounded corners.

BTW Flumpus, the Concertino's sure are gorgeous little beauties =)

Jul 21, 2001 at 4:11 PM Post #19 of 25
Thomas, you're not gonna believe this, but if there's a tweeter near you, go there and buy the Concertino's. They're only $600! I went in there yesterday, and they had marked them down so I got $220 back! I was so happy. So at that price, nothing can touch them.

I did audition some lower end B&W's, some paradigms, some klipsch, stuff like that, and the concertino's sounded much better IMO.

Jul 21, 2001 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 25
Flumpus, i don't think there are any concertos near me
frown.gif
Damn, $600 is a great price for your speakers...(they certainly look much better than anything in that price range
smily_headphones1.gif
, i'm sure they also sound much better too. I'll try and look around at local stores to see if i can find them....

livingplasma- thanks for the recommendations...i'll also try and audition them. Btw, i started a tread a couple weeks ago, pls reply there so we don't take over Flumpus' thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Thomas, you're not gonna believe this, but if there's a tweeter near you, go there and buy the Concertino's. They're only $600! I went in there yesterday, and they had marked them down so I got $220 back! I was so happy. So at that price, nothing can touch them.

That is one super buy.

Hummm now to convince the wife............
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 6:49 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus

Wow, those are $1000. speakers! If I could get'em for that price, I'd pick them up next weekend. Unfortunately, there are no Tweeters in my town. (hangs head, droops shoulders)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back