Got my Headmaster, first impressions inside.
Sep 21, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #16 of 54
I edited my post above so that it would show the version that you have, or not. LED light, does it come with the RC?

Oh, the other stacked amp is this :

Bijouampm.jpg

HEADMASTER PRE-AMPLIFIER
The SUGDEN HeadMaster is a dedicated Pre-amplifier and Headphone amplifier with exceptional qualities of musical performance. It has been specially developed to extend the boundaries of audio pleasure into the ultimate near-field listening conditions. It is suitable for use with most commercial headphones.

The unit is equipped with three stereo input facilities, a parallel tape output, and a switched pre amplifier output. These facilities create a very flexible piece of equipment, which can operate as a stand alone dedicated headphone system or be combined as a high quality pre-amp in a total audio system. The special design features of the amplifier circuitry have been incorporated to enhance headphone performance but also facilitate a very high quality pre-amplifier performance.

The amplifier signal path configuration is pure Class A constructed completely from discreet components. The application of the Class A circuit has been optimised to obtain its characteristic benefits of superb low level listening and low distortion. Particularly important to the use of headphones is the inherent avoidance with the Class A configuration of odd and high order harmonic distortion. The amplifier is wide bandwidth with a very neutral and transparent sound stage through the full musical spectrum and volume range.

Specifications:
Inputs: Three stereo pairs.
Input Impedance: 50K
Input sensitivity: 150mv in for 1volt output
Outputs: Switched headphone socket / Attenuated Pre Amp out Tape-out
Output Impedance: 4Ohms to 56kOhms
Power output: 5.5volts at onset of clipping
Bandwidth: -3dB points 10Hz & 270kHz
Frequency response: +-0.3dB 20Hz-25kHz
Signal to noise: > 90dB
Dimensions: 230mm x 265mm x 82mm [wdh] weight 3.5kg

NOTE: The Headmaster has now been upgraded with a Sugden RC5 remote control handset.

Sep 21, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Yeah, it would be cool to have the remote. But I would've had to wait for an undetermined amount of time and possibly also face a raise in price. AFAIK they haven't made it sound better, so I went for the old one.

That makes sense, well if you think about it a RC for a Headphone amp is pretty silly idea
tongue.gif

So the pics aboves are the newer ones?

Sep 21, 2001 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 54
bootman: I don't know if they ship to the states. E-mail them at info@audioconsult.dk and ask, but beware that they sell the 240V european version. I also think I got the last one, or at least one of the last ones.

KR...: The pics you posted last (the tower) are probably of the latest version. Unless of course the remote adds something else in which case the one in the pic is the one I have.

Sep 21, 2001 at 6:36 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

The site that I post sells both the UK and US versions.
Just in case they ran out of models at the place that mcbiff got his.

Good idea. But beware also of the fact that stoneaudio charge quite a bit more. That could be because of our crappy currency, but still. However, I think they actually have the version with the remote if that's important.

Quote:

Originally posted by flashbak
bootman,
He already has a kickass system!

Thanks a lot, that's really nice to hear. Now I'm even more happy.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 6:43 PM Post #30 of 54
I think that extra box you guys mentioned and is shown as part of the tower Headmaster is actually the Ampmaster. This is a 34W power amp which is part of the new Sugden Bijou series which includes the Headmaster (pre-amp) and the CDMaster (cd player, transport on top, dac below). Although 34W may not sound like much, Sugden is very well known for pure Class A power. Their famous A21A 25W integrated has been known to put to shame a few 100W or greater amps when it comes to driving power.

I believe bootman posted a pic of the full Bijou system. Now, if only I have the money....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back