got my MDR-CD3000... and wow, it is amazing
May 22, 2006 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

dhp

(formerly known as DieInAFire)
After going through many headphones, Grados from 60 to 1, Senns from 580 to 650, AKG k501 to k340, and many more, I think I've found it. The headphone for me: The Sony MDR-CD3000. Why the hell did they discontinue this? It's a work of beauty. The comfort is so good I can't stop smiling, and i'm coming from the K501. The leather is just so soft that it makes my fingers tingle, and it's so big it could compensate for the height of a midget. Now, onto the actual sound: I'll get to this later, but all I can say is, the bass is deep, tight, well articulated, and the percussion sounds great, with the right amount of "tingle" or "tap" and the decay is just right. Of course, when I first tried the CD3000s at the SJ meet, it was immediately after spending quality time with the MDR-R10s, so naturally, the CD3000s felt closed, cramped, and crappy. However, even after coming from the airy K501s, i can't believe how open these headphones sound even though they are technically closed. Anyways, more on these cans later, I'm going to bed.

May 22, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 61
Welcome to the club...
evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 61
Congrats man! You've gone through a bunch of great sonic signatures and it's good to hear you might have found 'the one'!

Spread the CD3k love...
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

May 22, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 61
Congratulations on your discovery! The CD3000s have been somewhat of a controversial can, with some people claiming they are too bright. To these ears, and yours obviously as well, this is definitely not the case. Enjoy.....they are one of a handful of GREAT cans out there. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
hmm, is there a place where I can replace the headband?

Headphile?

May 22, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 61
It's been a long while since the CD3k were discussed on head-fi. Back in 03 when I joined these boards, there was a big consensus that the CD3k are reference quality.

But somehow, they kind of dropped off our collective radar, don't you think?

May 22, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 61
Dear head-fi,

I hate you.

As some of you may have noticed there was a CD3000 in the Headphones FS section of the forum, and now it has been sold. To me. And I can barely afford them.
mad.gif
I'd like to join Team Impulse and Team Empty Wallet.

I sure do hope that they'll perform well on my system for now. And I'm even having exams, I can't try them for a few weeks now. Well, nonetheless...I'm happy inside.
tongue.gif

May 22, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 61
I listened to the 3k on some singlepower tubes and thought it sounded great. Not harsh at all IMHO.

Kind of wish I spent more time A/B'ing it with the SA5k... on the same amp.

Kudos to you!!
Enjoy,
Garrett

May 22, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Kind of wish I spent more time A/B'ing it with the SA5k... on the same amp.

Now that's interesting! Any opinions on CD3k vs SA5k?

May 22, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Congrats on getting your CD3Ks, they still remain as one of my favorite cans in my collection. They play well with SS amps and even better with tubes. As for the replacement headband you can get them thru partstore:

http://www.partstore.com/ModelDetail...lose=0&exact=1

So the # is A-4540-110-A right?

May 22, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 61
I think Sovkiller may have a assembly diagram of the CD3Ks with the appropriate part numbers. Sov, could verify this or if possible post the said diagram with part numbers if you have them.

May 22, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I think Sovkiller may have a assembly diagram of the CD3Ks with the appropriate part numbers. Sov, could verify this or if possible post the said diagram with part numbers if you have them.

I know I have come across it befor but I can't find it again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back