Got my HD600s and Clou Red
Jan 8, 2002 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nezer

Antibacterial soap... kills bacteria... bad karma?
Thx utdeep!

But I can't use them yet.
frown.gif

I'm an idiot and forgot the Clou Red had the 1/4" jack instead of the 3.5mm jack. And of all the adapters I have around here not a single one is what I need (isn't that how it always is?)!!!

Anyway I sampled out of my Sony reciever and it sounded comparable to the K501s in that there was no low bass. I need that adapter to hear these from my Corda!!

I've got to make a Radio Shack run tomorrow morning, anyone need anything while I'm there?

Jan 8, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 19
I had the same situation when I got it, but fortunately the cosmic was fine with it. What's the deal with having three different plug sizes? microplugs, miniplugs, and really big plugs... any difference in sound?
Anyway, enjoy the HD600/Clou Red!!!

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 19
I don't buy that the bigger ones sound better. If they do I doubt that any normal human could hear the difference.

Anyway I went to RS and go an adapter.

I'm on my second CD and these are noticably darker and yet more refined than the 501s. They are better to my ears for sure on most things where I found the 501s too bright.

Slightly more detailed than the 501s.

Overall a step-up but I think the law of diminishing returns has kicked in. I paid $300 for the Clou/HD600 combo and $112 for the K-501s. They are better but if I had to quantify it I'd have to say only about 30-50% better and not 300% better.

The soundstage is better on the 501s and the mids are also better but *everything* else is better on the HD600s. And these things are comfy!!

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 19
Hey Nez
I hope you are using Senn HD600/Clou Red with 0 ohm output of Corda, sound much better there. I find the Senn sounds more 3D vs AKG 501, 501 are wide but 600 have more percieved depth. I found bass impact much better with Senn HD600/Clou Red vs 501.
Again because our sources and IC/AC cables are different you may experience something different.

Also you need 100hrs of play time before any real observations can be made. I still feel the Senn HD600/Clou Red is slightly better in all respects vs Akg 501.......others taste may differ, but they really sound quite different.

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Overall a step-up but I think the law of diminishing returns has kicked in. I paid $300 for the Clou/HD600 combo and $112 for the K-501s. They are better but if I had to quantify it I'd have to say only about 30-50% better and not 300% better.

I think that's a very fair statement. I find the HD600/Clou combo better at everything, but, like you, probably 30-50% better, rather than 300% better.

Jan 8, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Hey Nez
I hope you are using Senn HD600/Clou Red with 0 ohm output of Corda, sound much better there. I find the Senn sounds more 3D vs AKG 501, 501 are wide but 600 have more percieved depth. I found bass impact much better with Senn HD600/Clou Red vs 501.
Again because our sources and IC/AC cables are different you may experience something different.

Also you need 100hrs of play time before any real observations can be made. I still feel the Senn HD600/Clou Red is slightly better in all respects vs Akg 501.......others taste may differ, but they really sound quite different.

I haven't even thought of trying the 120-Ohm output! These are borderline too dark into the 0-Ohm output.

The setup was used so break-in is probably going to gain me very little if anything.

The bass impact *is* *MUCH* better with the 600s. Actually, the 600s *HAVE* bass impact where the 501s really don't.

Now, these are both great headphones but two totally different personalities. If I *had* to choose just one it would be the HD600s. But if I had to buy just one it woul dbe the 501s becasue I think they are a better bargin. Of course, for bargins I do have the Koss... So if I were in utdeep's position, I'd stick with the Koss as the law of diminshing returns *really* kicks in after those headphones!!

Anywho, I'm happy with both and I'l probably be focusing on aquiring an OTL MG head followed by Etys followed by some better sources and ICs. I'm thinking both SACD and DVD-A right now. However, that PJB100 will be a big part of my listening because it's so damned convienient!

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Did I mention these things are "Supa" comfy? This stiff cable is slightly annoying but I can live with it.

I've changed my mind about the 600s being more refined than the 501s. I think it's almost a toss-up here *slightly* in favor of the 501s. However, I think a lot depends on the source and material.

I'd have to say that anyone on a budget should look at the 501s before the 600s. If the 580s are close in price that could make for a tough call between those and the 501s. A very tough call if the 580s are anywhere near these 600s.

I think I've found heaven between these two headphones.

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 19
Nezer,
You don't have Etys yet... don't get comfortable with your current cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 19
Nezer, how do the 501s sound with the Corda HA-1?

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by danieln
Nezer, how do the 501s sound with the Corda HA-1?

The Corda drives the 501s pretty well. However, I have *no* doubt what so ever that a Max would do a better job but I *highly* doubt it's proportional to the price difference. They do not sound "dead" through the Corda at all. The Corda drives them well and brings out a lot of details.

Now, my PJB100 also had enough power to drive the 501s! I didn't have a lot of headroom in the volume but it provided enough juice suprisingly enough. The headphone jack on the PJB is actually pretty beefy for a portable.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
Nezer,
You don't have Etys yet... don't get comfortable with your current cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Uggh...
wink.gif

Actually I think the AKGs and Senns will still have a use after the Etys. Most of my listening are places where I need to hear a phone ring but I want detail that the Koss just don't have.

But, if the Etys are as good as everyone says, I might have to rig-up a device that shocks me whenever the phone rings.

Jan 9, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Peanut Jelly and Butter sandwich.
wink.gif

It's a portable hard disk-based MP3 player. http://www.pjbox.com for more info. Really great device!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back