Got my HD 600s!.....
Apr 19, 2002 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

MakoFury

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, they came today, nice box, and very comfortable. I've only plugged em into my Sb Live sound card and they sounded pretty good. I know that SB live sux and Im definitely definitely definitely gonna get an amp next week. I still haven't tried them out on my Sony DVP S7700 Dvd player, which would probably be better sound than my $20 sound card =). Also, could someone clarify what exactly an amp will help? Because I have my sound turned up pretty high, and the headphones are loud enough, however when I had my EX 70LP ear buds I had to turn all the sound on my computer very low. I guess this is the 16ohm v. 300 ohm impedance. Will the amp bring out a bigger soundstage, stronger bass, and better mids/highs? Thanks!

MakoFury

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by MakoFury
Will the amp bring out a bigger soundstage, stronger bass, and better mids/highs? Thanks!
MakoFury

All of the above and then some!!

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 38
*sigh* Impedance is not about volume and neither is an amp. An amp is about the same volume without distortions.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 38
Well, I got ahold of him, and he should be improving his source a bunch....

I showed him encspot, which told him some of the relative quality of his mp3's (mostly reds, a some yellows, a few greens... ouch....), and i got him to start using the MAD plugin for winamp, and he is probably going to buy the turtle beach santa cruz to replace his sblive, so he'll get better headphone gaming and better sound quality.... and, he's getting an MG head..

Still, he needs to get that cruz and get as many 'green' mp3's as possible in order for that system to be REMOTELY worth the price....

Apr 19, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 38
whats this i hear about "green" mp3s... hahaha what does this mean... what would qualify as green.. red.. etc.

oh if ound it.. i have thousands of mp3s.. hopefully most will turn out green
wink.gif

what is hte MAD plugin?

Apr 19, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 38
I see i see.. hehe most of mine are yellow bah...
man encspot doesnt look under each folder -

I have my mp3s stored in a very organized fashion
Each under their respective artists...
I organized this even further but i wont go into that
hahaha

i have to go into each folder individually? that will take FOREVER
anyway

what is this MAD plugin that u speak of?
i currently use the Enhancer plugin for winamp

Apr 19, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 38
Enhancer is a DSP.... with a good set of headphones, you should be able to notice the sound degredation of mp3 quality with enhancer.

Anyway, MAD simply replaces the code used to decode the mp3's with a better DLL.... instead of mucking about with the sound of the mp3's after the fact....

http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/mad-plugin/

You have to install it, than read the .txt.

It tells you to move it's .dll to one folder, and an move an older one to somewhere else.

Than you set the settings for the program in configurations... Choose 16 bit.

I think the "Pro" version of Encspot can check all folders at once... i dunno for sure.

zodiac, what's your sound card?

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 38
Hey, I just plugged in the Senn 600s to my Sony DVP S7700 DVD/CD player. WOW, it sounds soooo much better than through my sound card. Everything is so detailed and clear. I can't wait to hear what these sound like through the MG tube amp. Thx to everyone who helped me choose my headphone/amp setup. Greatly Appreciated!

Very happy with Senn 600s,

MakoFury

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 38
The Audigy platinum, the best sound card available? Not a chance.

For all of the consumer cards that do EAX, here is a rough pecking order of sound quality:

Sound Blaster Live < Nvidia NForce < Sound Blaster Audigy < Hercules Game Theater XP < Philips Acoustic Edge < Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Also, you can get the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, which also has the best gaming headphone algorithms for positioning, for $45 USD before shipping and handling, OEM, online. Also, all of the Audigy's are really the same, so if you didn't need the mostly useless live drive/ waste of money metal box thingy, you could have bought an Audigy OEM for $57 + S&H.

However, the Audigy does 5.1 gaming, which should be useful with whatever 5.1 system you get, be it a one that is good for music, games and dvd's like the Cambridge 510D or a dvd/game and NOT music -specific system like the Klipsch Promedia 5.1. If you care more about 5.1 gaming in the FUTURE than you do about sound quality and dvd quality and headphone positioning and 4.1 gaming right now, than the Audigy is good.

Here's a good comparison of the 510D and Promedia 5.1:
http://www.extremetech.com/print_art...a=24415,00.asp

So...
5.1 gaming with okay positioning today - audigy
4.1 gaming with best positioning today - cruz
4.1 gaming with okay positioning today - cruz
5.1 gaming with best positioning tomorrow - audigy
okay eax today - cruz
best eax today - audigy
even better eax tomorrow - audigy
best headphone game positioning today - cruz
best headphone game positioning tomorrow - cruz
best sound quality today - cruz
best sound quality tomorrow - cruz
best dvd quality - cruz
best drivers today - cruz
okay to bad drivers today - audigy
best game compatibility today - audigy
extremely good game compatibility today - cruz

The good news is that the Audigy Platinum is going for lots of money on ebay...

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 38
...And if you do not really play games/need all those gaming APIs, sound cards in the prosumer range would be even better, such as the Audiophile 24/96, which offer superior sound quality and the ability to add external DACs for even better quality...

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 38
He's getting an Audigy Platinum and a Promedia 5.1

Therefore, he *IS* a gamer!

Zodiac, do you have AIM, ICQ, Yahoo messenger, or MSN messenger?

Think you could update your profile and add them, or just message me?

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 38
OK...
I think u have something wrong there...
Are you sure?
i think u shoudl take a look at the specs for the soundcards...

Audigy platinum gives one of the best digital
5.1 sound....

At lesat im pretty sure Audigy Platinum > Hercules
Yea i already have the platinum etc. etc.

gravity154 is my AIM which i use most often
i also use icq blah blah but.. yea just hit me up on aim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back