Got my new portapros, love 'em, very adjustable sound
Feb 16, 2004 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Steve999

smooth, DARK
After trying them out and being very impressed at the recent head-fi meet in D.C., I got my own portapros. I like them much better than my PX100s.

What I also notice is that the portapro sound is extremely adjustable, from sizzling highs to boomy bass and some very nice KSC-35 (I have those too, great sound, but those earclips, uhg) sounds in-between, both by adjusting the 3-way "comfort" adjuster at firm, medium, and light, and adjusting the tension of the headband. I can get the earpads pretty well up off my ears or tight against my ears and every which-way in between. I think I must have the ideal portapro head shape.
biggrin.gif
After an hour or so of practice, it's suit sound to taste, with the sweet spot sounding oh soooooo good.

I did have to bend the metal clip meant as a latch for folding way back, as it liked to catch the upper lip of my ear when I had the comfort setting adjusted to "light."

I could rattle of a pretty good list of full-sized headphones I don't like as much as the portapros. But I won't.
redface.gif

For those who've never heard the portapros, I'd say they have a lot in common with the Grado sound. Not quite as good as my SR60s, perhaps, but not too terribly far off the mark, either.

Interesting comment by Davie about the portapros (below, from another thread). I'd flip the ratings, at the very least. Five stars for value for the portapros, no matter how you slice it, IMHO. It's the first truly portable phone I ever really liked.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by the always insightful Davie in another thread about the new headroom ratings:
I'm not sure I would put the PX100 a full notch above the Portapro. Ergonomically and aesthetically I think it's much better, but based on extensive head-fi reading on these cans I get the impression that more people seem happy with the Portapro sound than the PX100...

Personally, I still prefer the PX200 to either of them...

Feb 16, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 5
I agree, the PortaPro's are nice cans and I really liked the "comfort zone" feature too. In fact I think they were my first decent pair of headphones, but I found the bass could be a little too much sometimes. Still, great phones - enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Actually, I'm amazed how good these portapros sound, IF I play around with the comfort zone setting and headband tension. If I just have the earpads firmly against my ears, then forget it, they're just barely better than the PX100s. I've been listening to them more today, without naming names (no use getting people's adrenaline up), I can think of sooooooooo many full-sized headphones that I feel don't sound as good as these.... I like these better than the KSC 35s, because I can get so many different sounds out of them, to include the KSC 35 sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I see you've moved on to eggos and ety 4s... not a basshead for sure.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by darkfusion
I agree, the PortaPro's are nice cans and I really liked the "comfort zone" feature too. In fact I think they were my first decent pair of headphones, but I found the bass could be a little too much sometimes. Still, great phones - enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Just give it time
smily_headphones1.gif
I found the bass to be too much after owning mine for a few months. I stopped caring to only hear the drums in rock, or the basslines in rap and techno and everything else hidden behind the bass. It's a reason I won't own the PortaPro again (the main reason being build quality meant I had to replace them), and probably won't bother with a pair of PX100 again.

Feb 16, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Maybe so, maybe so, I was a little appalled by the huge bass UNTIL I learned to play with the headband and the "comfort zone" settings, now I really think I'm getting KSC 35 sound but with a headband. (I do have the KSC 35s, too.) If the headband tension is high, and the comfort zone is set to "light," it really pulls the drivers and the earpads away from my ears, for a nicely balanced sound. In fact, I can overdo it and make it so there's not enough bass and the highs are sizzling bright...

But we'll see, I'm open minded, but I think I've got the bass problem beat, though...
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
Just give it time
smily_headphones1.gif
I found the bass to be too much after owning mine for a few months. I stopped caring to only hear the drums in rock, or the basslines in rap and techno and everything else hidden behind the bass. It's a reason I won't own the PortaPro again (the main reason being build quality meant I had to replace them), and probably won't bother with a pair of PX100 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back