Got my iAudio X5L 30 GB - questions
Mar 20, 2006 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I got my birthday present and here it is! So far, it seems like a very nice player. I will post pictures later, I'm sure many of you have seen the unit anyway. Just for reference, I am used to controlling my minidisc player's joystick (MZ-S1), so this is a little weird.

1) How can I get back to the now playing screen without hitting the pause button when the screen is:

a) black
b) inside a directory looking at MP3's.

So far, though, I can tell this is going to work better for me than tag-based browsing. I had no idea how much freaking music I had until I looked around today and folders and sub-folders will be the key here. Transfers are almost ridiculously fast by the way, but I have a question:

2) Is it wise to leave the adaptor plugged in while transferring? This was always the case with MD. Eventually I'll get a cradle. This little black thing just isn't doing it for me.

As for the backlight,

3) How can I get it to do what I want it to do? What does Backlight Time (M) and (R) mean? Basically, I want the bright one to stay on for a few seconds and while active, but I'd like the non-bright one to stay on longer than for the 17 or so seconds it is right now.

4) How can I stop a track in the middle of playing it? Pushing down the stick goes to directories, pausing and going back seems to be the only way of doing this.

By the way the screen protectors are awful, I'm going to have to try that packaging tape trick!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I like the interface and the sound output is actually quite good, although I must admit it sounds better amped. I can't want to getting around to playing with all of its other features, especially the video, though I'll need to locate an mp4 encoder.

Build quality is top-notch by the way. iPods dream of having such a brick-like feel to them. I can appreciate a nice aluminum case every once in a while. It is a bit heavy, though, but fortunately that is due to the fact that I have 30 or so hours of battery life.

5) Can I create playlists with the included software?

Thanks for any help.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 25
Uh oh, I haven't studied for this test...

1 a) Push the power slide all the way up and release, don't hold it or it will turn off.

1 b) Press the Record button.

2 ) I always have transferred with the Charger in place. Its just a habit of mine.

3 ) (M) is main unit (R) is for remote. I think you can only control the backlight, the secondary goes by itself.

4 ) I don't understand what you're trying to do... If you want to start the song over when turning it on, turn off auto play and/or resume.

5 ) Try using this. I've tried it, didn't like it though.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 25
MD1032:

I can't wait for you to post the pics, because I am looking into buying the x5l 30gb and I would to know how big it is and how the video and interface looks like in person.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Well, I got my birthday present and here it is! So far, it seems like a very nice player. I will post pictures later, I'm sure many of you have seen the unit anyway. Just for reference, I am used to controlling my minidisc player's joystick (MZ-S1), so this is a little weird.

1) How can I get back to the now playing screen without hitting the pause button when the screen is:

a) black
b) inside a directory looking at MP3's.

So far, though, I can tell this is going to work better for me than tag-based browsing. I had no idea how much freaking music I had until I looked around today and folders and sub-folders will be the key here. Transfers are almost ridiculously fast by the way, but I have a question:

2) Is it wise to leave the adaptor plugged in while transferring? This was always the case with MD. Eventually I'll get a cradle. This little black thing just isn't doing it for me.

As for the backlight,

3) How can I get it to do what I want it to do? What does Backlight Time (M) and (R) mean? Basically, I want the bright one to stay on for a few seconds and while active, but I'd like the non-bright one to stay on longer than for the 17 or so seconds it is right now.

4) How can I stop a track in the middle of playing it? Pushing down the stick goes to directories, pausing and going back seems to be the only way of doing this.

By the way the screen protectors are awful, I'm going to have to try that packaging tape trick!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I like the interface and the sound output is actually quite good, although I must admit it sounds better amped. I can't want to getting around to playing with all of its other features, especially the video, though I'll need to locate an mp4 encoder.

Build quality is top-notch by the way. iPods dream of having such a brick-like feel to them. I can appreciate a nice aluminum case every once in a while. It is a bit heavy, though, but fortunately that is due to the fact that I have 30 or so hours of battery life.

Thanks for any help.

1a-i usually just move volume up or down to get the backlight back on. using the joystick, for me at least, is always easier than messing with the buttons on the side.

5-you know you can make them on the fly right? thats how i always do it, but i (and i'm not positive if this works but it should) bet you could just use the software, or drag and drop, to put files in the 'playlist' folder. oh yeah, i thought i may have read something about using m3u playlists before, havent tried it but worth looking into.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteShadow
MD1032:

I can't wait for you to post the pics, because I am looking into buying the x5l 30gb and I would to know how big it is and how the video and interface looks like in person.

i, as well as many others i'm sure, will tell you its a great buy. probably the best purchase i've made in a long time. i liked it alot while using my crappy sony mdr-v300s, but adding shure e4g's to the mix changes things all together. i've never heard music like this before, since i'm fairly new to the head-fi game. puts my stereo and computer sound card to shame.

the first thing i noticed was that pictures made it seem taller than it actually was. its pretty short, 4".

video is decent. not a major selling point for the product because there are dap's with better video playback. i hardly ever use this feature but its nice to know its there.

i'll be taking some pictures in a few days as well, but you can also check out
http://www.iaudiophile.net/gallery/index.php?cat=2
for various shots of the unit and interface. (the screen looks tons better in person). iaudiophile is a great resource.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Thanks for any help.

4.) Theres no need to stop a track as the pause button serves the same purpose. Not to be rude, but why would you want to stop the track in the middle of playing it?

5.) I use foobar2000. Simply load up your music directory into foobar and create the playlists you want and then save the playlists (as .m3u files) into the playlists folder on the X5. You can also use winamp and a whole load of other programs.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 25
Here are a couple of shots I took. They're a little blurry cause I'm no camera expert. Anywho, I was surprised about how small the x5l is. Goes in my pocket as easy as a pack of smokes. See for yourself.

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for the pics(it looks smaller than I thought). Does the joystick feel loose like it would break in a few months?

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 25
I'm not too worried about the joystick. I usually just put on an album or playlist & stick the x5 in my pocket. So I don't use it too much.

Some people do have problems though. Search "joystick" at the iaudiophile.net x5 forums and you'll see the typical problems with the joystick.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 25
when i got mines it was alot smaller than i expected. the joystick has gotten a little loose since i bought it but i dont really use it alot. probably just to browse through a playlist and let it go on random.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 25
Sorry, no pics today either. All Shore practice ate my evening.

The joystick is pretty nice to be honest. The MZ-S1's stick was always a little hard to operate at first, though with a little breaking in it would improve. But this one has a very nice click to it and it doesn't feel like it should be breaking anytime soon.

Paolo, thanks a lot. This is a lot more convenient.

The pictures always seem to make this thing look big, but in reality it's a little less wide than the ipod, about twice the height in the highest point, and about the same length. It is quite heavy though, but I like that. It has an extremely solid feel to it.

Pictures don't look too hot on it so far, but I have yet to try video. The screen's resolution is definitely way less than that of an ipod's. Then again, you have at least twice the battery life.

This plastic thing is pretty cheesy and I'm getting the docking station as well as a case. What case would you guys recommend? I used the line-out today and it proved to be more effective than the maxed headphone output when I connected it to my friend's car radio.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Paolo-
Uh oh, I haven't studied for this test...

1 a) Push the power slide all the way up and release, don't hold it or it will turn off.

1 b) Press the Record button.

2 ) I always have transferred with the Charger in place. Its just a habit of mine.

3 ) (M) is main unit (R) is for remote. I think you can only control the backlight, the secondary goes by itself.

4 ) I don't understand what you're trying to do... If you want to start the song over when turning it on, turn off auto play and/or resume.

5 ) Try using this. I've tried it, didn't like it though.

Paolo,

What didn't you like about the id3browse? It seems like it would do the job pretty well......

I'd like to find a way to make some genre or year based (both would rock) playlists; ie, all metal genre from 1986-1992

Anyway, I do love my X5, hope you all enjoy yours!

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Sorry, no pics today either. All Shore practice ate my evening.

The joystick is pretty nice to be honest. The MZ-S1's stick was always a little hard to operate at first, though with a little breaking in it would improve. But this one has a very nice click to it and it doesn't feel like it should be breaking anytime soon.

Paolo, thanks a lot. This is a lot more convenient.

The pictures always seem to make this thing look big, but in reality it's a little less wide than the ipod, about twice the height in the highest point, and about the same length. It is quite heavy though, but I like that. It has an extremely solid feel to it.

Pictures don't look too hot on it so far, but I have yet to try video. The screen's resolution is definitely way less than that of an ipod's. Then again, you have at least twice the battery life.

This plastic thing is pretty cheesy and I'm getting the docking station as well as a case. What case would you guys recommend? I used the line-out today and it proved to be more effective than the maxed headphone output when I connected it to my friend's car radio.

hmm...thats something new...last time I checked(pretty extensively), the headphone out had a much cleaner signal compared to the line out...anyway if you wanna go with the line out, check out this DIY cable from here:
http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3105

theres no locking mechanism on the docking station and it has the tendency to come off...

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 25
Mostly because my mp3's have some rouge files with some messed up ID3 tags. I used Tag&Rename with no avail though.

I like what the program does, but its just how the X5 handles playlists, they cant be in folders, so there goes some organization...

Plus I sort my files by X:\Music\Artist\Album\## - title.mp3
And it didn't do so well with Various Artist CD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back