Got my new T/T
Sep 3, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
BTW I Robot by The Alan Parsons Project really rocks with cans. Listening to this through a pair of Stax is almost a religious experience
biggrin.gif

I concur! And I am normally not a religious man...

Sep 3, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 25
I owned a Mitchell Gyrodeck TT about 15 years ago; used it with a Zeta tonearm and I forget the cartridge(s). Awesome sound and a beautiful rugged turntable. But I gave up LP's out of laziness...
frown.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #18 of 25
That is a fine looking turntable.

Any suggestions as to how to keep the dust off of it? (it would be a shame to cover such a piece of art with a towel)

I used to own a 3 armed Micro-Seiki turntable that didn't have a dust cover and it was a bitch to keep clean.

Sep 4, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 25
Yeah, it's bit of a bummer that I paid all that money for the deck and didn't get a dustcover.

It's been suggested that I use an old LP to keep dust from the platter when not in use.

Pro-ject do produce an acrylic dustcover for their T/Ts but ive no had a price as yet. Michell also produce one that can be used with all decks of this type - it retails at around £30 UKP.

Sound As Ever
Listening to Hot Rats - Frank Zappa

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #21 of 25
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you have many wonderful hours together! To keep dust off, try asking your significant other for a large silk scarf, then drape it over the table. This will provide a certain amount of dust protection, just be careful with the stylus!
Out of curiousity, did you get to listen to a Nottingham Analogue?
Andrew

Sep 9, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #22 of 25
There are discussions on the Vinyl Asylum about dust covers changing the sound--resonances and all. I use compressed air and a soft paintbrush for dust.

Is the sound changing as the cartridge breaks in? Vinyl rules!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #23 of 25
Dust covers as the Michell universal are not screwed to the table and easily removable so they can't be a cause of resonance. A scarf or another nice piece of cloth should have similar dust protection, but don't protect the needle.

Sep 12, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by insanefred
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you have many wonderful hours together!

(snip).......

Out of curiousity, did you get to listen to a Nottingham Analogue?
Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Well I had a good session at the weekend and spun:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Tom Waits - Bounced Checks
k.d. Land - Absolute Torch And Twang
Georgio Moroders Metropolis
David Crosby and Graham Nash- Wind On The Water

Had a ball. Unfortunately, my boss (female... how can I say no?) is riding me at the moment so i've been spending more time at work than usual so I haven't had much time to spend with my toys of late
frown.gif

I never did get to audition the Nottingham. I would probably have had to visit the factory to listen as I don't knwo of anybody local that has them on dem. As much of a rarity here as anywhere else in the world I think.

Daycart1: I'm sure it is changing, ever so slightly but as I mention above. All work and no play at the moment.

Sound As Ever
Listening to Suzy Bogguss - Greatest Hits
Just Chillin', havin' a bud.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
It took about 3 weeks in all to get it delivered and setup (more hassles) but it's now in fine fettle and does me proud.

Hi Trawlerman,

I have an opportunity to buy the Project RPM9 at a very good price. (< USD$800). Only problem is that I have to buy it blind and set it up myself. Is the RPM9 really very troublesome to setup? Can a newbie like me able to get the best sound out of it on my own without the dealers help?

Any advise, opinions appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back