Got my HD 600s!.....
Apr 19, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by zodiac154
OK...
I think u have something wrong there...
Are you sure?
i think u shoudl take a look at the specs for the soundcards...

Audigy platinum gives one of the best digital
5.1 sound....

At lesat im pretty sure Audigy Platinum > Hercules
Yea i already have the platinum etc. etc.

gravity154 is my AIM which i use most often
i also use icq blah blah but.. yea just hit me up on aim

Audigy Platinum isn't much more than a warmed over, slightly less hissy version of the SBLive. the cards are mostly the same... the Audigy calls itself a 24/96 card, but they are lying. The fact is, they upsample the 16 bit stream (what the card works at) to 24/96 at the very end, which causes a degredation in sound quality from the original 16 bit signal. The Santa Cruz, a true 16 bit sound card, actually has better sound than the audigy. Also, you seem to think that digital is better than analog. This is NOT the case!! What matters is the QUALITY of the DAC, what changes the digital signal to analog, not WHERE it is! Yea, you can do 5.1 digital gaming with the creative lab's sound card and creative lab's speakers.... (hence the "D" in 510D) and no real other speakers.... and what use is the audigy's digital out with your promedias?

But since the DAC in the Santa Cruz is better than the internal processes of the Audigy and it is better than the DAC in the 510D, well, than I would definitely be thinking of an analog connection with the cruz for my 5.1 system....

Games are kinda wierd--you can't get true 5.1 sound in games outside of an audigy sound card. Of course, you could use digital or analog with the audigy and the 510D's, without any major increase in sound quailty...but, well, the question is, so? In a pure fidelity standpoint, a nice $300 4.1 system with the santa cruz would have better sound quality in GAMES than your audigy and 510D.

Now, let's talk about DVD's.... things get interesting here. Most sound cards can pass through AC3 to a dolby digital decoder in the speaker system... but not all. Lots of times, it depends on the software you use. AC3 pass through was added to the audigy at the *last minute* and support for it isn't that great... but it is pretty easy to get AC3 pass through with the Santa Cruz. Of course, you would only want this if your dolby digital decoder in the speakers was better than the one in your sound card or your software, which often isn't the case. In fact, with the software "PowerDVD XP 4.0" out, you can get INCREDIBLE dolby digital 5.1 decoding in software, which could then be output at a VERY high sound quality to the Santa Cruz's analog outputs to whatever 5.1 multimedia system you like!

In fact, in pure fidelity, I would take the PowerDVD XP 4.0 + Turtle Beach Santa Cruz + Monsoon MH-505 (a $130 5.1 speaker system with better mids, upper mids, and highs than the Klipsch's or Cambridge speakers) over most of what you are suggesting.

Apr 20, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 38
I'd be reluctant to put the GTXP ahead of the Audigy, mainly because of the added noise the external box adds and the fact that Hercules aren't the greatest when it comes to driver updates.

Having said that, if I had to choose between an Audigy Platinum EX and the GTXP, I'd go the GTXP and spend the money saved on other things.

Zodiac: don't fall for Creative hype - the Audigy, Audigy Platunum and Platinum EX all have the exact same sound quality, so your Audigy Platinum sounds no better than the cheapie vanilla Audigy cards you can get, you just get a lot more I/O options with the platinum that 95% of people who buy the card don't use.

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 38
Why on earth are you guys suggesting consumer level sound cards?
confused.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #21 of 38
Unfortunately, A&M, some high-end "audiophile" cards with Direct Sound drivers can only produce 8-bit 11kHz mono sound from DirectSound games (even if the gaming sounds were originally recorded in 16-bit 44.1kHz stereo) - and some that rely on software emulation for the major 3D APIs severely degrade the frame rate in games. Blame the former on crappy DirectSound drivers; the latter, on poor implementation of the software-based API emulators.

Apr 20, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 38
And you need good positioning and eax to be competitive and win in games, especially when you are serious about your frags, and winning money for sport in computer games.

Anything to up that frag count....

Apr 20, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #23 of 38
yup, from my klipsch 5.1 and my choice of audigy -
it should be clear i am a gamer - and my computer audio
i guess i will use primarily for gaming.

Well, its not like i do not use hte live drive or anything entirely
I'm a lazy person so when im watching movies on my computer
from quite a ways back (i have a 23 inch monitor)
I can control all my applications such as the movie or what not
with a controller - which is nifty... But yea.. i have to admit its
prolly not worth all that money =P

theres my attempt to justify my poorly spent dollars

However, i do believe i can still set up another pci slot
for a quality audio card.. then again, I'm under the impression
that no matter what, the computer is no source for
true quality audio -

I'll just obtain a decent component cd player and a headamp
for that. Possibly... make a headamp - which is what im venturing
out to do

Seems like fun
wink.gif

-Zodiac

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 38
Zodiac:

I'd go with a component cd player instead of adding another card.

As for the computer card issue. I've just ordered an audigy platinum because I like the way it looks and I need to fill up an empty slot in my computer case
biggrin.gif
I also use the promedias and I like 'em, damn it!

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 38
IMHO the most versatile card out there is the Terratec DMX 6 fire...

it can do 24/96 output, EAX, A3D...supports 5.1 output, has an external drive like the audigy platinum and should be able to match the prosumer cards like audiophile 2496 in sound quality

I have not heard it but according to most specs and reviews its a very clean sounding card

though its win XP drivers are not very stable yet
ofcourse at USD250 its not cheap either
anyways just thot i would mention it

cheers
RawHit

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 38
Is that from personal experience Eagle? Games work just fine for me. Why even use 3D sound API? You get much better imaging through high fidelity stereo sound than processed mush. Games should be coded with DTS or AC3, that would actually be useful.

Gluegun, rofl, no comment.

Apr 20, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #27 of 38
ahhah darkclouds yea me too
i saw taht it was the coolest soundcard on sharky extreme
and i have a full tower and yea... just decided to fill one
of those slots up

Yea, i am deciding on getting a component CD player
or one of those ubber l33t old CD players for quality sound
J0, can anyone recommend a good component CD player
that might not cost too much?

Hmm....

I suppose all this will require that i go and scrounge up/buy
all my old cds that i had originally converted to mp3 ...

I'm assuming i can still burn individual tracks from CDs
to create my own personal mix without destroying any of the
audio quality right? correct me if im wrong-

Zodiac

Apr 20, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #28 of 38
Rawhit,

So far, the 6Fire's XP drivers aren't just a little unstable... they REALLY suck for gaming to the point where it isn't worth it to game with such a card!

Audio&Me,

You don't know what you are talking about... as of now, the imaging in the Creative line of sound cards for games sucks.. but have you ever HEARD a Sensaura-based card do two speaker, headphone, or four speaker imaging? Or better yet, have you heard how the Sensaura-based XBox images?

Oh, and the NForce, which supports AC3 encoding for games, is just adding another, reduntant step from plain old 5.1 game surround sound. If I want 5.1 surround sound in games that kicks ass, I get an Audigy and wait for EAX HD games to come out. If I want 2.1, 4.1, or headphone gaming to have SERIOUS imaging, I get a Sensaura-based card. If I want to see 5.1 Sensaura imaging, I get an XBox and play Halo.

Apr 20, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #30 of 38
Gluegun, yes I have, thought they sucked. What difference does that make anyhow? Let me ask this, have you heard any GOOD imaging to even know what the hell imaging is???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back